Glasses-free 3D coming to Android phones and tablets in 2H 2011 – Android and Me

Early this year we speculated that Motorola was working on a 3D phone, but it turned out we were wrong and the device in question only featured a transparent clamshell. This time around we actually have a working prototype captured on video with a tentative release date of the middle of next year.

At this week�s GTC 2010 show, a videogame UI company named Scaleform was showing off a prototype device built by Master Image and NVIDIA that featured glasses-free 3D visuals. The device was powered by an unknown Tegra processor and as you can see in the video below it was clearly running Android.

I actually got to see this demo in person when I was walking around the GTC 2010 show floor and it was the best glasses-free 3D I have seen. The video doesn�t do it justice, but the visuals leaped off the screen and I was blown away that this could be on an Android phone next year. I didn�t have my video camera on hand, but my friend Nicole Scott from Netbooknews captured a quick overview.

Now that we know NVIDIA is working with Motorola, maybe we will see one of these 3D displays in a future Droid phone next summer. I think it would fit pretty nicely in that rumored Playstation phone too if Sony is looking to compete with the Nintendo 3DS.

What do you think about the possibility of owning a 3D phone? Is this ripe or all hype?
    09-24-10 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD