Im pretty sure most threads become Android vs. Blackberry just because of you guys.
    05-11-11 09:01 PM
    Rick: funnily enough, I never concerned myself with battery charging till I got involved with forums either...
    05-11-11 09:07 PM
    We can do pretty much everything you can, name one thing blackberry can't do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Honestly, how many times have we been down this road man? There are things Android devices can do that every single BB currently out cannot do period. BBs have certain hardware limitations.
    05-11-11 11:18 PM
    No, I don't have a wifi hotspot but I have no problems tethering my laptop to my blackberry so this is a thing Android does better.
    I had a Sony Ericson phone 3-4 years ago with FFC, never used it and i wouldn't use one simply because i like my privacy.
    What does a front facing camera have to do with privacy? Having a front facing camera does not intrude on your privacy at all. All it does is allow you to easily take shots of yourself and video chat. If you are going to video chat you already know what you are getting into, and want to have a "face to face" conversation. It's no different then talking to someone right next to you. Do you hide your face when you walk in public? I highly doubt it.

Wanna know the best thing about it? You don't have to use it. It's just there and is just another thing Android and iOS devices offer that BBs (smartphone not PlayBook) currently do not. I wont mention HD video, HDMI out, a GPU that is actually used (only CDMA models have a cpu), real widgets (Android only, and do not start a debate on this again), flash support (Android), running apps off the SD card (Android), WiFi hot spots, out of the box voice controls, out of the box turn by turn navigation for free (Android), better out of the box exchange support, the ability to change software keyboards (Android), touchscreens that are running at high quality pixel density and resolutions and more... Oh wait, I mentioned them. Oh well. ****, you can't even play a simple game like Angry Birds, a game EVERY other platform (including Symbian) can play. Oh yea, iOS and Android have Skyfire as well because their dev team didn't give up on those platforms, unlike BBOS.

You cannot dispute this. I do not care if you do not use the feature or do not care about the feature. That fact is the feature is there on Android (and many on iOS) and is not there on BB OS. End of story.

I am sorry if this comes off as mean, but it is seriously getting old with you saying the same thing every few weeks. You love your BB, that is great. I am happy it works perfectly for you. Honestly I am. There just is no disputing that BB OS currently cannot do many of the things I listed above. However, you soon will be able to (many of the features) with the new devices coming out, OS7 and above.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-11-11 at 11:36 PM.
    05-11-11 11:22 PM
    What does a front facing camera have to do with privacy? Having a front facing camera does not intrude on your privacy at all. All it does is allow you to easily take shots of yourself and video chat. If you are going to video chat you already know what you are getting into, and want to have a "face to face" conversation. It's no different then talking to someone right next to you. Do you hide your face when you walk in public? I highly doubt it.

Wanna know the best thing about it? You don't have to use it. It's just there and is just another thing Android and iOS devices offer that BBs (smartphone not PlayBook) currently do not. I wont mention HD video, HDMI out, a GPU that is actually used (only CDMA models have a cpu), real widgets (Android only, and do not start a debate on this again), flash support (Android), running apps off the SD card (Android), WiFi hot spots, out of the box voice controls, out of the box turn by turn navigation for free (Android), better out of the box exchange support, the ability to change software keyboards (Android), touchscreens that are running at high quality pixel density and resolutions and more... Oh wait, I mentioned them. Oh well. ****, you can't even play a simple game like Angry Birds, a game EVERY other platform (including Symbian) can play. Oh yea, iOS and Android have Skyfire as well because their dev team didn't give up on those platforms, unlike BBOS.

You cannot dispute this. I do not care if you do not use the feature or do not care about the feature. That fact is the feature is there on Android (and many on iOS) and is not there on BB OS. End of story.

I am sorry if this comes off as mean, but it is seriously getting old with you saying the same thing every few weeks. You love your BB, that is great. I am happy it works perfectly for you. Honestly I am. There just is no disputing that BB OS currently cannot do many of the things I listed above. However, you soon will be able to (many of the features) with the new devices coming out, OS7 and above.

What does video calling have to do with privacy? I'll put it simple for you, think how many times your phone rings and you just answer it automatically then think if those calls were videocalls how many times would you answer it and how many times you would ignore them? It's because that invades your privacy.

From your list above there's only one thing I that Android has on blackberry, hdmi output, the rest are things android does better. HD recording is just better video recording, wifi hotspot is just better tethering etc etc

Anyway, pretty soon blackberry will have those too with the 9900, what would you have to say then?

05-12-11 01:20 AM
    What does video calling have to do with privacy? I'll put it simple for you, think how many times your phone rings and you just answer it automatically then think if those calls were videocalls how many times would you answer it and how many times you would ignore them? It's because that invades your privacy.
    What? I have not worried once about privacy with video chat. One, because the calls will only be answered if I know the person and two, you don't have to answer the call, the same way you don't have to answer a voice call.

I have once worried about privacy from answering a video call from someone I know. If I can talk to them in person, I can talk to them over video on my device. It is basically the same exact thing but less personal.

Also, I don't automatically answer calls. So that is your fault if you answer the device without looking who is calling or what type of call you are receiving. That's not invasion of privacy, that is your own lack of observation.

From your list above there's only one thing I that Android has on blackberry, hdmi output, the rest are things android does better. HD recording is just better video recording, wifi hotspot is just better tethering etc etc
    And here we go with the excuses. As that all you have to say? "It's just better"? Of course it is just better. The hardware in the BB is lower. It is unable to record in HD. It is unable to tether wirelessly. It's not "just better". It is UNABLE to do these things, just like it is UNABLE to have HDMI out due to hardware limitations. The support for this tech is just not there in current gen BBs.

Anyway, pretty soon blackberry will have those too with the 9900, what would you have to say then?

When the BBs that can do all of these things I listed I will say nothing. I honestly don't really say anything (maybe I'll throw in a "congrats" or "welcome to the club" or even a "finally"), it is just extremely old with you coming in every two or three weeks saying the same thing, then you admit to Android being able to do more but you admit it with an excuse. This is really the only time since the last time I told you in another thread within the Android section that I have listed and talked about what Android can do that BBs cannot.

It is ok that BBs cannot do these things. It is even more ok to just accept the truth.
    Last edited by avt123; 05-12-11 at 05:19 AM.
    05-12-11 05:12 AM

BD, you have to admit that that is funny...
    05-12-11 06:45 AM
    However, you soon will be able to (many of the features) with the new devices coming out, OS7 and above.

Umm..he already said that. But I would say welcome to 2 years ago.

Either you have some slight retardation or you're just here trying to pick fights. Now that the "trolling" is being policed my guess is you have no place to argue anymore..so why not come here to do it.

Posted from my NON wap crackberry
    05-12-11 06:48 AM
    Ok, this discussion is really getting a little ridiculous. Comparing some of these things is like comparing apples and oranges. Who cares anyway? Those who like Blackberrys (I am one) do so for very specific reasons. I've used all types of phones and I still say there are things that BB does better and things that Android does better. Why they do is irrelevant. I also like Android. Good for me. Pick the device which best suits your needs. THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER HERE.

As for the privacy discussion, give me a break. There are people out there that don't want to use an FFC because of privacy, yet these same people will hand over their credit card to a waiter/waitress who then walks in the back and does who knows what with it. Face it, your privacy is probably "violated" every freakin day. It's usually not the end of the world but the real key is you almost always have a choice in whether it happens. Just do NOT act all pompous about it when you just don't have a clue but somehow think it will impress someone. All it does is make you look silly and uninformed.
    05-12-11 06:49 AM
    First of all why are you guys taking this so personal? I have on opinion and I express it just like you and I don't appreciate insults. But when some people come here posting about how blackberry can't do anything, even play Doodle jump as blackberrys don't have accelerometers? , I mean come on, I was playing need for speed on the Storm2 nearly 2 years ago. Who's misinformed here?

I recognize Android does some things better but so does Blackberry but most of you just ignore that.

And you guys are confusing data privacy with privacy as in your private time and space. Can you answer a video call, when you're getting changed, dressed, or dressing your kids, at the table eating, on the toilet, driving,in a public place without a headset, walking down the street etc etc, those could all be invading your private space. That is the real reason it never took off on mobile phones, on computers yes, but on phones it will always have a very very small audience.
    I guarantee you that if a boss would demand his employees to answer videocalls whenever he wants that would be considered a breach of human rights.

05-12-11 07:45 AM
    And you guys are confusing data privacy with privacy as in your private time and space. Can you answer a video call, when you're getting changed, dressed, or dressing your kids, at the table eating, on the toilet, driving,in a public place without a headset, walking down the street etc etc, those could all be invading your private space. That is the real reason it never took off on mobile phones, on computers yes, but on phones it will always have a very very small audience.
    I guarantee you that if a boss would demand his employees to answer videocalls whenever he wants that would be considered a breach of human rights.

First off..video calling will never replace 'normal' calling. It's not going to happen...so you're paranoia about someone video calling you while you're on the toilet is unnecessary. What it is good for is for people who work away (or have family at long distances) and want some "facetime" with friends or family..when you can (key word here) pre-arrange a video call. Most video calling features require you to know the contact your calling and for them to have you in their system as well..so it's not like telemarketers are going to be trying to video call you to tell you about their latest products

Until you've actually spent some time with other platforms..you'll never truly understand what the others have to offer. It's like trying to compare women. Yes..they all have breasts, curves, and generally smell good..but they are DEFINATELY not all alike and they don't all offer the same things
    05-12-11 08:57 AM
    First off..video calling will never replace 'normal' calling. It's not going to happen...so you're paranoia about someone video calling you while you're on the toilet is unnecessary. What it is good for is for people who work away (or have family at long distances) and want some "facetime" with friends or family..when you can (key word here) pre-arrange a video call. Most video calling features require you to know the contact your calling and for them to have you in their system as well..so it's not like telemarketers are going to be trying to video call you to tell you about their latest products

Until you've actually spent some time with other platforms..you'll never truly understand what the others have to offer. It's like trying to compare women. Yes..they all have breasts, curves, and generally smell good..but they are DEFINATELY not all alike and they don't all offer the same things
    Yeah but they do serve the same general purpose lmao

Fair enough about the long distance thing but I prefer my phones not to have it, after all I did have 3 different phones that had it and I never ever used it, one sony ericsson and two htc win mo before I got my first blackberry.

05-12-11 09:07 AM
    Before you bash android, you have to try it. Till then, it's all yap, yap, yap
    05-12-11 09:31 AM
    No need, plenty did and reported back. There's no 30 days to make up your mind in UK, you make your choice and you have to stick with it.

Simple things you take for granted, for example I was playing with a friend's LG Optimus the other day and I directed him to the cnet bol webpage, clicked on the download podcast link and was faced with two options, open in music app or open in video app, no save option. When I do the same on the bb browser it gives me 3 options, open, save and cancel.

05-12-11 10:24 AM

Just quit adding the fuel.
    No need, plenty did and reported back. There's no 30 days to make up your mind in UK, you make your choice and you have to stick with it.

Simple things you take for granted, for example I was playing with a friend's LG Optimus the other day and I directed him to the cnet bol webpage, clicked on the download podcast link and was faced with two options, open in music app or open in video app, no save option. When I do the same on the bb browser it gives me 3 options, open, save and cancel.

Honestly we all know what BB/Android phones can do. No need to argue over worthless points about phones.
    05-12-11 10:45 AM
    Honestly we all know what BB/Android phones can do. No need to argue over worthless points about phones.
    Obviously not everybody knows otherwise these arguments wouldn't exist.

05-12-11 11:03 AM
    The whole thread is pointless and repetitive. There are many a thread about battery life. The OP even says "i know it's already been said..."
    05-12-11 11:29 AM
    I recognize Android does some things better but so does Blackberry but most of you just ignore that.
    No one is ignoring the facts. People know what a BB does better. ALL of us use to use them or still do. Do you not remember that?

Of course I wouldn't answer the call if I was naked or dressing my kids unless it was my significant other. You are just nitpicking now and it is getting extremely obvious. I usually don't answer a voice call when I am busy getting dressed (I do not have a kid anyways).

How is walking down the street video chatting invading privacy? Dude, it is the same exact thing as walking down the street talking to the person next to you. It is pretty hard to walk and spy on someone on a video camera, but it is much easier to walk and spy on someone who is talking to the person next to them. Eavesdropping is a lot more possible that way.

I would not answer the phone while I am at the table eating because that is just rude. I do not even text at the table. I also do not talk on the phone while I'm taking a ****. It would be pretty gross to video chat while doing that.

I doubt a boss would do this. However, I bet a boss would require the use of video chat for meetings at required times.

You are just nitpicking. You are saying reasons that are obvious when you would't answer a video call. The fact is that you don't have to answer the call. If seems like you are forgetting that option.
    05-12-11 12:58 PM
    You're right, video chatting walking down the street will not affect your privacy but you would look ridiculous as well as probably give the other person motion sickness lol
    I was just pointing out why I think videocalling never became popular even with Apple's facetime. Personally I don't want it on a blackberry.

05-12-11 01:30 PM
    Yea pluggin ur phone in sux. Why can't they make perpetual motion drives for phones? Or whatever they're called that expensive watches have?

05-12-11 02:25 PM
    You're right, video chatting walking down the street will not affect your privacy but you would look ridiculous as well as probably give the other person motion sickness lol
    I was just pointing out why I think videocalling never became popular even with Apple's facetime. Personally I don't want it on a blackberry.

Yea, I agree you would look ridiculous. I still think people with bluetooth headsets look ridiculous. When someone looks like they are talking to themselves it's just weird lol.

I agree, video chat on mobile devices right now is not that popular. However, I will say, once FFC is the norm on all smartphones, I think usage will increase dramatically.
    05-12-11 03:41 PM
    I've found that my Droid 2 gets me roughly the same battery life I got with my Tour *if* I use them both the same amount. I get worse life in practice with the Droid 2 because it does so much more and does it so much better than the Tour could. Even with an extended battery I rarely made it through a whole day with the Tour. Same with the Droid 2 and the extended battery for it.

Maybe I just got a good example of the Droid 2 and a pair of bad example Tours (one new, later one refurb).
    05-12-11 08:02 PM
    I've found that my Droid 2 gets me roughly the same battery life I got with my Tour *if* I use them both the same amount. I get worse life in practice with the Droid 2 because it does so much more and does it so much better than the Tour could. Even with an extended battery I rarely made it through a whole day with the Tour. Same with the Droid 2 and the extended battery for it.

Maybe I just got a good example of the Droid 2 and a pair of bad example Tours (one new, later one refurb).
    Not to be picky here and I hope it doesn't start another argument but you couldn't possibly use them the same as you would have to have all your email accounts set to push and we all know that push on anything else but a blackberry drains the battery. I have 5 email accounts set up on my phone right now, all instant push.

05-13-11 04:11 AM
    push on anything drains the battery? i have 3 push emails, push facebook, gtalk, push tiwtter and still went 50 hours on my incredible. Push technology doesnt drain he battery. Any other false info you want to share?
    05-13-11 08:15 AM
    You could be unlucky..but from what I've gleaned from various posts of yours..you use your Atrix a lot more for multimedia purposes than your Torch..so side by side comparisons wont be the same. When I had my Torch..I would be off the charger at 5am and plugged in by 10pm. I generally had about 20% remaining. Using two different Android device's..my results are much the same..although I find I browse ALOT more on my Androids simply because its more pleasurable (as well as e-read). My androids are both rooted however and take advantage of the many things available to increase battery life.

As far as my wife's iphone..I'm sure she leaves her GPS on all the time..as well as Bluetooth and wifi. Plugging it in doesn't bother her..and truth be told..I never used to be concerned with how often I charged my phone until I became a regular on cellphone forums lol. Go figure eh..
    I did! You remember?!? Right after I got my mail working I started using my Atrix as my primary device, and kept my Torch in my bag because it still was my primary number. Then when my daughter had her tonsils out and I was homme with her I actually tried to switch the numbers so my primary number would ring on my Atrix. However, the AT&T CSR couldn't change them because of the difference in SIM cards. So initially I thought the battery would settle in and I could use it as my primary device.
    However, that was when the lagginess began and then the battery improved only while I was home and on WiFi. Most of my workdays are away from WiFi. That was when I took Gmail off my Torch and went back to it. Then I began using my Atrix for multimedia and browsing.
    Now - I have a very long commute because I work in DC and live in the country. So my usage on the train is always the same length - browsing, emailing, YouTube. I use my iPod for music. The ony difference is that with the Atrix if I get to a site that uses Flash I can view it.
    Other than that, usage is the same on my Torch as when I was using my Atrix as my main device.
    Trust me, I WANTED it to work. I paid cash for it. I don't buy a device and spend $500 hoping it won't be a fit!
    05-13-11 08:18 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD