any ideas?

I have the droid. was rooted and working fine. out of nowhere, 2 days after ive rooted it just turns off. it was plugged in at the time and immediatly turned back on and saw the motorola m, then it reset, showed the m again, turned off and now wont turn on. think verizon will replacE?
    12-13-09 11:19 PM
    Here is what you need to do. Turn off your phone.

to turn it on, hold the power botton and the "x" key on the physical keyboard.

once you do that a big exclamation mark will come up.

once you see that hold the volume up button + the camera key.

this will bring you into the factory menu. From here try to do a factory reset.

In any case, if you phone is doing that and they can't really see that you tried to root your phone, they will exhange it. just tell them it started happening randomly. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU TRIED TO ROOT YOUR PHONE!!!!!!
    12-13-09 11:25 PM
    btw I used cynagen's root + super user + 2.01 update and it rooted fine.
    12-13-09 11:26 PM
    thanks. ya the phone wont even turn on is the problem. so i wont mention anything to them. I am just wondering whether it was the root that did it or like a surge through the power. very wierd. Only crazy thing ive done with root so far is adfree and i followed instructions i linked to in here previously on how to get rid of the email, amazon, vvm, and corporate calendar. But i dont see why that would do what my phone just did.
    12-13-09 11:28 PM
    maybe you have a bad battery? Oh yeah....... DO NOT USE BLACKBERRY STORM CHARGERS WITH YOUR DROID. They are completely incompatible and it will damage your phone!!!

I read the other thread about renaming those files as .bak to save them as backup files, but I just deleted them and i didn't have a problem. The only one i DIDN'T Delete is the Email. I deleted everything else including facebook.
    12-13-09 11:31 PM
    like x1208x said just make sure you don't say, "well i rooted my device." just say, "it doesnt turn on" and let them troubleshoot. its not like anyone could prove you rooted it and possibly killed it.
    12-13-09 11:34 PM
    Oh and don't worry. There are droid lemons out there. I actually exchanged my original droid. My friend is a store manager at verizon and he said he had an entire batch come back cuz they shipped out lemons. so you should be fine. They have no choice but to exchange your device, especially if its within 30 days. plus my friend told me that they were told to take care of any "droid" issues because of googles big contract with verizon. they want to make all droid users happy. if you get an ****, just ask for the manager. but like i said you shouldn't have a problem.
    12-13-09 11:34 PM
    maybe you have a bad battery? Oh yeah....... DO NOT USE BLACKBERRY STORM CHARGERS WITH YOUR DROID. They are completely incompatible and it will damage your phone!!
    That's not true. I've been using a Storm charger at home since the first day I got my Moto Droid and have not had any problems.
    12-13-09 11:35 PM
    LOL ok plug it in to your storm 1 charger, then try to text using the on screen keyboard. tell me what happens to your screen. then go be smart and read the voltage output on your storm charger and on your motorola charger.
    12-13-09 11:40 PM
    Very weird. So after it stopped turning on (battery was close to dead that's why it was plugged in in the first place) I tried using comp USB and didn't work. Exchanged some messages with you guys. Tried to plug it in one last time and it miraculously turned on. Problem averted. I don't think my phone is a lemon since I've had it for almost a month and its been fine the whole time. But anyway thank you all for your help. Would have sucked to spend two minutes rooting another one lol
    12-13-09 11:40 PM
    standard USB from your PC puts out a lot less voltage that your wall charger. make sure you sync all your contacts n stuff. so did you end up doing a battery pull?
    12-13-09 11:43 PM
    LOL ok plug it in to your storm 1 charger, then try to text using the on screen keyboard. tell me what happens to your screen. then go be smart and read the voltage output on your storm charger and on your motorola charger.
    it's working just fine!! are you the new wannabe resident droid expert and everything you say is fact and everyone has to listen to you?
    12-13-09 11:43 PM
    it's working just fine!! are you the new wannabe resident droid expert and everything you say is fact and everyone has to listen to you?
    LOL whatever you say
    12-13-09 11:46 PM
    OK so phone is working. But the physical keyboard and four buttons on the bottom don't light up anymore. Any ideas. Also I rebooted the phone to see if it would work but no change.
    12-13-09 11:47 PM
    are the bottoms working?
    12-13-09 11:51 PM
    One thing that was great when I exchanged my phone, ofcourse it synced all my contacts, but the market also sync'd 90% of my 3rd party apps, and the phone itself loaded most of my old phone settings.
    12-13-09 11:52 PM
    Bottoms are not working.
    12-14-09 12:44 AM
    You should stop telling people things that aren't true. You can use any usb compatible charger. The voltage output being lower cannot hurt the phone. The phone charging via usb on your PC is a much lower trickle, does that hurt your phone? How about you be smart, and go do some reading, and stop giving people bad advice.
    12-14-09 12:45 AM
    Bottoms are not working.
    Try flashing the stock RUU. Also, don't be surprised if they have a tech at the store, if he tries to boot it into recovery to see if you have it rooted. I'm sure that when a large number of people get the sack to root the phone, and they brick it, VZW employees are going to be trying to boot into recovery to check it.
    12-14-09 12:49 AM
    You should stop telling people things that aren't true. You can use any usb compatible charger. The voltage output being lower cannot hurt the phone. The phone charging via usb on your PC is a much lower trickle, does that hurt your phone? How about you be smart, and go do some reading, and stop giving people bad advice.
    yeah go research it for yourself.

A non standard charger will not work reliably. It's also not supported. Use the standard charger.

A really bad non standard charger could damage the phone but this is rare. Still, you should not assume that just because the plugs match that it will work or that the charging device is properly designed.

The Droid standard charger puts out 850ma ... anything less than this and you will have problems very much like you describe. Some chargers will not sustain that output levels. A charger, for example, intended for charging a BT headset does not have the current capacity to charge a smartphone.

The current demands of the Droid change depending on what it is doing and how charged or discharged the battery is. If it is "Asleep" (actually just screen locked), it is still picking up email and so forth. This requires current.

Anyway, use the standard charger.
    12-14-09 01:47 AM
    oh no. don't listen to my source. listen to people like these guys on forums trying to disprove people. nite.
    12-14-09 01:49 AM
    yeah go research it for yourself.
    Yes, of course. Motorola doesn't want you to use anything other than what they stand to make money off of. Ask any company if you can use another companies product with theirs and you'll get the company line. A fool and his money are easily parted.
    12-14-09 01:56 AM
    I have used Storm and Tour chargers without issue.
    12-14-09 09:19 AM
    i too use my BB charger with 0 issues....its from my old 8703e or something like that.

in fact, i used my ERIS charger to charge my wifes Storm 1 the other night, just swapped out the usb cable attached to the block....

then again that did create a black hole in the space time continumum and my house exploded....so you better listen to x1208x....
    12-14-09 09:38 AM
    I've used my Storm's charger. It does have issues.

Plugging my Droid into the Storm charger will result in about 1/4" of jitter in the capacitive touch screen. The stock charger and computer USB ports don't do this.

It looks like the Storm's charger doesn't filter the output enough.
    12-14-09 09:53 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD