I need antivirus for my phone or not?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-10 02:35 AM
    Nope! You will be fine.

12-31-10 03:34 AM
    I doubt there are viruses for Androids...

...yet?! O_O
    12-31-10 03:52 AM
    Virus makers can make viruses for any platform, it's a matter of which one's more attractive to attack. Windows is very popular still, because of its sustained widespread use. Although, there have been warnings about viruses for Android, it's always best to keep an eye out, and practice safety first.
    12-31-10 04:07 AM
    I have heard of some apps that will brick your phone when you try to install them. They are in the Android market so be careful when you download some apps. Look at the ratings and reviews and make sure others have used it perfectly fine!
    12-31-10 05:01 AM
    You really do not need one, But i were to recommend on i'd rock LookOut. It's the most widely used and well known.
    12-31-10 07:09 AM
    I have heard of some apps that will brick your phone when you try to install them. They are in the Android market so be careful when you download some apps. Look at the ratings and reviews and make sure others have used it perfectly fine!
    What apps?? And looking at ratings don't help at all I could build a trojan app and have a bunch of five star ratings. I have never heard of an app bricking a phone on the other hand rooting and applying roms with little to no knowledge will get you some serious brick action.
    12-31-10 09:37 AM
    I installed Dr.Web for Android, just in case! Better safe than sorry!
    12-31-10 10:23 AM
    I need antivirus for my phone or not?
    Yup:
    Chinese bot will slurp your Droid • The Register
    Android malware enters 2011
    12-31-10 10:49 AM
    Android phones are Linux based phones, it's extremely hard to code a virus for these units. How ever there are mal-ware programs out there which is what this is. it's not a virus.

Anti-Virus is not needed. You pick the applications you install, you give the applications permissions to do what they do. IT's not the phones fault the installer is a ding-dong and install untrusted applications from untrusted servers. If you stick to the AndroidMarket, and other trusted sources you will have NO PROBLEMS ! ! ! !

Why is that so flipping hard to understand....

Why is when i point this loaded paintball gun at my bare foot and pull the trigger my foot starts hurting instantly, they need to do something about this....

when does the red flag start waving??!?!?!
    12-31-10 12:09 PM
    I never had one on my X but then again I barely downloaded apps on it. If you're big into apps then it's probably something you should look into. You should also watch which developers you download apps from.

12-31-10 12:13 PM
    There are a number of applications—typically games—we have seen repackaged with the Geinimi Trojan and posted in Chinese app stores, including Monkey Jump 2, Sex Positions, President vs. Aliens, City Defense and Baseball Superstars 2010. It is important to remember that even though there are instances of the games repackaged with the Trojan, the original versions available in the official Google Android Market have not been affected
    PSA: There Are Some Trojans In Some Apps… Somewhere. Remain Vigilant, Friends. | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police
    12-31-10 12:26 PM
    No, you do not need antivirus software.
    12-31-10 12:58 PM
    If you're really worried, follow the example of this iPhone user.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-31-10 at 02:34 PM.
    12-31-10 02:16 PM
    ^^^ lmfao that is hilarious.
    12-31-10 02:19 PM
    Android phones are Linux based phones, it's extremely hard to code a virus for these units. How ever there are mal-ware programs out there which is what this is. it's not a virus.
    Ok, I'll rephrase... Yup if you want to filter for malware which has the potential to do bad stuff much like virus may .
    12-31-10 06:01 PM
    What apps?? And looking at ratings don't help at all I could build a trojan app and have a bunch of five star ratings. I have never heard of an app bricking a phone on the other hand rooting and applying roms with little to no knowledge will get you some serious brick action.
    I saw one thread in the Android Central forums. One dood tried to install some sexy wallpaper app or theme from the App Market and it instantly bricked his phone. It was little known and had low ratings. You can only get high ratings and reviews if other people comment on them, no?
    12-31-10 06:04 PM
    If you only plan on buying/downloading apps from Chinese app markets, then year, download an Anti-virus software. In the Google official app store, no trojans are present. Those apps are already confirmed to be clean.
    01-01-11 09:32 AM
    Do you needed an anti-virus program? No. Should you have an anti-virus program like Lookout? Depends on what you use your device for, how well you understand permissions, and how often you download from un-trusted sources.
    01-01-11 11:37 AM
    I doubt there are viruses for Androids...

...yet?! O_O
    Wrong!

Android malware enters 2011

Not strictly a virus, but social engineering and trojans which can do more harm than a virus. It is particularly scary to read what data they can get from an Android phone... basically, enough to clone it.
    01-01-11 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD