Where did all of JakeStorm's posts go? I feel cheated, lol. Looks like he went on a deleting binge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 10:07 AM
    there's a significant difference between reading up on something and actually owning/using it for a period of time with an open mind.

you can copy text from the HTC mail app (but not gmail), sms in the handcent app, and other apps also allow copying text.

to be honest i only view docs on my phone so i can't answer the questions on editing or spell checking. i suppose there may be a small segment of users who actually edit docs on their phones, but the large majority of mobile users are only going to read/view docs on their phone. also consider that with any mobile version of a desktop app there will be some limitations regardless of platform.

just know that a person with equal time on an android phone is most likely not going to have the same issues that you mentioned. it's virtually impossible pick up another platform and expect to be as proficient as one you're used to without spending some time getting to know it. imo a lot of bb users are not as open minded with other platforms, meaning they don't give it a fair effort and time to get acquainted, before they're ready to give up and go back to what they know. but that's ok! if you have something that works for you and all the things you need, then why change...right? just because someone says the grass is greener for them doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

I've actually had a chance to use the Incredible almost daily. A friend of mine let's me use it for about an hour or so each day, over the past month.
    There are many things that I'm in awe over and really like. The fact that I'm in that small percentile of people that have to use my phone to edit documents, it's keeping me from experiencing the greatness of the Incredible. It's an awesome device, and I truly love the multimedia capabilities.
    If the optical joystick was a litte more fluid, I could perhaps manage. That was my main gripe. Everyone I know say they don't really use the optical joystick. I would most likely use it more than others when navigating in Word and Excel documents. Espcially Excel.
    I hate that the features I need is keeping me lock down to one particular brand of phone. Perhaps over time things will change.
    Last edited by cdf3; 06-03-10 at 10:18 AM.
    06-03-10 10:16 AM
    Tried it, hated it, went back to my Blackberry.
    Very informative post bro...this really helped me make a decision. ***BBM straightface***
    06-03-10 10:35 AM
    When typing on the Incredible it auto corrects the words as you type, then corrects them after hitting the space bar as well as giving you an option to choose a word. How can you override this feature for the few times you do not want it to choose the word for you while typing?

06-03-10 10:53 AM

06-03-10 10:54 AM
    When typing on the Incredible it auto corrects the words as you type, then corrects them after hitting the space bar as well as giving you an option to choose a word. How can you override this feature for the few times you do not want it to choose the word for you while typing?

Go to Settings>Language & Keyboard>Keyboard Settings

You can disable it from there.
    06-03-10 10:57 AM

settings > language and keyboard > touch input > text input > uncheck prediction
    06-03-10 10:59 AM
    settings > language and keyboard > touch input > text input > uncheck prediction
    I didn't want to disable it all together, because it's a useful feature.
    It's for those few times when I'm typing a word that's not in the custom dictionary, and is not one of the choices I'm able to choose from.
    I was trying to to Email someone words that were misspelled in a document they wanted me to look over. I was trying to type the misspelled word along with it's correct version. I was unable to type the misspelled word, because it gave me the option to input the correct spelling. I only needed to disable it just for that one word. I'd had to go to settings > language and keyboard > touch input > text input > uncheck prediction just for that one word or two.
    I haven't found a work around yet.
    06-03-10 11:09 AM
    What about switching it to the standard Android keyboard? It gives you a list of word that you can choose from. It will input the word that it thinks you want to put in if you hit the spacebar, but you get the options first.
    06-03-10 11:14 AM
    What about switching it to the standard Android keyboard? It gives you a list of word that you can choose from. It will input the word that it thinks you want to put in if you hit the spacebar, but you get the options first.
    I was using the HTC Keyboard. It actually gives a list of words that I can choose from as you just mentioned, but what if it's not one of those words. How can I temporarily have it to disregard those choices and to keep the word I'm actually typing, without having to add that word to the custom dictionary?
    06-03-10 11:18 AM
    On the Android keyboard, the first word in the list is what you are typing. The second word is what the predictive text is. The Android keyboard is different from the HTC keyboard.
    06-03-10 11:30 AM
    On the Android keyboard, the first word in the list is what you are typing. The second word is what the predictive text is. The Android keyboard is different from the HTC keyboard.
    This. The list of words will have what you are typing listed first.
    06-03-10 11:50 AM
    Bummer! Bb is the phone for you then.
    06-03-10 01:13 PM
    Bummer! Bb is the phone for you then.
    Yeah, for now. I wanted the Moto Droid, but couldn't get used to the physical keyboard and the way it copies text. I wish it had the copy feature from the iPhone and Incredible. I was set on getting the Incredible, but was disappointed with the optical joystick. I didn't p re-order the BlackBerry Bold 9650 last night because I want to see what the Moto Droid Xtreme (Shadow) and the Moto Droid 2 has to offer. If not completely satisfied, then I'll grab the 9650.

06-03-10 01:56 PM
    I'm really trying to jump on the Android bandwagon. It's the only OS that has the potential to pull me way from BlackBerry. I here numerous posts where people say that the Incredible beats BlackBerry in everything, yet they don't really elaborate on what those things are. I usually hear that the browser is better, no truncated Emails, applications load faster, and more applications to choose from. That's a huge statement. How can those few things turn into everything? I can see the Incredible being better than BlackBerry in most things, but not everything.
    When using the calendar for the Incredible it took longer to enter appointment times in comparison to my BlackBerry. Especially when entering a specific time. Scrolling through the hour and minutes was a cool feature, but it takes longer than just being able to simply type out the time. This wouldn't pose a problem for those that use the calendar sparingly, but for those of us that use it quite a bit throughout the day, this can get annoying.
    I also hear that there's no spell check in the Word version of Documents To Go for Android. That's a bummer.
    Copy and Paste is faster on BlackBerry than the Incredible. BlackBerry wins in this department easily. Especially if you master the technique to copy, cut, and paste without having to go through the menu option on BlackBerry.
    The optical joystick is useless on the Incredible. Others that use it say the same thing. I do a lot of editing with documents that require me to key in on certain words that I would like to copy within a document. It was very frustrating trying to do this using the optical joystick. The same holds true when choosing specific cells in an Excel spreadsheet when zoomed out. The optical joystick is was closed the deal for me. The track ball / track pad on BlackBerry devices is much more fluid and responsive. I was hoping the same would hold true for the Incredible, but that wasn't the case. My thumb also kept hitting the Escape key when using the Optical Joystick in landscape mode, which as annoying.
    So to me, the Incredible does not beat BlackBerry in Everything. Just most things.
    If someone can find workouts for the few things I have complaints about, then I'll be sold again on getting the Incredible.

Everything you said is true about KEYBOARDED devices. Have you tried the storm? It's exactly the same to do data entry, except in my case, my keyboard messed up 4 times (the screen sensors I mean. Sure 1 time OK! but 4? There's a problem).

Reglardless, I PREFER keyboarrded devices, but I dont' mind all touch, that's why I had both storms. I like them too. But yes, KB = faster. But as I said in another post, I'm not a CEO who's counting seconds :P. If I'm entering an appointment, I can spend an extra 3 seconds. I don't mind as long as it is made up in another way, like the user experience or interface or it makes me happy . HTC Desire

EDIT: What I meant to say is that I've had 4 storm2s..... because of the sensors.
    Last edited by zkyevolved; 06-03-10 at 04:12 PM. Reason: see edit :)
    06-03-10 04:06 PM
    Jakestorm was banned.

06-03-10 08:13 PM
    I want to get an Android phone but the main thing that holds me to BBs is the keyboard. I have yet to find any other keyboard as good as a BB.
    06-05-10 09:07 PM
    I want to get an Android phone but the main thing that holds me to BBs is the keyboard. I have yet to find any other keyboard as good as a BB.
    That is very true. Blackberry makes good qwerty keyboards, there is no doubt.

06-06-10 06:45 AM
    Blackberry is the king of physical keyboards, this is true. Once you start looking at virtual keyboards their dominance is really diminished and bb becomes mostly insignificant. In the realm of touch screen phones the storm2 lags far behind the comp imo.
    06-06-10 09:56 AM
    My wife's droid changes haha to Bahamas. Every single time she goes to type haha and hits space it changes to Bahamas. The auto correction on android is pretty pointless. She's only had her droid for around a week and daily I get text messages from her that puzzle the crap out of me because one letter out of place will completely change the word to something not at all like what she meant to type and she will send it before catching the mistake. Also random words mid sentence will be capitalized for no apparent reason. It really sucks going from using BBM to message her to now texting her on a Android. I'm sure there is away to fix those issues some how. But why don't it just work to begin with? She never had to fix BB predictive text and she never randomly sent me Bahamas at the end of her sentences either.

Android blows BB away at certain things, like apps and selling ad space but for actually communication it's not a BB. I'm thankful she is planning on giving it back to vzw and getting a 9650 before her 30 days are up.
    06-08-10 01:22 AM
    My wife's droid changes haha to Bahamas. Every single time she goes to type haha and hits space it changes to Bahamas. The auto correction on android is pretty pointless. She's only had her droid for around a week and daily I get text messages from her that puzzle the crap out of me because one letter out of place will completely change the word to something not at all like what she meant to type and she will send it before catching the mistake. Also random words mid sentence will be capitalized for no apparent reason. It really sucks going from using BBM to message her to now texting her on a Android. I'm sure there is away to fix those issues some how. But why don't it just work to begin with? She never had to fix BB predictive text and she never randomly sent me Bahamas at the end of her sentences either.

Android blows BB away at certain things, like apps and selling ad space but for actually communication it's not a BB. I'm thankful she is planning on giving it back to vzw and getting a 9650 before her 30 days are up.
    That's one of the things I didn't like about the device. I like the Suggestive Text feature, but I could never find a way to bypass it for those times I would type things like "hahahaha". No one has found a way to bypass just for that particular moment. They only give me suggestions on how to disable the feature all together.
    06-08-10 01:27 AM
    That's one of the things I didn't like about the device. I like the Suggestive Text feature, but I could never find a way to bypass it for those times I would type things like "hahahaha". No one has found a way to bypass just for that particular moment. They only give me suggestions on how to disable the feature all together.
    I know exactly. Its either deal with the problem words, or don't use the feature at all. At least that's how it seems. I played with it for a while and couldn't correct the problem without turning it off.

What Android needs is a feature like BB auto text. With it I take all of my common typos and program them into auto text. like for some reason I always type yu instead of you. So my BB is programed to change yu into you. Very useful and it seems like something that would be pretty easy to add to android.
    06-08-10 01:33 AM
    I know exactly. Its either deal with the problem words, or don't use the feature at all. At least that's how it seems. I played with it for a while and couldn't correct the problem without turning it off.
    you can try typing the word you want, then when it shows in the predictive text box highlighted in orange select the word as you typed it and it is then added to the user dictionary. that doesn't work for you guys?
    06-08-10 10:09 AM
    you can try typing the word you want, then when it shows in the predictive text box highlighted in orange select the word as you typed it and it is then added to the user dictionary. that doesn't work for you guys?
    I was trying to send someone the typing mistakes from a document I was reading. I was trying to type the misspelled word, then type out how it's supposed to be spelled. I didn't want the misspelled word to be added to the dictionary. It's something I probably wouldn't do that much, but it would have been nice if I could have just bypassed it just for that one time.

06-08-10 10:28 AM
    I was trying to send someone the typing mistakes from a document I was reading. I was trying to type the misspelled word, then type out how it's supposed to be spelled. I didn't want the misspelled word to be added to the dictionary. It's something I probably wouldn't do that much, but it would have been nice if I could have just bypassed it just for that one time.

The HTC keyboard doesn't give you that option. The native Android keyboard DOES. What you are typing is always the first option in the predicted word list. It will let you type and use word that are misspelled. The HTC VK sucks, IMHO.
    06-08-10 11:21 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD