*cries*

My Galaxy S on Halloween got the dreaded "unable to mount internal SD card" error. I was able to get the drive to remount but I knew it was probably a matter of time until the SD card went. There is a known issue with some of them. And tonight, it froze. I did the 3 button recovery, and black screen. After an hour of fighting with it I was able to boot it but the SD card would not mount. I couldn't get it to plug into the computer to get it even able to use Odin. Nothing. Poof. It wasn't even rooted, for crying out loud! And I know the lagfix can bring on the error, but I tried the lagfix for a week and took it off, a month ago.

Took it in, and it's on it's way to Samsung Canada Repair. Should be 2 weeks. And I had to reactivate my *gulp* Blackberry Curve 8330.

Holy crap - its slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. And I dont have data yet because it was after hours to get the plan swapped. It took 7 minutes to boot.

ACK.

It's painful. I've been so spoiled by the gorgeousness of the screen on the Galaxy and the speed...

I miss my phone.
    11-02-10 09:14 PM
    My condolences....

My backup device used to be an 8330, but it is a Droid 1 now. However, I used to reactivate the Curve when going to the beach. Yeah, it was painfully slow.
    11-02-10 09:24 PM
    The Desire Z is launching tomorrow - I am painfully tempted to go buy one at full price. I don't know if I can take this for 2 weeks...
    11-02-10 09:42 PM
    I spoke with Bell - in the end I have a Desire Z in my hands, and I'm happy again. No more slow as **** BB!
    11-05-10 11:24 PM
    Must not have it any other way!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 11:37 PM
    Dropping the SGS for the Desire Z?
    11-06-10 07:03 AM
    I spoke with Bell - in the end I have a Desire Z in my hands, and I'm happy again. No more slow as **** BB!
    You made a wise choice.
    11-06-10 07:29 AM
    Just watched some videos about the Z, seems like one great device. Op, if you can give some feedback compared to the galaxy s as I'm with Bell also and might want to get my hands on one too, not to replace my sgs but to add to one of my lines.

Last edited by GG1; 11-06-10 at 10:08 AM.
    11-06-10 09:35 AM
    I don't know if I will keep the Galaxy or not, avt123. My hubby has a phone upgrade coming in February but I figured I would give him either the Desire or the SGS when it comes back, so he doesn't have to burn an upgrade until he wanted to. It's just whic phone I will give him...

Here's some impressions on the Desire so far...

Pro Desire Z

1) IT IS SO FAST. Like - even though it has a slower processor, it is a lot peppier than the Galaxy. It scores over 1600 out of the box on Quadrant.

2) HTC Sense is so smooth. I liked Touchwiz, but I love Sense.

3) Physical keyboard. I didn't realize I missed one until I had one again.

4) LED notifications. MISSED THOSE. There are actually two. There is one hidden behind the earpiece speaker grill, and there is one around the optical trackpad - a ring around it.

5) I thought I would miss the storage space on the Galaxy vs this, you know, on board 16Gb vs 1.5Gb. It came with an 8Gb card. Being able to store apps on the SD card, huge help. Don't miss it at all. Especially with the problems with the SD card, I am a little happier with not relying so much on the constant accessing of the on board SD module.

6) Android 2.2 - so much better, the little tweaks and memory management have made a huge difference.

7) A flash for the camera. Wasn't a deal breaker for me, never was, but it's nice to have.

Pro Galaxy S

1) No question. The screen. I miss that gorgeous screen. The HTC screen is nice, don't get me wrong, it's really nice. However, if you had the two side by side, there is no comparison.

2) Battery. The capacity of the HTC is 1300 vs the Samsung having 1500. Am I getting through the day easily, yes - but compared to the Samsung I do miss that extra cushion. Now, Froyo seems to manage the battery really well so we shall see, I will update when I have used the phone more normally as opposed to setting everything up and playing with it. Right now, the same battery monitor I used for my SGS that estimated 23 hours normal use is estimating 17 hours normal use for this, and I always, always ran longer than that.

3) The media power - the Desire is awesome, but the SGS is a powerhouse.

Hope that helps, GG1!
    Last edited by reeneebob; 11-06-10 at 12:46 PM.
    11-06-10 12:43 PM
    Reports of Froyo running on the SGS are awesome. The Desire is faster because the Sense UI is better than TouchWiz. Also, the SGS scores a higher Quadrant on 2.1 than the Desire Z/G2 does on 2.2. You just have to do the lag fix because Samsung had to be Samsung. This doesn't trick the system at all either, it is what the score should really be. But that requires root.

They are both great devices though so whatever you chose will be fine.
    11-06-10 12:57 PM
    The lagfix is part of what messed up my phone. The SD problems didn't start until I had lagfix on it. I took it off, but it was too late, the damage was done. I am not the only one who had the error after lagfix. I ran it with lagfix twice, and both times within a week I had to take it off and reformat the phone because lagfix effed it up. If I do go back to SGS, I will not lagfix it.

I don't want to root the phone. I find it runs better FOR ME stock. So, it's double what my SGS did without a lagfix on it.

I actually was happier with my SGS without a lagfix on it. It sucks it needs one to be as fast as this is stock.
    11-06-10 02:00 PM
    The lagfix is part of what messed up my phone. The SD problems didn't start until I had lagfix on it. I took it off, but it was too late, the damage was done. I am not the only one who had the error after lagfix. I ran it with lagfix twice, and both times within a week I had to take it off and reformat the phone because lagfix effed it up. If I do go back to SGS, I will not lagfix it.

I don't want to root the phone. I find it runs better FOR ME stock. So, it's double what my SGS did without a lagfix on it.

I actually was happier with my SGS without a lagfix on it. It sucks it needs one to be as fast as this is stock.
    It doesn't need it to be as fast as the Desire Z stock. You are comparing a device on 2.1 to a device on 2.2. There is a HUGE difference. Especially when Snaprdragon processors are the ONLY ones that are enhanced by JIT, and even with that they are STILL inferior. I suggest waiting till 2.2 before you make a decision. The hardware in the SGS is still better. If not, get an extended battery and enjoy the Desire. Like I said they are both great phones, but you haven't even seen the potential of the SGS hardware yet.
    11-06-10 02:32 PM
    Thank you very much reeneebob for your input on the Z. Very nice,well written review of the phone and very helpful. I want to add another android device to one of my lines and was thinking of another sgs or the Z. but Avt123 is right about the sgs with 2.2 to see its full potential. I guess the smart thing to do is wait for froyo and then make a decision.
    Thanks again.

Last edited by GG1; 11-06-10 at 06:13 PM.
    11-06-10 03:27 PM
    It doesn't need it to be as fast as the Desire Z stock. You are comparing a device on 2.1 to a device on 2.2. There is a HUGE difference. Especially when Snaprdragon processors are the ONLY ones that are enhanced by JIT, and even with that they are STILL inferior. I suggest waiting till 2.2 before you make a decision. The hardware in the SGS is still better. If not, get an extended battery and enjoy the Desire. Like I said they are both great phones, but you haven't even seen the potential of the SGS hardware yet.
    Oh I know - I ain't parting with the SGS until I have Froyo on it, then I will make the final decision.

I am so happy to be back on Android though...although an old flip would have been an improvement over my BB.
    11-06-10 07:14 PM
    I am so happy to be back on Android though...although an old flip would have been an improvement over my BB.
    OUCH, your BB(s) was/were that bad to you?
    11-06-10 08:25 PM
    Well, my 8330 after an SGS was that bad an experience. It was physically painful.

I remembered really, really quickly why I got frustrated with the BB platform, I think that's the nice way to put it. It was like driving a Bugatti Veyron and being stuck back with a Volkswagon Beetle (thank you Top Gear! I just rewatched their worst car ever made episode lol).
    11-06-10 09:19 PM
    Well, I kind of remember my 8330 experience. It was nice, but as I added more complex apps its way, it really started to show its real limitation(s). I think that's where i learned the concept of pulling a battery. Although, the Treo I started the smart phone world with was a simple press of the reset button with the stylus.
    11-06-10 11:51 PM
    I haven't done a pull in weeks. Just hearing that makes me twitch...LOL.
    11-07-10 07:28 AM
    The first day I had to pull the battery, wait for it, 4 TIMES.

It was excrutiating. It also amazes me how far cell phones have come in the few years since the 8330.
    11-07-10 11:45 AM
    I had an 8320... I was frozen more often than not. Loved that Curve,but it was unusable for a good portion of time. I had to remove apps I needed, which further reduced the efficacy of the device.
    11-07-10 01:44 PM
    What's funny was when I thought about upgrading to the 8530 from my old 8330. But I realized I wasn't upgrading much. It's sad, especially in the case of Verizon. The curve is handled and priced to match its entry level user base

11-07-10 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD