Now I'm going to probably sound like one of the guys who I thought were foolish when I had the Storm, but I'm not doing anymore manual updates. No rooting, none of that. I've already seen too many people complain about bricking their phone, or wanting to go back.

Yes, I did do the manual update for 2.0.1 but that's all I'm going to do. This time I'm playing it safe. It's not like my phone isn't doing a great job, it is. I haven't had 1 reboot in 3 weeks since my purchase. Call me a coward, foolish, whatever. I'm waiting on the OTA.
    12-24-09 02:17 PM
    I'm with you. I also did the 2.0.1 manually but aside from that I think I'm done with the trickery.
    The only thing from 2.1 that I'm REALLY looking forward to is the gallery. I've hated the gallery on my Droid since I got it so I'm eagerly awaiting something new.
    12-24-09 02:24 PM
    I did 2.1 manually, not one problem...

The updates are well worth it and my Droid is better and not bricked.
    12-24-09 02:28 PM
    I agree with hookbill. Going to wait this one out.
    12-24-09 02:39 PM
    I agree with Joey! Im on the 2.1 from Greek35GT v.41 and its working awesome. Loving the new gallery, App Draw, Home Screens, Live Wallpapers and The Market place bug is fixed in this rom. If your going to try 2.1, follow his threads at alldroig.org, he got his own subforum lol

Its so easy to switch between OS's too. i have gone from 2.0 - 2.01 - 2.1 without even hooking up the USB cable. Nandroid Restore FTW!

Download Rom Using WIFI from the web, Unzip using astro, put it in the nandroid directory with astro, Reboot into recovery, Wipe, Restore, and BINGO.

And if you mess up, then you just boot your original backup and ur right back to where u started like nothing changed.
    12-24-09 02:40 PM
    Heh, I wonder how long until Google issues Greek35GT a cease and desist order, or a job offer. He's done just as much as Google has for the Droid community, haha.
    12-24-09 03:08 PM
    did the new release of 2.1 .04 update and its a smooth as butter , i would suggest doing it , the eye candy and performace mkaes it worth it .... and if you dont want to be rooting or updating , then why get a phone with so many capibilities , if you want to get a phone just for it to work , then your clearly shouldnt be on crackberry or android , have fun with it !!! in the end its just a phone
    12-24-09 03:18 PM
    I agree with Joey! Im on the 2.1 from Greek35GT v.41 and its working awesome. Loving the new gallery, App Draw, Home Screens, Live Wallpapers and The Market place bug is fixed in this rom. If your going to try 2.1, follow his threads at alldroig.org, he got his own subforum lol

Its so easy to switch between OS's too. i have gone from 2.0 - 2.01 - 2.1 without even hooking up the USB cable. Nandroid Restore FTW!

Download Rom Using WIFI from the web, Unzip using astro, put it in the nandroid directory with astro, Reboot into recovery, Wipe, Restore, and BINGO.

And if you mess up, then you just boot your original backup and ur right back to where u started like nothing changed.
    Well, it's worked for you and many others. I'll bet if I did it I'd have no problems either. However it hasn't worked for everybody, there are people who have actually bricked their phones. Now I'm not saying you can't recover. I'm simply saying that the Droid with 2.0.1 is not a situation where I feel I have to have the next OS immediately.

Let me see if I can draw a comparison. Let's say we were talking about The Storm running .148. Oh, heck yes, I'd want something better because even though I didn't want to admit it the OS was a pos. So naturally when 5.0 and .323 came out I upgraded. Later the official came out 5.0.328 which there wasn't any difference as far as I can tell.

Rooting the Droid is something I don't have an interest in. Matter of fact one of the benefits of the Droid IMHO is not having to fiddle around with it like I did the Storm. Do you know how many hybrids I installed in that thing?

I like it as is. Doesn't mean I don't want 2.1, just that I'm in no hurry.
    12-24-09 03:20 PM
    Ha you guys are lucky, I can't root my phone for 2.1, HTCs Sense UI would probably screw up. I got to wait for eclair
    12-24-09 03:26 PM
    I want Sense UI for my Droid damn't!

BTW, way random and off topic, but in my User CP, I don't have the option to change my phone/carrier etc
    12-24-09 03:28 PM
    I see what your saying exactly. I had the storm and that thing HAD to be Updated with leak this and hybrid that because it always left so much to be desired with its poor performance and blah OS. With the Droid, Out of the Box performance leaves nothing to be desired for me, does everything well and fast and Out of the Box, actually blew away my expectations, Unlike the Storm. I was fine with everything too untill i saw a video of 2.1 then i just gotta have it lol
    Last edited by krazykid6911; 12-24-09 at 03:49 PM.
    12-24-09 03:29 PM
    I'm waiting as well. Did the manual update to 2.0.1, but I can wait till the OTA update in mid-January(?) for the official 2.1
    12-24-09 03:29 PM
    I want Sense UI for my Droid damn't!
    Just loaded Home++ Beta on my Droid and am loving the additional screens (up to 7) and the Powerstrip feature at the bottom of the screen.
    12-24-09 03:32 PM
    I like it as is. Doesn't mean I don't want 2.1, just that I'm in no hurry.
    ^This. I'm just not pressed to change anything right now. This isn't how it was with the storm where we were rabid for any little update that might give us an incremental improvement. Once 2.1 is ready for release on the droid all the little bugs will be worked out and it will be optimized and we'll get a nice bump in performance and features. Until then I'm good with the home replacements and all my apps. This phone is good enough as is to be patient.
    12-24-09 03:53 PM
    I had no problems updating to 2.1 and did hold off a couple of days but just like I did with my storm I have to update every new build.
    12-24-09 04:00 PM
    For the ignorant like me, what are the extact steps from start to finish? Leave nothing out.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-24-09 04:00 PM
    For the ignorant like me, what are the extact steps from start to finish? Leave nothing out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/in...d-only-391407/
    12-24-09 04:13 PM
    Just loaded Home++ Beta on my Droid and am loving the additional screens (up to 7) and the Powerstrip feature at the bottom of the screen.
    I've had Home++ since the day I got it, and while it's cool (minus it slowing down the phone and random FC's), it's no Sense UI

BTW, way random and off topic, but in my User CP, I don't have the option to change my phone/carrier etc
    Anyone yet?
    12-24-09 04:30 PM
    I had to struggle to find it as well. Let me look and see what i can come up with.

Edit - ok, go to Quick Links right next to search, then edit your details, then scroll down and Edit the Info as needed. Wheres my cookie?
    12-24-09 04:32 PM
    wow WTF when did they move it over there? It always used to be in User CP! Thanks bro...consider your cookie eaten
    12-24-09 04:38 PM
    ^This. I'm just not pressed to change anything right now. This isn't how it was with the storm where we were rabid for any little update that might give us an incremental improvement. Once 2.1 is ready for release on the droid all the little bugs will be worked out and it will be optimized and we'll get a nice bump in performance and features. Until then I'm good with the home replacements and all my apps. This phone is good enough as is to be patient.
    Don't count on that. 2.1 is 2.1. As it is now, it will be on the release date. You won't see anything different. If there is a difference the release itself will actually change, like to 2.1.01.

Use to see a lot of that with the Storm too. People unwilling to update because they wanted the "final" version. If there are bugs on what people are running now you will see them, if it's released as such, in the 2.1 come the Jan. release date.

And really bugs are going to be found in every release. Don't ever expect to see a "perfect" update. That will probably never happen.
    12-24-09 04:40 PM
    haha im not sure when it was moved, just know it took me FOREVER to find it when i bought my droid, and no worries, I just had a DoubleStack!

I work in a call Center doing IP support and its dead today. Been here for 4 hours and taken 2 calls so just pounding food and Droidin away!
    12-24-09 04:42 PM
    Don't count on that. 2.1 is 2.1. As it is now, it will be on the release date. You won't see anything different. If there is a difference the release itself will actually change, like to 2.1.01.

Use to see a lot of that with the Storm too. People unwilling to update because they wanted the "final" version. If there are bugs on what people are running now you will see them, if it's released as such, in the 2.1 come the Jan. release date.

And really bugs are going to be found in every release. Don't ever expect to see a "perfect" update. That will probably never happen.

I think some of the bugs we have now will be worked out. I'm not an expert, but i know a lot of work had to be done to get the Nexus dump to work on the droid, so there has to be something Device specific in the Software. Im thinking 2.1 would be differently coded for each device due to the hardware. Like the no backlight on the keyboard bug, most likely since the nexus doesnt have a physical keyboard, there was no software in that verison of 2.1 to controll it.

So a verison of 2.1 coded specifically for the droid very well may perform better than the rom we have right now, and im better it will.
    12-24-09 04:44 PM
    I had to struggle to find it as well. Let me look and see what i can come up with.

Edit - ok, go to Quick Links right next to search, then edit your details, then scroll down and Edit the Info as needed. Wheres my cookie?
    wow WTF when did they move it over there? It always used to be in User CP! Thanks bro...consider your cookie eaten
    You can also click on your screen name at top right, where it says "welcome Xxxxxxxxx". Then click on About Me, then click on the little pencil next to what you want to edit.
    Last edited by xliderider; 12-24-09 at 06:17 PM.
    12-24-09 06:15 PM
    The 2.1 will in fact be device specific to the droid. How do I know? Well I'm running 2.1 right now and simple things like the keyboard backlight don't work. Also the app drawer in landscape is all glitched out. It also doesn't run as smooth as I thought it would but that could just be how it is in the final build. They really need to start making use of the gpu if they want iphone level fluidity. I just don't understand why they refuse to do so.

12-24-09 06:16 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD