I've been watching several Samsung Acclaims sell on ebay for a while. They always brought more than I was willing to spend. It's the phone I wanted last August but decided to go with my Curve because it was $100 dollars cheaper at the time.

Anyway I put in a low ball bid on one fully expecting to be instantly out bid but to my surprise I won. (I guess unexpectedly is a better world than accidentally)

My questions are about email. If I understand correctly, Gmail is pushed to Android phones not polled correct?

Also, how is html displayed? Are pictures better than on BB. Most of the time I choose to view html messages via the browser because pictures display better and animations work most of the time. Is this the case on Android too or does the inbox show html mail better?

That's all I can think of right now. I will probably have more questions once I get a chance to play with the phone. Any advice you might have is appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 09:48 AM
    gmail is push. Yahoo, hotmail via activesync and exchange accounts are also push. Various email apps will address each differently though.

HTML can be displayed very nicely compared to the BB with its compression

Hopefully you enjoy the new phone and playing around with it should be fun indeed
    01-17-11 09:55 AM
    Its not instant push like blackberry though. Android has a long ways to go with push email.
    01-17-11 09:58 AM
    Its not instant push like blackberry though. Android has a long ways to go with push email.
    how is gmail not push?
    01-17-11 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to taking the phone for a spin.

01-17-11 10:10 AM
    It is push. But every android phone Ive had or been around doesn't get the email right away. Sometimes a flood of email comes in all at once from the last few hours. With a BB, sometimes you get the email before its even in the gmail inbox.
    01-17-11 10:10 AM
    It is push. But every android phone Ive had or been around doesn't get the email right away. Sometimes a flood of email comes in all at once from the last few hours. With a BB, sometimes you get the email before its even in the gmail inbox.
    must be your devices/coverage, its a race between my berry and incredible to see which one gets gmail first. sometimes its the BB sometimes its the inc. I actually get my hotmail and work email isntantly on my Inc but there is upto a 15 minutes lag since BIS has to poll those accounts so they are not push on my BB
    01-17-11 10:15 AM
    WTF ninefall? where did you get the "not instant" part?

@OP gmail is fine, I don't like that other mailboxes are not push on Android, maybe they will fix it in the future. I like the true HTML email view inside the inbox. You will definitely appreciate richer internet experience.
    01-17-11 10:17 AM
    FYI Ninefall
    BB email is not INSTANT
    BB email 101

BIS checks the account when it is set up.
    BIS doesnt find email.
    BIS checks back in 15 minutes.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 15 minutes.
    and so on and so forth.

rinse and repeat.
    01-17-11 10:20 AM
    FYI Ninefall
    BB email is not INSTANT
    BB email 101
    We all know how BIS works, and it's as near to instant as you're ever gonna get on a phone

...but can you explain how 'push' works on an Android? Because Yahoo is far from instant on mine. Infact it's painfully slow compared to my BB.

01-17-11 10:39 AM
    We all know how BIS works, and it's as near to instant as you're ever gonna get on a phone

...but can you explain how 'push' works on an Android? Because Yahoo is far from instant on mine. Infact it's painfully slow compared to my BB.

yahoo has a mail app that you can use for instant email now i think
    01-17-11 10:58 AM
    This, or you can set up K9 with your Yahoo account, and it picks up fine. But I'm finding - for someone like me, it's a memory hog.
    01-17-11 11:15 AM
    That's what I'm using, and it's set to collect by 'push'... but it's still slow as!
    I just wondered how it works?

01-17-11 11:16 AM
    I use the Yahoo mail app.....it works great the way I have it set up. Glad Howermat posted.....now I don't have to as everything he said I would just repeat...email is fine on both a BB and Android.
    01-17-11 11:34 AM
    I'm simply just saying I get my email faster with Blackberry than I do with android. Even switched back to BB mostly because of that.
    01-17-11 11:36 AM
    I'm simply just saying I get my email faster with Blackberry than I do with android. Even switched back to BB mostly because of that.
    great....I get mine faster on a droid....wow, we both be chillin' now
    01-17-11 11:39 AM
    great....I get mine faster on a droid....wow, we both be chillin' now
    Any particular reason you're being an *******?
    01-17-11 11:40 AM
    Your wrong....that's all. We need correct information here so people can be informed. Most users on CB know how email works on Android and a BB. When someone says my email is "pushing faster" it is just incorrect. Gmail servers, Ymail, Hotmail, Corporate, whatever, they all push how the server pushes them. The next player is the network, and your data connection....I used to be a BB head and had a few devices. I now have Android. I wont **** a BB, but I certainly wont watch misinformation get spread either.

I said we were both chillin' (I though I was being nice) If you come bearing some hard evidence that "Push mail on my device is faulty" I will certainly listen. I have tested Android and BB side by side on this, and they both work. I know, unreal huh? (sarcasm) but it is true, and my BB was BIS so it was slower at times (my a minute) nothing that even constitutes a problem for a BB user on bis. Keep in mind BB users have all there email "re directed through Canadian servers" and this was what made BB so great. It could push everything to your device.

Nowadays, it is par, and iOS, Android, Win7 all push well too. I don't think it is worth getting upset about, and I am fine you "think" your BB has faster push email. Heck, I will even agree with you so you are satisfied and win this debate lol. But for the rest of us, and people trying to learn, placebos just don't make good frame work for arguments I think. OK, I am listening as to why BB is pushing better than my device, but I have gone rounds with this before, and it always ends up with encyclopedia links, and technology reads.....and then people find out BBs are actually a little slow to push because of the route their email must take. Lets not go there, just be happy that your BB works and pushes email for you.
    reeneebob, .cw54o and infamyx like this.
    01-17-11 11:58 AM
    Just food for thought (thin-skinned regarding this need not apply): Blackberry servers compress their data. Particularly, on the email front, they truncate it for BIS users. However, data on other platforms isn't compressed. Granted, you have to account for the amount of time required to compress items in question. One pushes things quicker because they shrink things to fit the pipe, the other can just shove it through. So, which one is faster? Or rather, which approach is more effective, or efficient?
    01-17-11 12:03 PM
    I don't plan on arguing at all. And you're right, maybe me saying it "pushed faster" was an incorrect term. However, when I had my Droid X, I consistently got my gmail later than my blackberry. Was it the device? Maybe. But my girl friend has the same issue with her Fascinate. Was it the gmail push bug and bad timing? Could be. Not getting my email instantly back in November cost me $1000 in a sale so I immediately switched back to my 8330. I'm a little bit bitter I guess.
    01-17-11 12:04 PM
    Did you use a task killer app? Those always interrupt data connections, and Juice defender does too, and some other apps. If you avoid those, there is no reason Google's OS won't push email fine. I read all the time about people using apps to save on this and that, and jack up the OS.
    01-17-11 12:08 PM
    Nope, Im anti task killer. I actually read up on things quite a bit. I like to mod stuff, but i never got to that point with my droid even having it for 4 months. There was a gmail push bug though, and maybe that contributed to the slowness of it. Sad really, other than the poor email delivery and the fact I cant type on a touchscreen, I really miss that phone.
    01-17-11 12:12 PM
    I have never had a poor email experience on Android. I have owned several devices for a couple of years. Oh well, good luck.
    01-17-11 12:17 PM
    Thanks. I plan to give android another shot. Maybe with the Thunderbolt. We'll see.
    01-17-11 12:27 PM
    Your wrong....that's all. We need correct information here so people can be informed. Most users on CB know how email works on Android and a BB. When someone says my email is "pushing faster" it is just incorrect. Gmail servers, Ymail, Hotmail, Corporate, whatever, they all push how the server pushes them. The next player is the network, and your data connection....I used to be a BB head and had a few devices. I now have Android. I wont **** a BB, but I certainly wont watch misinformation get spread either.

I said we were both chillin' (I though I was being nice) If you come bearing some hard evidence that "Push mail on my device is faulty" I will certainly listen. I have tested Android and BB side by side on this, and they both work. I know, unreal huh? (sarcasm) but it is true, and my BB was BIS so it was slower at times (my a minute) nothing that even constitutes a problem for a BB user on bis. Keep in mind BB users have all there email "re directed through Canadian servers" and this was what made BB so great. It could push everything to your device.

Nowadays, it is par, and iOS, Android, Win7 all push well too. I don't think it is worth getting upset about, and I am fine you "think" your BB has faster push email. Heck, I will even agree with you so you are satisfied and win this debate lol. But for the rest of us, and people trying to learn, placebos just don't make good frame work for arguments I think. OK, I am listening as to why BB is pushing better than my device, but I have gone rounds with this before, and it always ends up with encyclopedia links, and technology reads.....and then people find out BBs are actually a little slow to push because of the route their email must take. Lets not go there, just be happy that your BB works and pushes email for you.
    You are the voice of reason, that was a great post. I agree on the part of misinformation being given to those looking for the right answers. FYI all my email is pushed instantly. Push email is no longer Blackberrys one trick pony.
    Last edited by JD914; 01-17-11 at 12:54 PM.
    Johnly likes this.
    01-17-11 12:50 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD