So, my phone has turned into a big pile of sh*t these last couple of weeks, but it is my fault (I think) =)

I am running Bugless Beast 0.7 something. It started out great, but these past couple of weeks that battery life has fallen off completely, and I get force closes all the time, on all sorts of apps (right now I can't make a call, the dialer apparently doesn't work). I am at my wits end. I think I want to just wipe it clean and move to the stock 2.1, but rooted (I need the Wireless tether app).

How can I completely wipe this thing clean, and then start over again?

I appreciate the help on this...I've never done this before and while I'm not excited about resetting all my screen and redownloading all 40 or so of my apps, I have to do it because this thing is essentially useless.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan
    04-08-10 12:44 PM
    I'm not against rooting in the slightest, but these things can happen. Like you said, it's all your fault
    04-08-10 12:52 PM
    I realize that Jdane07...now, care to help me get it back to stock?

In the meantime I am doing something that I do know how to do, which is install the latest bugless beast 0.9 over my existing one.
    04-08-10 12:58 PM
    Download my backup pro from the marketplace, and back up all your data and applications to your SD card first before you do the wipe.
    04-08-10 12:58 PM
    I don't know how to do a wipe mhock86, that is what I am asking how to do.

In a further development the phone is now completely bricked apparently. I downloaded the newest bugless beast, moved it to the root of my SD card, renamed it update.zip, booted into recovery, and installed the new rom.

Now phone boots up to where it says Droid, then reboots. Any idea's before I take it back to the verizon store? I am working from home today and really need the phone.

Thanks!
    04-08-10 01:14 PM
    I can't vouch for these steps, but a respectable member on another popular android forum links to them.
    Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid
    good luck
    04-08-10 01:17 PM
    go here!

mydroidworld.com

i also converted and now i love it! i used to love my BB.... now i love my drOid!
    04-08-10 01:18 PM
    04-08-10 01:21 PM
    I'm downloading the files to do this now.

I'll press forward with it and let you know once I'm finished.

Thanks,

Dan
    04-08-10 01:29 PM
    Ultimately I want to end up with the rooted 2.1...isn't that the best place to be?
    04-08-10 01:30 PM
    When I say that I mean completely stock, other than root.

No overclock, themes, any of that crap.
    04-08-10 01:30 PM
    I am sure you can get back in action, once your running again. there is a poll on that thread, right now it is heavy in the works for you vote! If you don't mind, throwing up a vote on how this works for you, OP would appreciate it. Hoping for the best!
    04-08-10 01:40 PM
    Well, so far the vote won't be a good one. RSlite won't see my phone...whether holding the DPAD or not, it just gets stuck in an endless reboot cycle....until I pull the battery.
    04-08-10 01:48 PM
    DO you have usb 2.0? Using the right bit file (32 or 64, depending on computer) people have had the same issue on that thread, and got it resolved. Might be worth reading through it a bit.
    04-08-10 01:50 PM
    You could even through out your situation on that thread and people far more advanced than me, will jump in and save your phone.
    04-08-10 01:53 PM
    I'm running the official 2.1 update and am rooted at the same time.
    [ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband

All of the instructions are there and it basically gives you the ESE81 update released by Motorola to Verizon and on top of that, you get root access.
    He is bricked dman, though I am sure he will soon be visiting that once he is up and running
    04-08-10 01:53 PM
    rooting gone wild? or when rooting goes wrong? lol

part of the gift/curse of android is the openness. you can greatly enhance your experience, but you can also create a huge pain in the bum for yourself as well.

04-08-10 01:58 PM
    rooting gone wild? or when rooting goes wrong? lol

part of the gift/curse of android is the openness. you can greatly enhance your experience, but you can also create a huge pain in the bum for yourself as well.

LOL, BZB....I posted that link several comments ago! He needs to be unbricked! Any suggestions?
    04-08-10 02:00 PM
    LOL, BZB....I posted that link several comments ago! He needs to be unbricked! Any suggestions?
    d'oh! lol

dhendriksen - can you boot into recovery by holding �X� on the physical keyboard and holding down the power button at the same time? try pulling the battery, holding both power and X and see if it gets you into recovery console. if that's a go then we're 90% of the way there.
    04-08-10 02:05 PM
    I'm running the official 2.1 update and am rooted at the same time.
    [ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband

All of the instructions are there and it basically gives you the ESE81 update released by Motorola to Verizon and on top of that, you get root access.
    Yup ... I'm running that as well. Sometimes when you install rom after rom, things buildup .... so if you never use the nandroid method it can end up causing force closes or loops.
    04-08-10 02:33 PM
    DO you have usb 2.0? Using the right bit file (32 or 64, depending on computer) people have had the same issue on that thread, and got it resolved. Might be worth reading through it a bit.
    Yeah, USB 2.0. It's a brand new top of the line Windows 7 computer, 64 bit. I got the right stuff.

I read a lot of that thread, but it was like about 25 pages long.

I just got back with my "Certified Like New Replacement" and it is working great (as would be expected).

I wish my free apps would be saved in my downloads section in the market along with my paid ones, but oh well.
    04-08-10 02:55 PM
    Yeah, USB 2.0. It's a brand new top of the line Windows 7 computer, 64 bit. I got the right stuff.

I read a lot of that thread, but it was like about 25 pages long.

I just got back with my "Certified Like New Replacement" and it is working great (as would be expected).

I wish my free apps would be saved in my downloads section in the market along with my paid ones, but oh well.
    well, dang! I am glad you are up and running regardless. I had to get a like new replacement a week ago due to the headphone jack not working. Gotta luv how generous Verizon is, the lady didn't even check my phone, just hooked me up. Are you rooting the 2.1?
    I know what you mean about the apps, but at least you won't have to repay for them when you go back to download them.
    Last edited by johnly; 04-08-10 at 03:02 PM. Reason: add info
    04-08-10 03:00 PM
    d'oh! lol

dhendriksen - can you boot into recovery by holding �X� on the physical keyboard and holding down the power button at the same time? try pulling the battery, holding both power and X and see if it gets you into recovery console. if that's a go then we're 90% of the way there.
    It wouldn't do that...I couldn't get it to do anything. I tried booting to recovery and it wouldn't, so back to VZW it went. I just didn't have time to mess with it today.

Now, is there anyway to get WiFi tether without root access? That is the only reason I want the phone rooted, I use that app from time to time...I work in outside sales and it is a lifesaver for those times when no wifi is available.
    04-08-10 03:01 PM
    Now, is there anyway to get WiFi tether without root access? That is the only reason I want the phone rooted, I use that app from time to time...I work in outside sales and it is a lifesaver for those times when no wifi is available.
    congrats on getting back up and running so quickly! now to download all your apps again. in the future an app like mybackup pro or titanium will make the job simple. not free, but very convenient.

as far as wifi tether without root access, not possibly afaik. the wireless tether app requires root access. otherwise every stock droid out there would be using it and vzw would be pi55ed, lol.

the link provided by dman91 is as close to stock you'll get while still having root access for something like wifi tether. safe and simple to do. good luck!
    04-08-10 03:10 PM
    BzB, what's the easiest way to root this droid while still on 2.0.1, so I can install the rooted 2.1?

Thanks...sorry for all the questions...I just don't stay up on all this.
    04-08-10 03:12 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD