The ONLY thing that I do not like about the Motorola droid is the chin projects from the bottom. Besides that, the phone looks AMAZING, but..I think they should get rid of it for one simple reason.

It would be Easier to type on the phone with the extra 1/2 inch!
    If that chin wasn't there, your thumb would be closer to the keys making it easier to use the physical keyboard. What do you guys think?
    11-12-09 10:59 PM
    If it wasn't for that chin, you wouldn't be able to get a decent voice/data radio signal. The Droid's case is all metal, so they needed to put the antennas in that chin that projects away from the metal body of the phone. It's called the Faraday effect when a radio antenna is shielded by a metal cage around it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 11:04 PM
    Gah, well if it wasn't metal and made more like HTC Eris casing, the phone would be perfect in my eyes. That chin is just ugly, and gets in the way for typing.
    11-12-09 11:12 PM
    Gah, well if it wasn't metal and made more like HTC Eris casing, the phone would be perfect in my eyes. That chin is just ugly, and gets in the way for typing.
    You mean plastic? No thanks.

The metal makes for a very sturdy, classy feel to the phone. No matter how nice the Eris looks or operates, if you set it side by side with the Droid, it is immediately obvious which is the more expensive device, made of higher quality materials.
    11-12-09 11:45 PM
    Doesn't bug me at all.
    11-12-09 11:51 PM
    I don't really see why this is a big deal to some people. Seems pretty nitpicky if you ask me. I think it helps the phone stand out in a league of it's own. Kind of like a custom design feature. And to know that's where they put the cell radio and data antenna is fine with me. It just tells me that they used the rest of the space to put all the other great hardware and equipment in the phone.
    11-12-09 11:53 PM

The metal makes for a very sturdy, classy feel to the phone. No matter how nice the Eris looks or operates, if you set it side by side with the Droid, it is immediately obvious which is the more expensive device, made of higher quality materials.
    More expensive? I think that is relative to where you buy it? Since when is "metal" a higher quality material than plastic? Seems to me that great material caused a more dense phone so the antenna could operate properly. I am a big fan of how you said the Eris operates and looks nice....but then only defended the looks...not the horsepower the Droid has over the Eris
    11-13-09 12:15 AM

More expensive? I think that is relative to where you buy it? Since when is "metal" a higher quality material than plastic? Seems to me that great material caused a more dense phone so the antenna could operate properly. I am a big fan of how you said the Eris operates and looks nice....but then only defended the looks...not the horsepower the Droid has over the Eris
    11-13-09 12:16 AM
    yeah the chin does not bug me either
    11-13-09 12:17 AM
    Isn't this whole thread about the way the Droid looks

I could go on and on about the numerous advantages the Droid has over the Eris, but that would be OT.

Anyways, the chin doesn't bother me. The metal doesn't bother me. And the reception on the Droid is above and beyond any phone I've ever had (i.e. BlackBerry), so we can thank the faraday cage for the clever placement of the antenna.
    11-13-09 12:30 AM
    mannnn the chin is like the trademark I know sprint has a non-chin droid ahhh damn the man
    11-13-09 01:23 AM
    I thought it was ugly also especially in the pictures and commercials because it appears to be much bigger than it is. In person the phone seems smaller and the chin really isn't that bad.

11-13-09 01:32 AM
    I don't care for it myself but I can tell you, after having the phone for a week now, that I don't even notice it. The benefit it has is it keeps the meat f your hand from touching the soft keys at the bottom of the screen inadvertently, because the touch screen is very sensitive.

11-13-09 07:01 AM
    The chin was strategically integrated in the design so Verizon could put their brand on it. Kind of like a billboard of sorts...
    I'm trying to sell space to other vendors.
    11-13-09 09:08 AM
    Sure the physical keyboard is not perfect. In fact, without the chin it would still be difficult to use. Not liking the device because of the chin seems like you are looking for a reason to not like it. Regardless of the Droid's physical appearance, it is a kickass device.
    11-13-09 09:45 AM
    Really, do you want a Metal car or a Plastic one
    11-13-09 09:58 AM
    What kind of argument is that? Do you want a metal helmet or a plastic one, do you want metal sunglasses or plastic ones? I could keep going. Just because plastic is cheaper to make and not as strong, does not mean that metal is better in every situation.

11-13-09 10:09 AM
    I hope your kidding.....seriously...cars these days are going more and more plastic. and all the stuff the poster above me said...
    11-13-09 10:27 AM
    I'm going to name my Driod Leno now......
    11-13-09 09:14 PM
    i think it looks uglier on the HTC since they seem to curve out a bit lol
    11-13-09 09:41 PM
    I hope your kidding.....seriously...cars these days are going more and more plastic. and all the stuff the poster above me said...
    Um show me a plastic car. I've only ever seen metal and carbon fibers used in the construction of a car.

11-13-09 10:42 PM
    My girlfriend just got the Droid. It freezes all the time (seriously like 10 times in three days) and I played with it when I bought this Storm2 (my first Blackberry) and I just didn't like the look, the feel, or that damned extra piece sticking off the end. I had my choice of the two, and I really felt like this was the better option for me. Of course, I didn't know I'd be stuck with this crappy browser, but whatever. I'm sure there will be a better one soon. I do envy her web-browsing. It looks like a real live computer browser (just like Skyfire did on my Q), and not this janky mobile looking limited thing we have. The rest of the Storm is far superior in my opinion though.

Also it's heavy as **** and ugly... which shouldn't really matter to me, but does...
    Last edited by LonghornBob; 11-13-09 at 11:23 PM.
    11-13-09 11:19 PM
    Sure the physical keyboard is not perfect. In fact, without the chin it would still be difficult to use. Not liking the device because of the chin seems like you are looking for a reason to not like it. Regardless of the Droid's physical appearance, it is a kickass device.
    I agree with you, and I am probably going to buy the droid..but I am not finding a reason NOT to like it. I am stating a reason of what I think they should do so I could like it more. Again, I still feel that they could have came up with another way to help the antenna...w/o forcing you to reposition your hands to touch the keys easily. And again, it's still ugly. (Still going to buy it though if the passion isn't released by mid dec..or if it isn't up to expectations).
    11-13-09 11:21 PM
    And my hope is that when the Droid2 comes out it makes a dramatic leap forward and I'll probably end up with that.
    11-13-09 11:22 PM
    I'm personally a huge fan of its looks. Its elegant and trendy at the same time. Looks mysterious when holding it. The keybaord isn't as bad as people say either. I'm already used to it and the keys don't feel flat when you type with the tips of your thumbs. I'm typing this message on it. Not one typo.

11-14-09 12:56 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD