I can't wait to get a new bold if /when it comes to sprint. I got sick of my slow 8530 and had to give this free transform and android a shot.
    I am liking the features and I think android is a fun os, but the battery. Life is really bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 06:46 PM
    Yup, it is. I cannot go a full day on one charge while on the network, never gone to 14 hours. On WiFi I can go up to 22 hours, but since I'm never on WiFi except on weekends it doesn't do me any good.
    I don't want to have to be constantly aware of where the closest power source is located.
    05-08-11 06:49 PM
    I was getting 18 hours of heavy use on my Droid X and a little less on my Droid. Sorry you guys don't have the same experience.
    05-08-11 07:25 PM
    I have a storm 2 and I never get more than half a day. (brand new battery). I think this battery issue is a non issue, propagated by BB enthusiasts. If a battery gets you through a day of work plus some time at home, what is wrong w that? The whole having to charge every night complaint is silly. Really who cares if the phone is on charge while your sleeping? This has been something I have read quite a bit and feel its a losing argument. Just my opinion!!!!

05-08-11 08:09 PM
    I have a storm 2 and I never get more than half a day. (brand new battery). I think this battery issue is a non issue, propagated by BB enthusiasts. If a battery gets you through a day of work plus some time at home, what is wrong w that? The whole having to charge every night complaint is silly. Really who cares if the phone is on charge while your sleeping? This has been something I have read quite a bit and feel its a losing argument. Just my opinion!!!!

I have an s2 also and have the original battery (1 1/2 yr old) and it easily gets me through the day with moderate to heavy use. I charge every night no matter what. Always have...

05-08-11 08:31 PM
    I don't know why exactly but deffinetly charged my android twice today. I aM always messing around on my bb 8530 and it does not seem to drain the battery as fast.

05-09-11 01:08 AM

Making it through the day and having to charge it at night is annoying and I would prefer not to. One never knows how long a day will be when one is on travel.
    I'm referring to not being able to make it from the time I leave my front door to the time I get back to my car and off the train in the afternoon. I don't want to be constantly aware of the nearest power source.

My Torch and every BB I've owned has seen me trough a full day and into the next.
    05-09-11 02:16 AM
    I would put the Storm2 in the same boat with the Androids, my 9700 lasts me twice as long then my Storm2 did.

05-09-11 03:18 AM
    I would put the Storm2 in the same boat with the Androids, my 9700 lasts me twice as long then my Storm2 did.

I concur. The only way to make my S2 last a day was to go on 2G unless I'm surfing the web/reading news.
    05-09-11 03:34 AM
    The newer single core processors have better battery life, and are in fact the same ones being used in the 99xx series. Making it through the day, no matter what, is what is needed. If it goes 1.5 days, then you are still recharging during the day, or avoiding that by recharging at night anyway.

05-09-11 04:48 AM
    RIM touchscreen phones all have way worse battery than the keyboard/non touch ones. Its not hard to see that adding a bigger touchscreen to a phone uses the batter much more no matter what brand of phone.

for the record my storm 2 and incredible would last the same which was about a day but sometimes needs a charge before bed (20 hours maybe)
    05-09-11 06:16 AM
    Those big, beautiful screens come at a price, and that's battery life. The need to make it through a day is important, since not everyone is always near a power source. While not a deal breaker for me, it is a great selling point for BB.
    05-09-11 07:12 AM
    Completely agree. That's what people need to do, weigh the pros and the cons. People have different needs and wants, and they should not be dismissed as rhetoric or fanboyism.
    Sometimes my Atrix works for me better than my Torch, and sometimes the opposite is true.

05-09-11 07:21 AM
    The Android battery life does suck - it's sucks a lot. If your phone can't last as long as you through the day, it's worthless (in the world according to me).
    05-09-11 09:25 AM
    I'll agree that the battery life of my HTC Desire isn't great. However, installing a custom ROM will give you a noticeable boost. Especially the AOSP roms (original Android), they're quick, minimal and light on storage.
    05-09-11 11:37 AM
    I think a large portion of the battery drain is OS related, not necessarily the screen (not to mention damn near every free app under the sun using the network to serve ads)... A lot of android phones with similar sized screens compared to the iphone4 get worse battery life.

Even the phones with the smaller screens like the droid pro get bad battery life...
    05-09-11 12:38 PM
    Not so good battery life, great device = Android
    Great battery life,horrendous device =Blackberry

Life is full of trade offs and mobile devices aren't an exception.

I'll give up battery life for the better device, it's an easy choice and a no brainer.
    Last edited by JD914; 05-09-11 at 04:47 PM.
    howarmat and lssanjose like this.
    05-09-11 01:34 PM
    Well my dx batt life imo is good. Better than my 9530, 9550 and other dumb phones I've had. The only one that can't be beat was my old 8330. Bit then again that thing couldn't do anything, at least for me.

05-09-11 03:57 PM
    I am curious as to how how the whole touchscreen draining more battery life will play out on the new bold touch....

05-09-11 04:11 PM
    Yep, I get what I consider decent battery life from my Android device.

Even if it was a potentially noticeable trade-off, I'd take that along with what I consider to be a superior device.
    05-09-11 05:13 PM
    When my Tour was my daily driver, I would get about ten hours of use each day. When I had an extremely busy day, I would get 5-6 hours. But that was connecting to my work computer via RDM+, and running apps for work all day long. It got to the point where my BB would sit in the charging cradle on my desk throughout the day, the charging cradle in my car, and the charging cradle on my nightstand. I would also carry a spare battery in case I was out of the office all day.

With my Mesmerize, it sits in the charging cradle on my desk, as well as the one in my vehicle when I'm driving. When out and about,i get about 6-10 hours out of a charge, so battery usage is about the same (maybe a little less). But since I got used to docking cradles with my Tour, it wasn't a huge change when I switched to the Mez.

I carry a 5400mah external battery, just in case. But with charging docks and the cradle in my vehicle, it rarely gets used.
    05-09-11 10:53 PM
    Not so good battery life, great device = Android
    Great battery life,horrendous device =Blackberry

Life is full of trade offs and mobile devices aren't an exception.

I'll give up battery life for the better device, it's an easy choice and a no brainer.
    From my perspective, the Blackberry by no means is a "horrendous" device. Hardly that. Aside from Flash, there is nothing that I can accomplish on my Atrix that I can't accomplish on my Torch. Regardless of the Torch critics, it is more "there" for me than my Atrix.

Truthfully, I've taken gmail off my Torch, put the Atrix in my kitchen drawer, and have returned to my Torch full time. Yes, the display is much better on the Atrix, yes, the multimedia experience kills the BB, but what I personally gain from the Torch kills those Atrix features. And what I get is a device that notifies me in the manner I want with profiles I set as I like, with the messaging experience I like, that takes everything I throw it at it over the course of a day and still has enough juice in it to go beyond. For me, it's a no brainer.

I have the Atrix still, and I use it when I don't mind carrying another device in my purse or when I want to watch a lot of YouTube videos, but after one month of use I much prefer my Blackberry Torch. I hate browsing around and constantly being told that I have exceeded my number of open windows...that's annoying.

Each person has preferences, and I don't find the need anymore to classify all Android devices as trash, like I did when my exposure was through relatives' devices, after using my own Atrix. I've learned what they're about. Having learned, I prefer the Blackberry. It does more for me.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-10-11 at 06:37 AM.
    05-10-11 05:17 AM
    I think a large portion of the battery drain is OS related, not necessarily the screen (not to mention damn near every free app under the sun using the network to serve ads)... A lot of android phones with similar sized screens compared to the iphone4 get worse battery life.

Even the phones with the smaller screens like the droid pro get bad battery life...
    Hadn't thought about this.

If the iPhone can now get such awesome battery life and it's a large full touch screen, why does my Atrix conk out before I get home?
    05-10-11 05:19 AM
    apple has something in battery tech NO other company has, not even blackberry. Its amazing to see a device with a large beautiful screen last so long on a charge even while using it all day long. thats with gaming/calls/etc. Other companies should pay to get that secret lol
    lssanjose likes this.
    05-10-11 07:21 AM
    apple has something in battery tech NO other company has, not even blackberry. Its amazing to see a device with a large beautiful screen last so long on a charge even while using it all day long. thats with gaming/calls/etc. Other companies should pay to get that secret lol
    They also don't allow proper multitasking though, they pause apps instead of leaving them running in the background with a few exceptions of course.

05-10-11 07:38 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD