04-08-10 03:20 PM
    BzB, what's the easiest way to root this droid while still on 2.0.1, so I can install the rooted 2.1?

Thanks...sorry for all the questions...I just don't stay up on all this.
    Nvr mind, still on 2.01.
    04-08-10 03:22 PM
    BzB, what's the easiest way to root this droid while still on 2.0.1, so I can install the rooted 2.1?

Thanks...sorry for all the questions...I just don't stay up on all this.
    i'm on my way out but here's a few tips...

try going to system updates in your settings and see if you can pull down the stock 2.1 update from vzw. if that works and you get the stock 2.1 update installed, then you can use johnly's link to get rooted 2.1.

if not you could also download 2.1 and manually install. sorry, no links at the moment but alldroid probably has them.

or....you'll need to dig up a rooted version of 2.0.1 to get root access and sprecovery. after you've installed that, then you can install the other files.

will check back later and see if i can get better steps for you.
    04-08-10 03:37 PM
    @dehendriksen, just a heads up, some guy had trouble rooting his 2.1 on vista (administrative privileges executed), but then seamlessly did it on his xp laptop, I am out, and will check in later to see how it goes. Wonder if he had 32 bit files on vista.
    04-08-10 03:53 PM
    I just rooted 2.0.1, then used Pete's rooted 2.1, and it's working great!

Should I get a task killer? If so, which one? How should I configure it so that it doesn't disrupt beautiful widgets, email (two IMAP accounts that poll every 15 minutes), google voice, etc...

I've never had one, but the guys at verizon keep telling me I should get one...what to do, what to do?
    04-08-10 10:10 PM
    Ahhh, back in black! DO you NEED a task killer? lol, whatever, am glad dhendriksen is back in black!
    Last edited by johnly; 04-09-10 at 12:03 AM. Reason: change lad to glad, lol crackberries
    04-08-10 11:47 PM
    No you don't need a task killer, but if you wish to get one, advanced task killer works fine and saves your excluded apps and processes.

I would suggest to only use a task killer if a Rom advices it. The desire Rom is the only one I know that suggests it only due to the Rom's size and space it takes in your system.
    04-09-10 01:29 AM
    good to hear you got this squared away.

as for the task killer, i have atk installed but i rarely use it and i never leave it running in the background. when i do use it i select the tasks and apps i want to kill off and i also select the task killer app itself so that it shuts down the selected apps and itself (so it doesn't keep running). keeping atk running in the background can cause other types of conflicts and issues.
    04-09-10 09:53 AM
    good to hear you got this squared away.

as for the task killer, i have atk installed but i rarely use it and i never leave it running in the background. when i do use it i select the tasks and apps i want to kill off and i also select the task killer app itself so that it shuts down the selected apps and itself (so it doesn't keep running). keeping atk running in the background can cause other types of conflicts and issues.
    Good to know, that sounds like a good way to do it.

Question for anyone running 2.1, and more specifically this rooted version I am running. Does the Google Finance widget work for you? I can install and it installs fine, but when I place the widget it force closes, and then is stuck saying "loading ticker" forever. I have rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, everything.

This isn't the end of the world, but it was a cool widget for tracking the DJI.

I love the live wallpaper. I use the neural one...very cool.
    04-09-10 11:40 AM
    Sorry to see you made Verizon pay for your carelessness... You were nowhere near bricked!
    Last edited by PDR447; 04-10-10 at 01:08 AM.
    04-10-10 01:06 AM
    Sorry to see you made Verizon pay for your carelessness... You were nowhere near bricked!
    My monthly phonebill is enough to pay for the phone.

I am in outside sales, and spend a lot of time working in the field. My phone is critical to this. I was working from home, and getting ready to head out when the phone died. I couldn't afford to spend any more time with out the phone.

Had Verizon asked me what happened I wouldn't have lied. I simply told them the phone wouldn't stop rebooting and they didn't ask any questions, just quickly gave me a new phone. I don't feel one bit bad about it.
    04-10-10 07:54 AM
    My monthly phonebill is enough to pay for the phone.

I am in outside sales, and spend a lot of time working in the field. My phone is critical to this. I was working from home, and getting ready to head out when the phone died. I couldn't afford to spend any more time with out the phone.

Had Verizon asked me what happened I wouldn't have lied. I simply told them the phone wouldn't stop rebooting and they didn't ask any questions, just quickly gave me a new phone. I don't feel one bit bad about it.
    You don't owe him an explanation.
    04-10-10 08:52 AM
    So the Google finance widget does work. The problem is I was trying to load the widget before I opened the app and accepted the terms and conditions.

Silly me.
    04-10-10 12:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD