I myself was not impressed by the youtube app. My pre gives me crystal clear youtube videos. I expect nothing less from brand new smart phones. The youtube videos were infact blurry, but a little better than blackberrys ofcourse.
    One thing YOU MUST remember when watching videos on YouTube is that not all YouTube videos are of the same quality. The same is even true when watching YT videos on your desktop or laptop computer. It depends on the quality of the video uploaded. If it is not of high quality, the playback will not be high quality no matter what you're watching it on. So the same holds true for watching videos on a handheld phone, such as the DROID. Make sure you watch SEVERAL videos so that you can give a fair critique. While one may be "dissing" the phone, it could actually be that the video was of poor quality to begin with. Why else would others say they saw video that was of crystal clear quality? Let's take time to think things about before knocking something to the side.
    11-08-09 03:30 AM
    I also came from a Tour and I AM blown away. The only thing I miss about my BB is the brighter LED notification light. The overall Android OS is SO much more user friendly than BB. The screens are cleaner, more organized, and much more customizable. Google Maps loads in less than 5 seconds whereas my Tour took 10-20 seconds. The browser's are not even comparable. Yes BB has Opera but why should you have to use a 3rd party browser? I hit a button and say "navigate Starbucks" and voice guided directions pop up almost instantly directing me to the closest one....f'n sweet. I'm so impressed with the Google navigation I will never need another navigation unit.

The phone is built solid. Without question it is superior to the Tour in that respect. No loose battery door or faulty trackball. Yes the keyboard is not as nice as a Blackberry but it really is not that bad. I've actually grown to like the touchscreen keyboard, the predictive text makes it pretty effortless. If you're pounding out 1500 word essays, then yes you should look elsewhere, like at a laptop.

To the OP- I really don't think the 5-10 mins you spent in the store with the phone was enough to give it a fair comparison. I think if you actually got to use the phone for a day or so you would see how really awesome and user friendly the Android OS is. I liked my Tour a lot, but I LOVE the Droid. Bottom line- both phones are dependable and will get the job done, but I have so much more FUN doing it with the Droid.

And to those worried about push email- I get both my Gmail and work emails (Outlook) instantly on the Droid. On my Tour the Outlook account would be delayed by 5 mins or longer sometimes.
    +1 I would never go back to my Tour. I think there is an app on the way for brightening the leds. I know there are some to change colors and rate of flash. 5-10 mins with this phone and then making a judgement call is sad. I am on day 3 and still learning new things. This phone just blows me away.
    11-08-09 04:14 AM
    I myself was not impressed by the youtube app. My pre gives me crystal clear youtube videos. I expect nothing less from brand new smart phones. The youtube videos were infact blurry, but a little better than blackberrys ofcourse.
    Are you watching Youtube in HD? Cuz if you were they would look like they do on the "Pre". Go to options when watching a video and select "watch in high quality"
    11-08-09 10:59 AM
    I am the first Droid fanboy and I am proud. I can't see my self using my tour any longer. The web and texting I can type so much faster. The web is light years compared to any BB. the Droid has Apps that are useful lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 12:09 PM
    your proud to be a fanboy?

Fanboys are the reason companies don't fix their products, don't keep up with their competition and end up pushing out crappy devices because they figure no matter how crappy their product is fanboys will buy it.

Is that what you want?

Never understood the mindset of a fanboy.

And honestly I don't know why your going on the offensive against the storm. The people who bought it are in the exact same carrier as you, at any point they can go out and get a droid or even wait a few months and buy a used one. Unless you've been hired by motorola to do some advertising there is nothing for you to gain from this.

Your droid will be the exact same as their droid, it's not like your going to get extra features. If anything I would think you would want to be unique with a great phone.
    11-08-09 12:57 PM
    I agree with the OP for the most part. The Droid and Eris are both very interesting phones and impress me. They just don't blow me out of the water and BB still works for what I need it to do. Web browsing and YouTube isn't a priority of mine anymore, that's why I got rid of my iPhone and Palm Pre. And being a fanboy isn't something to be proud of.

11-08-09 01:45 PM
    AND JUST THINK THE DROID IS IN BETA, wait another 90 days or so or 2 weeks when the droid gets FLASH...HAHAHA
    11-08-09 01:55 PM
    One thing I enjoyed about the droids release versus the storms is they stuck with their market...and had apps to release with it. As a storm user... I was pissed at the application center and even more mad at the fact the basic functions of the phone I had to pay out the *** for things like "make the phone do different alerts'

To me...not the world...the only thing holding me back was the blackberry message. I will learn to use the phone for its purpose again. I don't care about youtube. I just want my phone to call in and out, not take 5 minutes to load up, and not have to give me the wonderful twitter, Facebook, browser experience, but as soon as I get a call...to lock up.

These are the gripes with the blackberry. And bottom line is this...a phone who comes out the gate doing this is worthy of my attention. I don't have the patience to download and install leaked OS' and random band-aids to make my phone enjoyable.

Hate it or love it...I don't care if Nokia released a PDA...If it makes my phone a phone...with the ability to cleanly add perks...I tip my hat. I just wish my fellow blackberry users would pay homage to a phone that is making progress. Be it iPhone, palm or android.

11-08-09 02:42 PM
    I still have my Tour (waiting to sell it) and I have a Droid Eris on my way to the house. I stood in the store for about an hour and compared the Droid and the Eris. Overall the Eris was more accurate when typing than the Droid was. The keyboard on the Droid was soft so it was hard to differentiate between each of the keys. The processing speed of the different devices wasn't noticeable to me. Overall, I was quite impressed with both phones outside of the virtual keyboard. The Sense UI on the Eris is enough for me and the Stock 2.0 Android OS on the Droid is definitely a winner. A bittersweet moment for me. Blackberry is great but the Droid seems to fulfill my email needs along with other fulfillment. I wish Blackberry had the same types of improvements but for now go Android.
    11-08-09 02:59 PM
    Sorry if I offended or rubbed the Droid user the wrong way. I've spend a good 1 and 1/2 hour, not 5 minutes. Yes, its not that long but its enough for me to realized its not enough to upgrade from my Tour and some of those little quirks were deal breakers for me. I'm a physical KB guy and the Droid just doesn't cut it. Those issues I commented on were the reason I'm holding back so why do I need to spend more time and hoping I would change my mind? Spending more time doesn't fix those issues. As far as messaging,email and phone calls on on my tour, I'm pretty damn satisfied and its some of the tours strongest features so I don't need to focus this part on the Droid. I'm willing to bet past tour user will agree with me here. Honestly, the only one thing that the Droid kills my BB is the web browser, which is a deal breaker for some but not for me. I can get by using bolt/mini5 if I needed speed with desktop view web pages. My tour is just as fast and can get the job done as efficiently, if not more. You guys are just as bad or worst then the iPhone users defending every little negative comments as if the Droid is all mighty and perfect. Please look at yourself in the mirror and realized that certain phone is not for everyone since they all come in different sizes and features. Instead of getting but*t hurt over an opinion, you should feel fortunate you have a choice to choose.

So do you own a Tour and an HTC Hero? Or, do you own a Tour and wish you had an HTC Hero? Not sure because you have the HTC Hero as your picture. I know there are many that have 2 phones and I was curious to your situation. If you do have the Hero how do you like it? Looks like a great phone.

I'm switching from the Tour to the Droid (coming on Tuesday) and there was enough to blow me away to make the switch. We each have our likes and dislikes I guess.
    11-08-09 03:09 PM
    I used a Moto Droid and it types about the same as a Storm2. I didn't bother with the flat lame physical keyboard. The screen looks about the same as the Storm also. The browser was nice I must admit. It seems like a good phone but I haven't made my mind up between the Storm or Droid yet because they type the same for me.
    11-08-09 04:32 PM
    I traded my Tour for the Hero last week since I fell in love with its sense UI. Two days later the novelty wears off and realized its limited use besides my difficulty typing on a virtue keyboard and horrid battery life was the kicker. Needless to say, I traded back for my Tour. The Droid is in a whole new ballpark though. Everything is better except for the build qaulity which I like on the Hero. If you need to get an an android OS, get the Droid hands down if you don't mind virtue KB.

So do you own a Tour and an HTC Hero? Or, do you own a Tour and wish you had an HTC Hero? Not sure because you have the HTC Hero as your picture. I know there are many that have 2 phones and I was curious to your situation. If you do have the Hero how do you like it? Looks like a great phone.

I'm switching from the Tour to the Droid (coming on Tuesday) and there was enough to blow me away to make the switch. We each have our likes and dislikes I guess.
    11-08-09 07:44 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD