Well, I've had enough time playing around with the Droid to give a fair first impression. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great of a device as I had hope for, considering I was looking to leave my Tour for one. My initial impression was enough to hold me back.

First of all the screen's clarity wasn't any better then Tour despite the higher number of pixels. I'm a resolution/hi-def freak and I can honestly say they're about the same quality to the naked eye. The only time I can see a difference is if I get a very small text from a web page to a point where you can barely see it and blow them up X5, the Droid text is a little less blurry then the Tour in this regard. If you look at the web-site normally, both unit had the same clarity and on certain website the Tour looked sharper. I was really suprised that the Tour LCD was really that good(480X360 vs 800X600?). Anyone with a Tour as a second phone, do the test that I did and see for yourself and let us know. On a side note, Eris looked much worse then both the Droid and Tour. A phone I was eying on as well. Overall, I'd rather have the Droid LCD considering the large size.

The browser is great as expected. I did a comparison test with my Tour using Opera Mini 5 and it beat the tour loading up the same page by 3-5 sec on 3G. There were a few instances, where both are about equal. Default for default the Droid kills the BB browser, but Bolt/Mini5 can hold there own pretty well.

The camera were much worse compared to the Tours. Not only does it takes forever to shoot, but the photos had a lot of noise. I test the quality of the pic by taking the same pic(Droid spec sheet display) from each phone and blowing them up and I see much more noise on the Droid and the text in the pic were unreadable.

The LED were too small and doesn't emit enough light for my liking. It looks like a small dot compared to the Bright LED from BBs. Its a big deal for me since I can look at my phone's LED from across the room and see the alert, but I would've had a hard time seeing the Droid's LED alert.

I was expecting the Youtube player to be superior, but its not much better then the Tour. Its still blurry, but not as bad as the Tour. I was expecting hi-def videos like the pre or even the iPhone. I'm blaming the Youtube feed for this though. For some reason I thought it was compatible with youtube's feed.

The OS and interface looks much better then my Tour no doubt(duh). Its sleek and I love the 3 home screen along with the widget customization. I'm not sure how much I can customize but from the reviews, it seems you can do more then BBs in this department(without using 3rd party apps). Multi tasking was a breeze though I still think the Pre is still the champ at this.

Build quality along with the flat keyboard were not too great. It wiggles and had some play when the KB is not slide out. That kinda annoyed me a little bit since I like to carry my phone in my front pocket where it moves around a lot. Just can't imagine this phone can hold the abuse. The keyboard looked and felt cheap to my hands. They felt uncomfortable when typing especially on the top row since they were to close to the bottom of the LCD making it cramped. It will take sometimes to get use to, that's for sure.

I wish I can get to messaging,emails and call department but I did not have enough time to play around. With that said, I'm not ready to upgrade just yet considering the issues above and the things the Droid do better then my Tour wasn't enough to warrant me a purchase at this point in time.

A couple of pics I took on my Tour at the Verizon store.

Last edited by noized77; 11-07-09 at 06:51 PM.
    11-07-09 06:41 PM
    Well, I've had enough time playing around with the Droid to give a fair first impression. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great of a device as I had hope for, considering I was looking to leave my Tour for one. My initial impression was enough to hold me back.

First of all the screen's clarity wasn't any better then Tour despite the higher number of pixels. I'm a resolution/hi-def freak and I can honestly say they're about the same quality to the naked eye. The only time I can see a difference is if I get a very small text from a web page to a point where you can barely see it and blow them up X5, the Droid text is a little less blurry then the Tour in this regard. If you look at the web-site normally, both unit had the same clarity and on certain website the Tour looked sharper. I was really suprised that the Tour LCD was really that good(480X360 vs 800X600?). Anyone with a Tour as a second phone, do the test that I did and see for yourself and let us know. On a side note, Eris looked much worse then both the Droid and Tour. A phone I was eying on as well. Overall, I'd rather have the Droid LCD considering the large size.

The browser is great as expected. I did a comparison test with my Tour using Opera Mini 5 and it beat the tour loading up the same page by 3-5 sec on 3G. There were a few instances, where both are about equal. Default for default the Droid kills the BB browser, but Bolt/Mini5 can hold there own pretty well.

The camera were much worse compared to the Tours. Not only does it takes forever to shoot, but the photos had a lot of noise. I test the quality of the pic by taking the same pic(Droid spec sheet display) from each phone and blowing them up and I see much more noise on the Droid and the text in the pic were unreadable.

The LED were too small and doesn't emit enough light for my liking. It looks like a small dot compared to the Bright LED from BBs. Its a big deal for me since I can look at my phone's LED from across the room and see the alert, but I would've had a hard time seeing the Droid's LED alert.

I was expecting the Youtube player to be superior, but its not much better then the Tour. Its still blurry, but not as bad as the Tour. I was expecting hi-def videos like the pre or even the iPhone. I'm blaming the Youtube feed for this though. For some reason I thought it was compatible with youtube's feed.

The OS and interface looks much better then my Tour no doubt(duh). Its sleek and I love the 3 home screen along with the widget customization. I'm not sure how much I can customize but from the reviews, it seems you can do more then BBs in this department(without using 3rd party apps). Multi tasking was a breeze though I still think the Pre is still the champ at this.

Build quality along with the flat keyboard were not too great. It wiggles and had some play when the KB is not slide out. That kinda annoyed me a little bit since I like to carry my phone in my front pocket where it moves around a lot. Just can't imagine this phone can hold the abuse. The keyboard looked and felt cheap to my hands. They felt uncomfortable when typing especially on the top row since they were to close to the bottom of the LCD making it cramped. It will take sometimes to get use to, that's for sure.

I wish I can get to messaging,emails and call department but I did not have enough time to play around. With that said, I'm not ready to upgrade just yet considering the issues above and the things the Droid do better then my Tour wasn't enough to warrant me a purchase at this point in time.

Have a a nice day with your tour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 06:58 PM
    I also came from a Tour and I AM blown away. The only thing I miss about my BB is the brighter LED notification light. The overall Android OS is SO much more user friendly than BB. The screens are cleaner, more organized, and much more customizable. Google Maps loads in less than 5 seconds whereas my Tour took 10-20 seconds. The browser's are not even comparable. Yes BB has Opera but why should you have to use a 3rd party browser? I hit a button and say "navigate Starbucks" and voice guided directions pop up almost instantly directing me to the closest one....f'n sweet. I'm so impressed with the Google navigation I will never need another navigation unit.

The phone is built solid. Without question it is superior to the Tour in that respect. No loose battery door or faulty trackball. Yes the keyboard is not as nice as a Blackberry but it really is not that bad. I've actually grown to like the touchscreen keyboard, the predictive text makes it pretty effortless. If you're pounding out 1500 word essays, then yes you should look elsewhere, like at a laptop.

To the OP- I really don't think the 5-10 mins you spent in the store with the phone was enough to give it a fair comparison. I think if you actually got to use the phone for a day or so you would see how really awesome and user friendly the Android OS is. I liked my Tour a lot, but I LOVE the Droid. Bottom line- both phones are dependable and will get the job done, but I have so much more FUN doing it with the Droid.

And to those worried about push email- I get both my Gmail and work emails (Outlook) instantly on the Droid. On my Tour the Outlook account would be delayed by 5 mins or longer sometimes.
    Last edited by Irish452; 11-07-09 at 10:18 PM.
    11-07-09 07:08 PM
    First you tell us "I played around with the Droid enough to form an opinion" then you tells us "I didn't have time to get to messaging/emails/calls". So basically, you held it, played on the internet and took some pictures. Glad you spent enough time to form an opinion. What was that... 5 minutes worth of time spent with the device?

It's fine, some people can't handle it... but seriously... LED not bright enough? Good grief.

Enjoy the Tour.
    Last edited by jeffmvr; 11-07-09 at 07:15 PM.
    11-07-09 07:10 PM
    First you tell us "I played around with the Droid enough to form an opinion" then you tells us "I didn't have time to get to messaging/emails/calls". So basically, you held it, played on the internet and took some pictures. Glad you spent enough time to form an opinion. What was that... 5 minutes worth of time spent with the device?

It's fine, some people can't handle it... but seriously... LED not bright enough? Good grief.

Enjoy the Tour.
    +1!!!! I have to agree with you.
    11-07-09 07:34 PM
    I came from the tour and the tour is amazing. I don't think you own the device. If you did you would realized this is superior to the tour. The screen Res is amazing. More Apps than anyone would need. I text and email probably 3 times quicker the browser is much bets than the tour. Email is instant. The list could go on and on. The only thing that is better on the tour is the cam.

11-07-09 07:48 PM
    it sounds to me that the op is far from his ne2 and needs to convince himself that what he has is good enough. well, i had the tour and it is a night and day difference. the browser alone was worth it, but when you add the screen, os, and market place, RIM needs to step up or their only customers will be corporate users. just my 2cents
    11-07-09 07:49 PM
    Well, coming from a Tour myself, I went the the local Verizon store and played with the droid for a while...

The only thing I could say I did not like at all was the typing. Im sure I could get used to it after a while, but even typing on the Eris right next to it was much more accurate for me.

I don't know what your talking about youtube not being much better. There was simply NO comparison between the quality of the Tours you tube vs the Droids version. Did you have it set on High Quality?

The screen was quite a bit better than the Tours, that was the very first thing I noticed.

Im going to wait till the HTC Passion comes out before I make a final decision. IM real interested to see what the Snapdragon cpu is going to be like.
    11-07-09 07:54 PM
    Well, coming from a Tour myself, I went the the local Verizon store and played with the droid for a while...

The only thing I could say I did not like at all was the typing. Im sure I could get used to it after a while, but even typing on the Eris right next to it was much more accurate for me.

I don't know what your talking about youtube not being much better. There was simply NO comparison between the quality of the Tours you tube vs the Droids version. Did you have it set on High Quality?

The screen was quite a bit better than the Tours, that was the very first thing I noticed.

Im going to wait till the HTC Passion comes out before I make a final decision. IM real interested to see what the Snapdragon cpu is going to be like.
    I myself was not impressed by the youtube app. My pre gives me crystal clear youtube videos. I expect nothing less from brand new smart phones. The youtube videos were infact blurry, but a little better than blackberrys ofcourse.
    11-07-09 08:09 PM
    I myself was not impressed by the youtube app. My pre gives me crystal clear youtube videos. I expect nothing less from brand new smart phones. The youtube videos were infact blurry, but a little better than blackberrys ofcourse.
    hmmm I don't know. The one I watched was very sharp and looked nearly HD. Did you have a good signal?

Strange...
    11-07-09 08:14 PM
    Some people will grasp at straws to justify that they can't afford to upgrade. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining/hating.

11-07-09 08:26 PM
    Some people went into Verizon trying to convince themselves that the blackberry had more so instead of going and comparing...they take a five minute walkthrough on a phone and think that makes a difference. verizon doesn't give the luxury of 30-day return for their benefit...

11-07-09 09:30 PM
    Some people will grasp at straws to justify that they can't afford to upgrade. Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining/hating.

I didn't want to say those words...but that was my alter-egos approach to the SItuation. "they probably aint got enough coins yet."

11-07-09 09:37 PM

All in one post, you played with the device enough to make a post but didnt have enough time to play with the device to make an educated post...Seriously???? I'm coming from a tour and havent even gotten my Droid yet and it's amazing! You compared a 3rd party browser to the default browser??? Seriously...? Build quality not that great? It's basically a tank! Have fun with your Tour and come Monday, does anybody want to buy mine?
    11-07-09 09:41 PM
    I'm still going to stay with the Blackberry for my corporate phone because of the rock solid Exchange integration. I have to say I was impressed with the Storm 2 based on what I've read and having played with it for a bit. I'm not due for a Blackberry upgrade until April, so there may be even more devices to choose from.

Regarding the Droid, I will upgrade to it on my personal account, eventually. I played with it for about a half hour or so at the VZW store yesterday. While I was very impressed with the screen/browser (BTW, I don't see a need for "pinch zoom", I like the zoom the way it is) and the facebook app was pretty good, would like to see some more features there, but I'm sure that will happen. But that inner voice simply told me to hold off, for now, and that's what I did.

My take on the Droid: I'm excited about it, but based on what I've read, they need to correct some things with 2.0. Mainly, Exchange integration which at the moment is a "hot mess". That will come, of that I'm sure. Once things get ironed out this is going to be a great platform. The potential for Android is amazing, and I really like the way that Google subtly adds new features without making a big announcement.
    11-07-09 09:41 PM
    The REASON why they seem a little blurry is because when you use the Youtube app, it defaults to the standard video for it to load quicker. You have to switch it to HD video for it to view in HD. C'mon people, you have to know these things before you make a post......C'mon
    11-07-09 09:43 PM
    People forget the fact its a phone...not a flatscreen.

11-07-09 09:48 PM
    Jeez, you peeps are coming down pretty hard on a person who really gave the Droid a decent and honest review imo. This forum is starting to reek of Droid fanboyism which will cast it into the sea of worthless forums soon if it keeps up. Nobody believes any phone is all that (not even the iPhone lol).
    11-07-09 09:52 PM
    Jeez, you peeps are coming down pretty hard on a person who really gave the Droid a decent and honest review imo. This forum is starting to reek of Droid fanboyism which will cast it into the sea of worthless forums soon if it keeps up. Nobody believes any phone is all that (not even the iPhone lol).
    5-10 mins with a device is not a "decent review"....
    11-07-09 10:17 PM

+1 completely agreed. I went to my local store to test out the phone and possibly upgrade my Tour but I couldn't type on the Droid all that well, to be fair I couldn't type that well on the iPhone either. I picked the Tour over the S2 and I still prefer the Tour over the Droid. The Droid is a great phone I'm sure but I just don't like touchscreens at all.

11-07-09 10:40 PM
    Any Android phone that allows me to type better than my Tour I'll buy in a heartbeat. The OS is off the charts.

11-07-09 10:47 PM
    wow this guys giving his honest opinion that he evidently spent time writing and you guys feel the need to become defensive about your purchase.

You know what makes a fanboy? when your unwilling to see flaws in your purchases and attack other people who do.
    11-07-09 10:48 PM
    wow this guys giving his honest opinion that he evidently spent time writing and you guys feel the need to become defensive about your purchase.

You know what makes a fanboy? when your unwilling to see flaws in your purchases and attack other people who do.
    I don't own the device at all. Yet the OP managed to say he both spent enough time to form an opinion, yet didn't have enough time to fully explore core features of the phone.

Get it now? Or do I need to dumb it down even more?
    11-08-09 02:19 AM
    Sorry if I offended or rubbed the Droid user the wrong way. I've spend a good 1 and 1/2 hour, not 5 minutes. Yes, its not that long but its enough for me to realized its not enough to upgrade from my Tour and some of those little quirks were deal breakers for me. I'm a physical KB guy and the Droid just doesn't cut it. Those issues I commented on were the reason I'm holding back so why do I need to spend more time and hoping I would change my mind? Spending more time doesn't fix those issues. As far as messaging,email and phone calls on on my tour, I'm pretty damn satisfied and its some of the tours strongest features so I don't need to focus this part on the Droid. I'm willing to bet past tour user will agree with me here. Honestly, the only one thing that the Droid kills my BB is the web browser, which is a deal breaker for some but not for me. I can get by using bolt/mini5 if I needed speed with desktop view web pages. My tour is just as fast and can get the job done as efficiently, if not more. You guys are just as bad or worst then the iPhone users defending every little negative comments as if the Droid is all mighty and perfect. Please look at yourself in the mirror and realized that certain phone is not for everyone since they all come in different sizes and features. Instead of getting but*t hurt over an opinion, you should feel fortunate you have a choice to choose.

Last edited by noized77; 11-08-09 at 02:36 AM.
    11-08-09 02:27 AM
    I don't own the device at all. Yet the OP managed to say he both spent enough time to form an opinion, yet didn't have enough time to fully explore core features of the phone.

you mad?

and it's called a preview, and most of the time you can judge a phone in a few minutes.

Can you guarantee him that after spending more time with the droid the build quality will improve? maybe the screws in the phone will tighten by themselves or maybe you can guarantee him the resolution, the camera will automatically improve by spending a few more minutes with it.

11-08-09 03:04 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD