Well folks see for yourself in the above video. The HTC Thunderbolt outperforms the Droid Bionic in tests. Is that possible? A super optimized and smooth 1 GHz single core processor phone out performing a 1st gen dual core processor phone? Possible early software build to blame on Droid Bionic?
    02-04-11 11:33 PM
    It's possible. Embedded processor architectures are slightly different than standard PC architectures. When it comes to compilation, it'll get really specific, along with ironing out many kinks. The guys at Cyanogen Mod are still using the default Droid Kernel for their Gingerbread ROMs for it. If they manage to get a more updated kernel, then it's likely things will be that much more optimized.

In the Linux world, you can put a package together, but it'll be vanilla. In order for things to be slimmed, and optimized, things need to be custom-compiled from source.
    02-04-11 11:50 PM
    i would assume its because the the software is not optimized on the bionic still. also quadrant scores dont always mean everything about a phone. The TB does have great scores though i will admit. I do however like reading all the reviews and BMX commenting on how the phone is amazingly fast and smooth. I think its a great purchase for anyone looking at the onslaught of great LTE android phones
    02-04-11 11:50 PM
    the phone isnt even on vzw website?
    02-05-11 12:26 AM
    i would assume its because the the software is not optimized on the bionic still. also quadrant scores dont always mean everything about a phone. The TB does have great scores though i will admit. I do however like reading all the reviews and BMX commenting on how the phone is amazingly fast and smooth. I think its a great purchase for anyone looking at the onslaught of great LTE android phones
    That's what it basically comes down to. Android 2.2 isn't optimized for dual core processors. To see any significant increases in performance were going to have to wait for honeycomb.
    02-05-11 07:39 AM
    the phone isnt even on vzw website?
    That's because the device on the video is a review model. You won't see it on Verizons website until its officially announced.
    02-05-11 07:41 AM
    ?????? How can the thunderbolt run both data and talk at the same time on 4g and 3g on verizon's network, but bb's the other androids, and iphone can not !
    02-05-11 08:33 AM
    That's what it basically comes down to. Android 2.2 isn't optimized for dual core processors. To see any significant increases in performance were going to have to wait for honeycomb.
    Which is not coded for handsets...
    02-05-11 08:50 AM
    ?????? How can the thunderbolt run both data and talk at the same time on 4g and 3g on verizon's network, but bb's the other androids, and iphone can not !
    Im not sure how all this works. Previously no CMDA phone was able to do this without wifi. if you are in a LTE network you should be able to do data on LTE and voice on the old network. The reports were indicating it could do everything on the 3G network though which is odd and i am not sure how.
    02-05-11 10:20 AM
    I would expect phones coming out this year to have better hardware. If Android is going to keep playing ball with Apple, then 1 core processors aren't the wave of the future lol. Put a Bionic and a TB side by side and run them on gingerbread. They will both scream. There are a lot of advantages of having duel core chips, and if you have ever owned a computer, you know them. Honeycomb is going to implement those chips, and mobile OSs will follow suit.

Having a dual core today isn't a big deal because the OS won't fully use it. Yes, the battery life will be great, games already exist that will use it, but over all, there won't be any difference that is off the charts compared to uni cores.

Have this discussion in 9 months and my gut tells me that the difference will be much more apparent then apparent then.

To me, the whole point of having premium chips in LTE phones is battery life. Not weather the OS actually taxes both paths. For a LTE phone to get a heavy day of use in for a business user, the DCC is the reason to get that setup over the UCC.

I don't have either phone, and I don't think I am going to worry about it as my X is suiting my needs just fine. If battery life is a concern, get a dual core. If it isn't a big deal, the single core chips are still great, and are still giving great performance on 3G.

Is one better? Yes, of course! Is it so much better that it will make the TB look bad? No, the TB is a sweet device. My penny.
    02-05-11 10:30 AM
    Im not sure how all this works. Previously no CMDA phone was able to do this without wifi. if you are in a LTE network you should be able to do data on LTE and voice on the old network. The reports were indicating it could do everything on the 3G network though which is odd and i am not sure how.
    Not sure either HM, but something hardware specific in the TB allows for it.
    02-05-11 10:31 AM

Well folks see for yourself in the above video. The HTC Thunderbolt outperforms the Droid Bionic in tests. Is that possible? A super optimized and smooth 1 GHz single core processor phone out performing a 1st gen dual core processor phone? Possible early software build to blame on Droid Bionic?
    That guy saying the TB is faster than the Bionic (doesn't have an official OS yet, roflmao) is like saying have a bigmac will make live longer. He is just excited. I think we all can have a laugh at that, First Gen dual cores? LOL! Do you know how long Nvidia has had these chips? There is nothing new about them, they have been around for years.
    02-05-11 10:34 AM
    That guy saying the TB is faster than the Bionic (doesn't have an official OS yet, roflmao) is like saying have a bigmac will make live longer. He is just excited. I think we all can have a laugh at that, First Gen dual cores? LOL! Do you know how long Nvidia has had these chips? There is nothing new about them, they have been around for years.
    I said 1st gen dual core processor phone. Which the Droid Bionic is one of those 1st gen phones. I never said it's a first gen dual core chip. So get your facts right Wolverine.
    02-05-11 12:02 PM
    Once the droid bionic is actually out with non review software .. the scores wont be close ... regardless of how optimized the thunderbolt maybe . As for doing both voice and data on 3g.. not possible... have to be on 4g coverage.
    02-05-11 12:39 PM
    It just hit me how he is saying that the TB can do data and voice ate the same time on vzw's network.... Its cause he is at home, and like the rest of us, we have the wifi turned on, and downloading a app or theme say from mobihand/crackberry, and we can still get a phone call or make one.... I would like him to try and say that in the woods on a tree stand or on the fishing boat... LOL
    02-05-11 05:13 PM
    The Thunderbolt is actually the first of its kind (in the US at least) to be able to utilize both voice & data over 3G on Verizon/ CDMA. Not WiFi. Its due to their new SVDO technology in the Thunderbolt. The WSJ had an article a bit back about its availability in first 1/2 of this year.

Verizon iPhone—There's a Catch - WSJ.com

A snipit from CDG (CDMA Development Group) about the technolgy:

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure."

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G Confirmed for HTC Thunderbolt | Android Phone Fans

Thanks to "Sam K" in the responses for the links.
    Last edited by dtboos; 02-05-11 at 09:33 PM.
    02-05-11 06:10 PM
    i was torn deciding between these 2 ..... But I will have to see it to believe it. not here say on 3g, cause 4g not near my area for a while ! but if it is tru, and iphone is not my thing.. I can always swap for the thunderbolt... with the trial period with VZW....
    02-05-11 07:39 PM
    I said 1st gen dual core processor phone. Which the Droid Bionic is one of those 1st gen phones. I never said it's a first gen dual core chip. So get your facts right Wolverine.
    Is it always this painful when someone adds info
    02-05-11 08:11 PM
    Is it always this painful when someone adds info
    I don't know about anyone else but to me all you did was add extra words. I'm not positive what the rest of the X-Men think though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 01:50 AM
    I'll be ready for duel core in a year or so. Right now, single core TB will be fine and I'm sure the speed will be great!

02-06-11 05:24 AM
    Personally, I'm sold on the Thunderbolt just from this vid. It looks so much more sleeker than the Bionic, which is a plus. Dual-core wont be that much of a deal breaker to me because I will be coming straight from a Blackberry. I'm sure this phone will be have plenty of speed even though it is dual-core-less. (I just made that word up)
    02-06-11 09:47 AM
    I don't know about anyone else but to me all you did was add extra words. I'm not positive what the rest of the X-Men think though.

So what is it? Adding words or facts not strait? Rol!
    02-06-11 11:51 AM
    If I was a verizon customer i would choose the Thunderbolt over the Bionic because Motorola locks bootloaders. The build quality is also superior, unibody aluminum body is definitely a plus. The Thunderbolt looks like an awesome device.
    02-06-11 12:27 PM
    The Thunderbolt is an option for me also. Can not wait to drop my bb. I have two concerns though. Battery life on a HTC device and not being in a 4g area.
    Last edited by jebulls; 02-06-11 at 01:01 PM.
    02-06-11 12:41 PM
    Lack of bootloaders, better build quality, and more timely updates along with SEVDO would drive my choice to the Thunderbolt if I were on Verizon. The one thing I miss about being on a GSM carrier is simultaneous voice and data.
    02-06-11 01:28 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD