So I did an ETF with my old wireless company at the beginning of September and went with Verizon for their network coverage in my area. I got a 2 line family plan and got two Storm1 phones with the BOGO plan. I like my Storm but at the time I had no clue the Storm2 and Droid were about to come out. I was originally excited about the open GL announcement but then was dissapointed when I found out the the Storm1 was not supported. I have played with the Storm2 and Droid and really like the Droid, I don't think I will be one of those who get the e-mail or flyer about the early upgrade opportunity so does anyone know how I can get my hands on a Droid without haveing to pay full retail. I'm pretty sure I'm SOL but does anyone know of anything that I might be able to do? Someone suggested adding a line and just paying the $10 extra a month, but if I do that can I cancel the data plan I have for one of my Storms since I won't be using it?
    11-12-09 05:48 AM
    I added a line myself. You can avoid the extra data plan if you take the storm off your current line and replace it with a dumb phone that doesn't require a data plan. If you have any old phones laying around or pick an old free one up from someone that Verizon will activate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 06:15 AM
    So I did an ETF with my old wireless company at the beginning of September and went with Verizon for their network coverage in my area. I got a 2 line family plan and got two Storm1 phones with the BOGO plan. I like my Storm but at the time I had no clue the Storm2 and Droid were about to come out. I was originally excited about the open GL announcement but then was dissapointed when I found out the the Storm1 was not supported. I have played with the Storm2 and Droid and really like the Droid, I don't think I will be one of those who get the e-mail or flyer about the early upgrade opportunity so does anyone know how I can get my hands on a Droid without haveing to pay full retail. I'm pretty sure I'm SOL but does anyone know of anything that I might be able to do? Someone suggested adding a line and just paying the $10 extra a month, but if I do that can I cancel the data plan I have for one of my Storms since I won't be using it?
    SOL is a good choice of words, but really just wait it out no need to go through all this cloak and dagger stuff just for a phone.
    11-12-09 06:18 AM
    I agree, ride it out for now. If things hold true to form, the Storm1 will probably have some kind of mechanical failure/problem (although this never happened to me, I was happy with my S1 in all respects EXCEPT memory) that will allow you to get an upgrade/device switch.

Heck, half the Verizon sales force is practically conditioned to head for the supply room when they hear, "I was wondering about my Storm...", anyway so it's probably just a matter of time... Know what I mean?
    11-12-09 06:35 AM
    Yeah, kinda sucks. If I would have known the Droid was coming out I would have waited 2 months to make the switch. Oh well.
    11-12-09 07:08 AM
    Like Chuck said, you can add another line for $9.99 per month. After you get the Droid, you can transfer it over to your original line and put an old dumbphone on the new line. It ends up costing an extra $10/month, but you're saving roughly $360 + tax off the price of the phone. Net savings after 2 years with the extra line on your account is roughly $120. Plus, you have an extra line if you need it in an emergency.
    11-12-09 08:47 AM
    I recieved a warranty replacement S1 about 2 weeks ago, and it works really well. My NE2 isn't up until 5/16/2010, so I can't go that direction.

I really want a droid, so I can buy one at full retail and sell the S1 to offset the cost (still probably shelling out $350-400 depending on what I get for the S1).

I don't want a droid badly enough to pay for a whole new line, or somehow convince VZW to give me an early upgrade.

Gotta pay to play I suppose, the Droid is a killer device from all appearances, and I might just talk myself into full retail
    Last edited by rmaybach; 11-12-09 at 02:43 PM.
    11-12-09 01:46 PM
    http://crackberry.com/verizon-offeri...rent-customers

Your wish might happen sooner than you know
    11-12-09 01:52 PM
    There are other with the exact opposite desire.

Why not offer to trade your BB for a Droid with someone else.
    11-12-09 03:15 PM
    There are other with the exact opposite desire.

Why not offer to trade your BB for a Droid with someone else.
    Never come across anyone who wants to go from a droid back to a BB. Sure there have been those I've met with those feelings for like a new WinMo phone or the iPhone but a BB?

Thats like trading someone a PS3/360 for a sega genesis.
    11-12-09 03:40 PM
    Here is one trade, close but it's out there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/an...r-droid-362222
    11-12-09 04:07 PM
    Save your money until you have enough to pay full retail.

If you can't afford it, you can't buy it.

Unless... You go for the "in debt" route.
    11-12-09 04:52 PM
    My gut feeling is that people who get the Driod are gonna want something else within a year. With all the hot android phones rumored to be coming out I'd be considering a one year deal myself. You never know for sure but it seems like things are moving pretty fast with android, a lot faster than BB during the past 3 years that I've been with them. It pays to keep your ear to the ground around here. I've waiting to hear more about the Passion myself because I don't really want the extra keyboard of the Droid but that's just me.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 11-12-09 at 05:49 PM.
    11-12-09 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD