Well, I already posted my first comments here:

But, I'm hoping we might get more first impressions in this thread. Inquiring minds want to know...

I have had only about 1.5 hours thus far to set up the phone and get used to it. I didn't even have to call Verizon or follow the activation instructions on the card. The phone told me to press a button and activation was done in only a few minutes.

The screen is gorgeous (of course, coming from a Curve anything might look beautiful). Just gorgeous. I'm floored -- in a happy way!

Coming from 2 Treo's and 1 BB Curve - all phones that had a physical keyboard - it is a very odd yet pleasing experience to type solely on the on-screen keyboard. I mean, the phone's auto correction works so well, I can just tap away and my words come out right. I actually started laughing as I came to the realization that the phone is doing all the work while I type - big change from the BB on OS 4.x.

Typing might have sucked more if the phone had lag issues. Since the phone doesn't lag at all (even with the animated background, I'm seeing no lag yet), typing and navigation around the phone is fun/easy.

Made only one call - partly with the earpiece and partly on speakerphone since I use that feature A LOT every day. The person on the other end of the call heard me perfectly, and I was happy that I heard them clearly with excellent sound. I like that the phone will go dark while you talk; then, automatically wake up as soon as you move the phone away from your ear -- the phone is immediately ready for input as soon as you're ready to do something.

By default, the browser was set to mobile view. I turned that off as I thought to myself, "WTH, is this a BB? I don't need no stinkin' mobile view anymore." The browser is sweet.

I'll answer any questions I can. Wish I had more time, but I have to leave for a while.

Looking forward to reading other first impressions when I return, too.

BTW, I don't know why people complain about Sense. I love this interface!
    04-27-10 07:52 PM
    The phone is awesome!

1) No lag
    2) Easy to get used to
    3) Gorgeous screen
    4) Touchscreen is amazingly responsive
    5) Phone is loud and clear
    6) Navigating through screens is as smooth as it gets
    7) Setting up your e-mail is incredible easy
    8) E-mailing services are at least 10 times faster than the ones on the droid
    9) Camera has been wonderful, but haven't used the flash yet
    10) Trackpad is very responsive, sensitive and precise.

A delight to see something work the way its supposed to right out of the box.
    04-27-10 08:39 PM
    Hopefully ill be saying the same thing in a few days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 08:49 PM
    awesome feedback butcherbird!! i cant wait to ditch my tour for this bad boy. so, i have some follow-up questions for you:

1) I was wondering about the activation that you mentioned. So, are you allowed to choose your network and then that is when the activation takes place while your going thru the initial set-up? also, is it at this same time when you can set-up wi-fi? or is that done at another time during set-up?

2) do you use multiple mail accounts? e.g. yahoo, hotmail, and gmail? if so, do all of these mail clients push or pull to the device?

3) Have you tried FriendStream yet? What is this like? What are the intervals for receiving new info. And does it pick up where you left off? Or when you use the widget does it just open and show your social timeline w/o any order?

Thanks,
    04-27-10 08:56 PM
    I'm really curious about the battery. Read on another forum that it drops to 20% after 2.5 hours of real use (4 hour total time on) after using it for a week.
    04-27-10 09:10 PM
    I have always had a Blackberry Curve and the only experience I have with a touch-screen comes from messing around with the original Storm for 10 minutes. I was not a huge fan of the Storm's touch-screen.

Is the Incredible's touch-screen anything like the Storm? I imagine it isn't too similar since they are two different companies making the phones.

Other questions:

- I've heard that sunlight is the "kryptonite" to the Incredible. Have you noticed this?

- Is smudging an issue with the screen? Like I said, I don't have much experience with touch-screens and I've always wondered if this would be a problem...

- I know these phones are based on Google or whatever. I do not use Google a ton (although I can start)....is it a bad idea for me to get the phone if I'm not HUGE into all of the stuff Google has to offer? I have a GPS in my car so I really don't have any need to use Google Maps. I do have a Gmail account that I rarely use....but I'm considering making a new one if I do get the Incredible.
    04-27-10 09:11 PM
    I'd also like to know about the multiple emails... I don't use gmail, so, Im curious if other accounts can/will be pushed to the device.

Thanks!
    04-27-10 09:14 PM
    So is the email program on it better than the Droid or is it the same lousy program?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 09:16 PM
    Multiple e-mails run perfectly and they are all fast and easy to identify with sense.

Also, the keyboard is such a delight. I don't think there is a better keyboard on a touchscreen device to date. I can type very very very fast already and I've had the phone for only a few hours.
    04-27-10 09:20 PM
    I'm really curious about the battery. Read on another forum that it drops to 20% after 2.5 hours of real use (4 hour total time on) after using it for a week.
    Battery is not great to be really honest, but that can be solved with the new extended battery that is coming out.
    04-27-10 09:24 PM
    Battery is not great to be really honest, but that can be solved with the new extended battery that is coming out.
    i just need for it to get me thru the day which is what i expect for a smartphone. ive heard the battery can last at least this long.
    04-27-10 09:29 PM
    The phone is awesome!
    8) E-mailing services are at least 10 times faster than the ones on the droid
    LOL dude, 10 times faster than mine? Wait, the android OS on the HTC hardware will give you exponentially faster email than android OS on the Motorola hardware? I am either going to have to LMAO so hard that it hurts, or can you just explain how that's possible
    a chromosome is a chromosome is a chromosome...
    google is google is google right? If they put some sort of enterprise in that snapdragon processor that is pushing more than GMail, I am going to wonder how they fit that in there Everything else you say is dead on from what I have read.
    04-27-10 09:32 PM
    =\ That's not good. Thats the one thing I love with my tour, it can last me a day and a half in heavy use.
    04-27-10 09:33 PM
    Well, I already posted my first comments here:

But, I'm hoping we might get more first impressions in this thread. Inquiring minds want to know...
    I happen to love HTC's skin over the android OS. It is the best IMHO. I had the sense UI on my Eris, and the hardware sucked, but the software is sick. It looks like sense UI has improved since then, and having it on a phone as powerful as the incredible has to be an awesome feeling. Is the battery that bad? Can it get through a day with moderate use as the OLEDS should really cut down on consumption.
    04-27-10 09:41 PM
    =\ That's not good. Thats the one thing I love with my tour, it can last me a day and a half in heavy use.
    Ohhh..... Then you are good. The Tour is around the same when it comes to battery.
    04-27-10 10:21 PM
    Is the screen wider than the Droids?
    Thanks
    04-27-10 10:22 PM
    LOL dude, 10 times faster than mine? Wait, the android OS on the HTC hardware will give you exponentially faster email than android OS on the Motorola hardware? I am either going to have to LMAO so hard that it hurts, or can you just explain how that's possible
    a chromosome is a chromosome is a chromosome...
    google is google is google right? If they put some sort of enterprise in that snapdragon processor that is pushing more than GMail, I am going to wonder how they fit that in there Everything else you say is dead on from what I have read.

What's faster is loading the e-mails. On my droid I get around 30 e-mails at night every day, and every morning I have to go through every e-mail. When I'm going through my e-mails sometimes it takes a while to load certain e-mails, and with the Incredible there is no WAIT for it to load. That's what I meant to say. Its very very snappy.
    04-27-10 10:24 PM
    Is the screen wider than the Droids?
    Thanks
    I didn't even see. I checked out how think and wide they are, but not the screen... My bad, but I will get back at you tomorrow morning. Sorry buddy I left my Droid at the office
    04-27-10 10:25 PM
    Does delivery confirmation work when texting/sms'ing ?
    04-27-10 10:26 PM
    What's faster is loading the e-mails. On my droid I get around 30 e-mails at night every day, and every morning I have to go through every e-mail. When I'm going through my e-mails sometimes it takes a while to load certain e-mails, and with the Incredible there is no WAIT for it to load. That's what I meant to say. Its very very snappy.
    OK, that makes since. Yeah, from what I have seen, that phone is fast and furious. LOL, I thought you meant email delivery, he he, sorry.
    04-27-10 10:47 PM
    Multiple e-mails run perfectly and they are all fast and easy to identify with sense.

Also, the keyboard is such a delight. I don't think there is a better keyboard on a touchscreen device to date. I can type very very very fast already and I've had the phone for only a few hours.
    So, can I take this as multiple emails can/will be pushed to the device, not JUST gmail...?

Thanks!
    04-27-10 10:55 PM
    Thanks for the reviews guys, much appreciated. I have been sitting on an old curve for awhile because I haven't seen anything to exciting. I was going to pre-order, but I wanted to go in the store and play around with it since I have historically not been a huge fan of touch screens. I am seeing several reviews (including cnet) that mention how great the typing is. Hopefully this will quiet some of the Apple drones that sit by me
    04-27-10 10:58 PM
    Performance wise, how is it compared to the N1?
    04-27-10 11:33 PM
    Does the e-mail have the option to make the font larger llike the Eris?

Sal, I totally understand what you are saying about the e-mail loading up faster. Thats the one thing that drove me nuts on the Motorola or Eris.
    04-27-10 11:43 PM
    I don't have time on the Droid or the N1; so, those questions will have to be answered by others.

1) I was wondering about the activation that you mentioned. So, are you allowed to choose your network and then that is when the activation takes place while your going thru the initial set-up? also, is it at this same time when you can set-up wi-fi? or is that done at another time during set-up?
    Honestly, I breezed through activation so casually. Had I known anyone would ask for details, I would have have paid closer attention. I'll say this...as an EXISTING VZW customer, activation required minimal user input.

There was a time to set up the following during the setup wizard (not during activation earlier), but I skipped it and set up wi-fi myself later:
    * mobile network & wi-fi
    * wi-fi only

Then, later in the set up wizard, you are given the option to activate VZ's Backup Assistant, a Google account, MS Exchange & other email service.

2) do you use multiple mail accounts? e.g. yahoo, hotmail, and gmail? if so, do all of these mail clients push or pull to the device?
    I use Gmail & several Google Apps-based email services for work. Both Gmail & Apps accounts can be added via the Gmail app, which I love.

I tried setting up my yahoo email address, but I don't pay Yahoo for POP access (why would I -- Google gives it for free? lol) and setup failed - could not connect to server.

3) Have you tried FriendStream yet? What is this like? What are the intervals for receiving new info. And does it pick up where you left off? Or when you use the widget does it just open and show your social timeline w/o any order?
    Sorry, I'm not a big Facebook or Twitter user. Someone else will give better feedback on this one.

Too early to tell about the battery. I agree with Salomondrin about probably needing an extended battery for heavy daily use. I sit at a computer most of the day; so, I'm not too concerned.

Does delivery confirmation work when texting/sms'ing ?
    I do not see a delivery indication at all.

Hopefully this will quiet some of the Apple drones that sit by me
    Does anything really shut up an Apple fanboi? lol.

Does the e-mail have the option to make the font larger llike the Eris?
    In the Gmail app, at least, I do not see an option to increase font size. The pinch zoom does not work in the Gmail app either. Sorry, I don't have any other email services set up.

---

The Google Navigation works beautifully. I love getting free turn-by-turn navigation.

---

I have noticed what I think is a bug. At the bottom of some screens (the People screen, for instance), there is a list of icons at the bottom. I have noticed that, sometimes when I leave the phone on the desk, the selected icon will jump right and select the next icon even though I'm not touching the phone. Yep, it just did it again. I wonder if this is an OS bug or interference from my home network, laptop, something?

It never happens when the phone is in my hand. It only happens when I set the phone down on my work desk - makes me suspect interference of some kind (but, bluetooth isn't even on yet).

---

I didn't know the Inc has VPN. Sweet. And, FTP capabilities as part of Bluetooth. Interesting.

---

For my Palms and BB, I had to pay for an app that could be used to record meetings & lectures. This phone has an app pre-installed, and it records very, very well (better than the BB. as good as the Palms.)
    Last edited by butcherbird; 04-27-10 at 11:56 PM.
    04-27-10 11:54 PM
204 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD