It's almost surreal to have free NAV on a VZW phone.... yay to functionality without being crippled! loving it...
    11-20-09 05:58 AM
    I think Verizon has made a nice profit from their VZnav app. They constantly charge for it monthly, yet they seem not to invest any money in the development of it. VZnav ran smoother on my previous phone, than on my BlackBerry. I've had my BlackBerry for over a year. Not one single update has been released to address the speed issue on my BlackBerry. You hear about apps being updated all time, but nothing in regards to VZnav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 05:49 AM
    I've had a couple issues with my Google Nav.
    First it can't find my apartment complex, which I think is a global Google Maps issue because it gives me the wrong location on the internet too.
    Second, when I'm driving on a highway at highway speeds the voice recognition just doesn't work at all. It can't pick up my voice.
    and Finally, yesterday I had it on to find a bank and it drove my right past it into an empty field. Don't know why that happened, but that wasn't a big deal because most of the time isn't right on the money.
    The biggest issues for me are the first two, especially #2.
    11-21-09 08:11 AM
    Google Nav. works well for me. Updates quickly and is accurate in my area. I like the map display better than Verizon Nav.

I would like to have a "pause" feature so you could stop for gas or use a drive-thru without getting constant audio prompts for how to get out of the parking lot.

Is it possible to change the voice on Google Nav?
    Verizon Nav has at least two voice options, male and female, as I recall.
    11-21-09 12:19 PM
    We have a man in the white house that is crippling our economy for years to come.
    I would respond but then I'm like, "Wait, he probably voted for Sarah Palin!"
    11-21-09 01:04 PM
    So true bundy. The gps industry is wayyyyyy less than 1% of our economy. Not sure how that alone would cripple our economy. We have a man in the white house that is crippling our economy for years to come.
    Were you by chance sleeping from 2001-2009? Go get your book signed.
    11-21-09 01:59 PM
    We have a man in the white house that is crippling our economy for years to come.
    Don't worry; we got rid of Bush last year.
    11-21-09 03:41 PM
    My wife has it on her Droid. It's much better than Telenav but as slow as Telenav and hangs when there's data network coverage issue, just like Telenav.

I think it will kill all paid nav app.
    12-10-09 08:01 PM
    Google should release it to the masses and virtually cripple GPS manufacturers.
    It will be a google phone exclusive (to the person that thinks google is letting their navigation go to everyone.....not happening, google likes making money, and having that feature exclusive to their brand of phones is how they want you to jump ship). I was using it and drove a 100 miles into the state capitol, and it worked flawlessly. It was nice, never had to hawk eye any signs, just turned when the lady said turn.
    12-10-09 08:10 PM
    i was driving thru san francisco last weekend on south van ness and the google navigation was telling me to make illegal u-turns time after time to reach my destination.
    The navigation app has been used a TON. Successfully. Contrasting what you have said although, I do think it has the ability to fail (everything man made does). When it says u-turn (that is because you missed the turn, operator error).

Anyone who knows google, knows that there apps tend to stay in beta for YEARS. That's just rad google. The navigation app is very accurate, and quite detailed.
    12-10-09 08:21 PM
    No one has mentioned it yet, but on a busness trip last week there was a wreck on a bridge in Kansas City. If not for the Droid with the Traffic Layer turned on I would have probably drove right in to the back up. But with the FREE traffic on the FREE GPS. I was able to save myself a few hours of frustation.
    12-11-09 09:41 AM
    No one has mentioned it yet, but on a busness trip last week there was a wreck on a bridge in Kansas City. If not for the Droid with the Traffic Layer turned on I would have probably drove right in to the back up. But with the FREE traffic on the FREE GPS. I was able to save myself a few hours of frustation.
    That is awesome...
    12-11-09 10:17 AM
    It's fair to say that GM Nav for Droid has much more and better features than those $10 a month BB Nav app. It makes those huys paing $10 per month looks very stupid.

Google map for BB offers traffic layer too but without voice turn by turn. A GPS app I have downloaded for couple daya Life In Pocket for BlackBerry works with GM and took me to within 50 feed of my destinations for over 20 trips without missing one.

It has stronger local search, business review and other handy features stronger than GM. Even viigo features are included. The nav is not as fancy as GM nav but works, faster and more reliable than GM Nav.

If you don't want to pay $10 a month, this may work for you.
    VZ navigator never really took off did it? It would be nice for someone to review the 2 in a bit of depth? I personally wouldn't be caught dead paying someone for directions.
    12-11-09 02:42 PM
    Yesterday google nav was off for me.I knew where I was going just giving it a test and it took me the long route instead of a simpler route vz nav gave. I wish there was a fastest, shortest, or simplest option in google nav. Its a great app, but it makes me nervous because its beta and doesnt know there is construction or you cant make it repeat the directions it just said. Its got work to do, but usable for now.
    12-11-09 03:06 PM
    Just add the traffic layer, there will be the construction.
    I always peek at the route before I hit the navigate button. Just to make sure it is a good route.
    I would recommend to anyone that may feel hesitant about the Navigation app to hit the help button while in the app. It will link you a wealth of training. After that you can use the app with confidence. (it will not work on a dumb phone, as VZ navigator will) but that aside, and being that it is in beta, we are sure to see more capabilities to come.
    VZ navigator users have reported VZ navigator failures (primarily errors) unlike google it just failed, giving the user NO route.
    At 10 bucks a month, I find VZ navigator to be a blatant rip off. Heck, you can't even get satellite views and must type the destination in by hand....archaic if you ask me.
    In my worthless opinion, VZ navigator has been a huge helping hand for the lost, and it does use a solid navigation platform. Anyone paying for the service and getting were they need to go, will be satisfied. I guess that is what it comes down to, are you satisfied for the services you PAY for? If it is FREE, you have NOTHING to complain, or bash about.
    You can flame me, it is OK, I am opinionated, and that drives some people nuts.
    12-11-09 04:24 PM
    Vzn Nav is old, it was good for dumbfones back in the day and when Vzn locked out 3rd party GPS software. Nobody has any biz paying for that thing now. I didn't know there was a traffic overlay for Gmaps for BB, I'll seek that out.
    12-14-09 10:33 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD