Well the Droid Bionic had me interested since I first saw it. Now I'm not interested in going 4G yet as I am more than happy with 3G. So I figured yeah the Bionic will work on 3G and would still be a great purchase running on my current data plan ($30 unlimited).

Well unfortunately I don't think things will work out so smoothly. I read somewhere recently that Verizon is starting to differentiate and label "3G smartphones" and "4G smartphones". So I have a bad feeling that this is how things will pan out:

Any smartphone labeled as "4G" will REQUIRE the customer to also purchase a 4G data plan (tiered plans, no unlimited option). No 4G plan, no 4G phone sold to you. A major bummer if this ends up being the case. I don't need 4G speeds and I am happy with my current plan, I should be able to purchase a Droid Bionic and run it on 3G (I'm assuming it has the internals for 3G).

Things aren't going to smooth themselves out until voice moves over to LTE as well and the 3G networks are shut down.
    01-29-11 10:41 AM
    that is basically how it was with sprint. Now, however, sprint is just charging and extra $10 to everyone who has a "smartphone" on top of the 69.99 everything plan
    01-29-11 10:46 AM
    Well if Verizon is going to force me to purchase a 4G data plan in order to purchase the Droid Bionic then I guess they made the decision to purchase an iPhone easier for me. Since the iPhone is a "3G smartphone" I shouldn't have any issues with my current plan lol.

How are people not going to have any overage charges anyways with tiered plans? will it be like $15 for 25 GB and $25 for 50GB per month? I'm against tiered plans, the carriers are going to the cash register with all the overage fees they will collect from people. Not to mention that 4G phones should eat through GB's faster than 3G phones.

I should have been able to purchase a Droid Bionic and run it on my current data plan! So I don't benefit from its full potential (4G speeds), big deal 3G is fine for me!
    01-29-11 10:59 AM
    some people dont use much data, 25 GBs is insane for use. most people dont go over a couple hundred MBs probably. WIFI cuts tons of 3g/4g traffic down

Yes they will make money off overages probably also. You want premium data speeds you will have to pay for it basically
    01-29-11 11:03 AM
    Well if Verizon is going to force me to purchase a 4G data plan in order to purchase the Droid Bionic then I guess they made the decision to purchase an iPhone easier for me. Since the iPhone is a "3G smartphone" I shouldn't have any issues with my current plan lol.
    Now you know one of the sales strategies for iPhone being sold on Verizon.
    01-29-11 11:05 AM
    some people dont use much data, 25 GBs is insane for use. most people dont go over a couple hundred MBs probably. WIFI cuts tons of 3g/4g traffic down

Yes they will make money off overages probably also. You want premium data speeds you will have to pay for it basically
    I agree, if you want premium data there is a premium price. However I think you should be able to purchase and run 4G devices on current 3G data plans without all the bull from the carriers. They're literally stopping you from purchasing a device without a certain data plan because..... They simply feel like it......
    01-29-11 11:13 AM
    ... snip ...

How are people not going to have any overage charges anyways with tiered plans? will it be like $15 for 25 GB and $25 for 50GB per month? I'm against tiered plans, the carriers are going to the cash register with all the overage fees they will collect from people. Not to mention that 4G phones should eat through GB's faster than 3G phones.
    I would doubt very seriously that ANY tiered smartphone data plan will have that high of a limit. For example, Verizon's current broadband data plan and tethering plan (which involve data use on a computer) only allow 5GB of data.

I should have been able to purchase a Droid Bionic and run it on my current data plan! So I don't benefit from its full potential (4G speeds), big deal 3G is fine for me!
    Why?

There's nothing in your contract that allows you to use whatever device you choose on your plan.

If it did, all the people who want to use a BlackBerry with NO data plan would have a leg to stand on.

The carrier, not the user, gets to determine which plans are required for which devices.

I'm not saying that I like it or agree with it, but it is the way it is.
    01-29-11 11:15 AM
    Now you know one of the sales strategies for iPhone being sold on Verizon.
    So Verizon is sending their old buddies over at Android up the river because the iPhone showed up? Android helped Verizon fight the good fight two years before iPhone came to town, and now they are going to pull some hocus pocus to redirect most of the "herd" to the iPhone?

If this was the case wouldn't Google and HTC or Motorola speak up to Verizon about this?
    01-29-11 11:16 AM
    I would doubt very seriously that ANY tiered smartphone data plan will have that high of a limit. For example, Verizon's current broadband data plan and tethering plan (which involve data use on a computer) only allow 5GB of data.

Why?

There's nothing in your contract that allows you to use whatever device you choose on your plan.

If it did, all the people who want to use a BlackBerry with NO data plan would have a leg to stand on.

The carrier, not the user, gets to determine which plans are required for which devices.

I'm not saying that I like it or agree with it, but it is the way it is.
    I'm sure the FCC will have something to say about all this one day. Verizon is preventing Motorola and whomever else from putting their devices into consumers' hands and vice versa, consumers from being able to purchase a device and use it through obstacles and hurdles.
    01-29-11 11:19 AM
    Doubtful.

If that were the case, the carriers would have already be prevented from requiring a smartphone/BlackBerry data plan on smartphones and BlackBerry devices and from requiring a data plan for "feature phones".
    01-29-11 11:23 AM
    I'm sure the FCC will have something to say about all this one day. Verizon is preventing Motorola and whomever else from putting their devices into consumers' hands and vice versa, consumers from being able to purchase a device and use it through obstacles and hurdles.
    no they are not lol....you just have to choose how much you want to pay, that is your choice and yours alone
    01-29-11 11:37 AM
    Why buy a 4G phone, and use it on 3G? Things cost the carrier money - especially when they subsidize phones.
    01-29-11 12:22 PM
    no they are not lol....you just have to choose how much you want to pay, that is your choice and yours alone
    ^^^^^this... +1. Amazing to me how many people don't seem to understand that.
    01-29-11 12:27 PM
    that is basically how it was with sprint. Now, however, sprint is just charging and extra $10 to everyone who has a "smartphone" on top of the 69.99 everything plan

The class action lawsuit filed by 4G phone users who were not getting 4G service in their area but have to pay the additional $10/month brought about that change.

Sprint 4G Class Action Lawsuit
    01-29-11 12:27 PM
    The class action lawsuit filed by 4G phone users who were not getting 4G service in their area but have to pay the additional $10/month brought about that change.

Sprint 4G Class Action Lawsuit
    so basically instead of some people getting screwed, EVERYONE and the people that brought the lawsuit up are getting screwed and still have to pay....brilliant!
    01-29-11 12:32 PM
    If you don't want to pay for it don't buy the damn phone. Stop whining about it. They haven't even mentioned pricing and you have already managed to get a nice healthy wad of panties bunched up in your cooch. I have a feeling they may go to tiered pricing or start a premium fee for it but I don't work myself up over it. You know why? Because if I didn't want it, I wouldn't pay for it.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-29-11 12:58 PM
    so basically instead of some people getting screwed, EVERYONE and the people that brought the lawsuit up are getting screwed and still have to pay....brilliant!

Yeah pretty much. The only people unaffected are the 4G phone owners that are in 4G coverage areas, as they are getting what they paid for.

Im hoping VZW learns from this and states upfront that regardless of available 4G coverage, the LTE phones will have their own data pricing structure and as a condition of purchasing one you will have to subscribe to it. For me 3G is fast enough and I would like to continue enjoying it at the lower rate.
    01-29-11 02:25 PM
    If you like the bionic, there's also the Droid X2 in the works. The same awesomeness minus the 4G. Verizon is definitely charging for 4G even if its not in your area and its probably going to cost more than what Sprint is charging.
    01-29-11 02:29 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if VZW goes the way of Sprint in terms of charging for 4G.

I would hate this too and that's why I'm with tmobile, who has already come out and said that they will not make people pay more for 4G data.

The best thing to do is to vote with your wallet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    K Bear likes this.
    01-29-11 03:16 PM
    I am going to keep the plan I have for as long as I have which is unlimited. It works great for me and the 3G I don't have access to WIFI unless I go into Scottsdale or Phoenix. I live in a rural area and we just don't have it here. I also am very lucky to be grandfathered in on my wireless internet for my laptop. Unlimited. They can't make me change ! I have had it since 2004. One of my reps said there are lots of us who have this and she won't even try to get us to switch ! I don't have an issue with the 3G. Suits me fine.
    I am tired of the carriers nickel and diming us. They are hearing complaints about the changes. It is too bad they have to do this. I wonder if Verizon is going to impose a 10.00 charge like Sprint is. I think that is outrageous. I worked for a multi-carrier and I hated how Sprint charged an 18.00 UPGRADE fee when a customer upgraded their contract. I don't know if they still do this because I haven't sold wireless since 2004. I always tried to get customer care to waive that fee. I think it is raping the customer. We pay enough as it is. I also would have Sprint customers wanting to leave for that very reason. They make enough money. They don't have to impose all these fees on their customers.
    01-29-11 10:40 PM
    I think it is raping the customer. We pay enough as it is.
    Wow. I am sure an 18.00 fee is nothing like getting raped.
    01-29-11 10:59 PM
    Unlimited data plans are unsustainable even on verizons network. If the iPhone meets the expected targets there simply isn't enough capacity to go around, and although I enjoy having unlimited data I would rather have a cap and my phone work than go thru the outages and BS that ATT had in NYC and San Fran because of the iPhone. I think verizon learned from atts mistakes. As far as extra charges for 4G I'm not happy about it but I understand.... Verizon spent billions developing their LTE network and they expect us to cover costs. I've had every carrier but tmobile, I know verizon isn't The cheapest by any means but it has the best network in my area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lssanjose likes this.
    01-29-11 11:17 PM
    I don't like the added charges, but they go towards to covering the costs in building, but more importantly, maintaining its network's quality.
    01-29-11 11:34 PM
    I will give in sooner or later, but I admit, uncapped data on my rooted X has me nice and cozy where I am at, and with what device I am running.
    01-30-11 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD