Does the Droid use or can it recognize BB PINs? It would be even better if it could use BB IM.
    12-12-09 05:50 PM
    Does the Droid use or can it recognize BB PINs? It would be even better if it could use BB IM.
    i very seriously doubt it is even possible. this is one of the big things that keeps me on the fence on switching from my storm to the droid...im due for an upgrade too.
    12-12-09 06:02 PM
    From what I've read, you cannot use bbm on any mobile device that doesn't use the RIM servers.
    12-12-09 06:05 PM
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I really like the new 5.0 version and have loved my Storm from the beginning. I can't decide between the Storm2 and the Droid.
    12-12-09 06:08 PM
    I couldn't stand the BB messenger, Every time we had 20 or more people in, it would fail. I think it had to to with people running leaks and I think the different OS version married up poorly. Google Talk is way better IMO.
    12-12-09 08:16 PM
    BBM is exclusive to BlackBerry. It doesn't cross with other devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 08:39 PM
    Not possible, not gonna happen.

Read this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/ba...uestion-378738

You would need a PIN for BBM. Since the pin is assigned to the phone by RIM, I don't think it's going to work. (Unless you are sleeping with a RIM exec and they give you a PIN and hack the servers to allow you a BIS account with a non-RIM device, etc.)
    Last edited by rip14; 12-12-09 at 08:50 PM.
    12-12-09 08:47 PM
    Bbm is nice but the android platform is SO MUCH nicer than blackberry I can live without Bbm.

12-12-09 08:57 PM
    You mean there isn't an App for that? Shame.

Guess IM clients will have to suffice.
    12-12-09 09:42 PM
    Bbm is nice but the android platform is SO MUCH nicer than blackberry I can live without Bbm.

see thats kinda what im seeing, but its hard when i use BBM a good bit.

...question...if i do switch to the droid, can my storm still use bbm, or will it only work when activated on an account?
    12-13-09 12:25 AM
    I honestly don't see what people think is so great about BBM. I have a few contacts that I talk to, but its really no better than email. Actually email is better because you can send full size images and other types of attachments too.

Can anyone explain why the lack of BBM is a deal breaker AT ALL?

12-13-09 01:25 AM
    see thats kinda what im seeing, but its hard when i use BBM a good bit.

...question...if i do switch to the droid, can my storm still use bbm, or will it only work when activated on an account?
    ...u need an active account for the phone. Just get their numbers and give up BBM. It sucks anyways.
    12-13-09 01:57 AM
    ...u need an active account for the phone. Just get their numbers and give up BBM. It sucks anyways.
    where it really works good is a group chat. im a site mod over on moddedmustangs and a good bunch of the staff have bbm. its the quickest way to get an answer from the group that way. that and me worrying about sketchy email on the droid is just making me hesitate or considering going to the storm 2. i have gmail though so apparently that works pretty good with the droid and you can get messages immediately, but i also have another email account that i have on my bb that i would like to get messages on without having to forward them to the gmail account.
    another thing i have seen on forums but not gotten a positive answer on is if the accelerometer actually works without having to slide out the keyboard.

just seems like a lot of little things that might get on my nerves.
    Last edited by WLJohnson05; 12-13-09 at 02:57 AM.
    12-13-09 02:52 AM
    I honestly don't see what people think is so great about BBM. I have a few contacts that I talk to, but its really no better than email. Actually email is better because you can send full size images and other types of attachments too.

Can anyone explain why the lack of BBM is a deal breaker AT ALL?

Wish I could, but I can't. With SMS and email I don't miss BBM in the least.

I can't fathom why bbm is always made to be a huge deal when people move on to other phones.
    12-13-09 08:10 AM
    Wish I could, but I can't. With SMS and email I don't miss BBM in the least.

I can't fathom why bbm is always made to be a huge deal when people move on to other phones.
    like i said in my other post...if you use it for a group chat frequently then it has its value
    12-13-09 02:32 PM
    WLJohnson, just looking at your requirements -- this might come in handy.
    Gmail distribution lists | Gmail groups list tutorials

Now, since we're talking Gmail here, I'm sure replies you're looking for would come in quick if not instant push. If you do reply to the group, you won't have to worry about your other recipients if they have reliable mail delivery like the BB.

The above is just an idea, I have not tested it but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a little tweaking.
    12-13-09 03:26 PM
    WLJohnson, just looking at your requirements -- this might come in handy.
    Gmail distribution lists | Gmail groups list tutorials

Now, since we're talking Gmail here, I'm sure replies you're looking for would come in quick if not instant push. If you do reply to the group, you won't have to worry about your other recipients if they have reliable mail delivery like the BB.

The above is just an idea, I have not tested it but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a little tweaking.
    that might work...

the more i do on researching the droid, the more i feel like im just gonna go ahead and get it. so on monday i could possibly come home with a droid.

only thing im not sure on now is getting everything from my storm to a droid. i tried downloading google sync but it wouldnt let me put in a password to sign into it so i could sync.
    12-13-09 04:17 PM
    In preparation for my migration to the Droid I did the same time thing by downloading Google Synch for my BB Pearl. Once synched I went to Google and did some editing online since it's easier on a PC.

You have the 30days to try it out though, spend the first few days getting acquainted with your Droid and when you're comfortable, go crazy on the apps
    12-13-09 05:26 PM
    In preparation for my migration to the Droid I did the same time thing by downloading Google Synch for my BB Pearl. Once synched I went to Google and did some editing online since it's easier on a PC.

You have the 30days to try it out though, spend the first few days getting acquainted with your Droid and when you're comfortable, go crazy on the apps
    see thats what i want to do, but i cant use sync...when i got to the screen where you have to put in your email and password, i cant click in the password box to do my password. if i touch it does nothing, if i click it opens the menu...

edit: after doing some more research on here i found a thread that has a way of dealing with sync.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/go...3/#post4128924
    Last edited by WLJohnson05; 12-13-09 at 05:53 PM.
    12-13-09 05:38 PM
    All my BB contacts have switched to Google Talk. It offers group chat, but I haven't figured out a way to send attachments. To the user that was asking about the accelerometer working to change the screen orientation without the phone being opened, no, it does not. However, I have an app that I downloaded called PandaHome which does enable accelerometer without opening the keyboard, plus allows themes to be added and to add screens (the Droid only has 3 screens, but with PandaHome you can add up to I think 12) which makes it nice for those of us without Sense UI.
    12-13-09 08:31 PM
    All my BB contacts have switched to Google Talk. It offers group chat, but I haven't figured out a way to send attachments. To the user that was asking about the accelerometer working to change the screen orientation without the phone being opened, no, it does not. However, I have an app that I downloaded called PandaHome which does enable accelerometer without opening the keyboard, plus allows themes to be added and to add screens (the Droid only has 3 screens, but with PandaHome you can add up to I think 12) which makes it nice for those of us without Sense UI.
    is that a free app?
    12-13-09 10:58 PM
    +1 for using Google Talk....and on an Android device..it's just natural to use it!!
    12-13-09 11:11 PM
    is that a free app?
    PandaHome is free.
    12-14-09 12:57 AM
    I never text anymore.Everyone I talk to is on BBM.
    12-14-09 10:26 AM
    BBM is exclusive to BlackBerry. It doesn't cross with other devices.

I think windows moble has some type of BBM client.
    12-14-09 10:28 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD