After using plain vanilla android phones for the past 4 years (HTC G1, Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus), I ended up getting One S a couple of days ago and what the effing eff man?

Why does Google allow this? Why don't people protest against this? I know that for those people who've never used vanilla Android, they may not know any different, but for anyone who's ever used plain vanilla Android, they should be outraged. People need to riot against this.

On vanilla Android, it takes 3 taps to turn off data on the phone. HTC Sense, on the other hand, takes a dozen taps to turn it off, and even then the data still works?

And the keyboard? Wow, man, are you even serious? Wth is up with all those buttons, there are about 987 buttons on there and each button has multiple characters on it without tapping 123/ key. Why is there no plain Android keyboard available?

And all the bloatware, don't even get me started on that. Every BlackBerry ever released, when you combine the bloatware on them, it's still less bloatware than on that HTC One S. That thing has enough bloatware that if I tried to delete it, it would take me hours.

I can go on all day, but can you guys give me your opinion, maybe someone who's used Sense for much longer, or someone who's used sense after using vanilla Android, how did you get used to it?
    04-25-12 08:15 AM
    Vanilla Android FTW. I can't stand manufacturer skins and will never used a skinned device ever again. I will always make it vanilla if I can buy a Nexus on my carrier instead.

Sense is one of the more liked skins though. Like I said, I don't like any of the skins but I'm sure someone here can help you with the new Sense.
    04-25-12 08:57 AM
    ......What are you talking about, lol? A dozen taps to turn data off? Are you talking about airplane mode? All you do is long press the power button and select airplane mode.

I've found that the stock Sense keyboard is the most intuitive one I've used. I've tried a half dozen others and I always end up coming back to Sense. When I want a change I switch to either SwiftKey or Go Keyboard. There are SEVERAL keyboards available in the market, including the stock Android ones, so I don't know what you mean about no other keyboard being available.

Bloatware is up to the carrier's discretion, not Sense. Unless you count dozens upon dozens of widget options as "bloatware."
    04-25-12 09:02 AM
    ......What are you talking about, lol? A dozen taps to turn data off? Are you talking about airplane mode? All you do is long press the power button and select airplane mode.
    Just to turn data off, not airplane mode. Under settings, data, more, usage, mobile network, off/on, if you just want to turn data off, still be able to make phone calls and text messages but not data (email, browser, other apps).
    04-25-12 09:13 AM
    And the comparison to vanilla ICS is settings, data usage, mobile data on/off.
    04-25-12 09:18 AM
    And the comparison to vanilla ICS is settings, data usage, mobile data on/off.
    On mine, it's settings, mobile data on/off.

I know it's not exactly dozen taps (I exaggerated there), but still, there was no need to add those additional steps.
    Last edited by bigtime2; 04-25-12 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    04-25-12 09:25 AM
    Oh I see. On my Rezound with Sense 3.5 the process is settings - wireless & networks - uncheck the "mobile network" box.
    04-25-12 09:34 AM
    On mine, it's settings, mobile data on/off.

I know it's not exactly dozen taps (I exaggerated there), but still, there was no need to add those additional steps.
    On the One S? You can turn off mobile data right from the main settings screen? If so, that's faster than stock.

I'm running a ROM so it's even faster.

04-25-12 09:51 AM
    I think there's a learning curve when jumping from one UI to another. Even though Android phones run on the same OS, the manufacturer skins really have a lot to do with functionality and useability. I've been using Sense (or MySense) since November, 2010. Last April I got all excited for the G2x because it was going to be stock and the first dual core phone on T-Mo. The reviews looked promising. I HATED it. Even despite the fact it was riddled with bugs, I realized I had taken a lot of the Sense options for granted. I use the heck out of a lot of the Sense widgets. I love the way the Sense notifcation drawer has added functionality like showing your recently used apps (I've gotten into the habit of accessing them from there rather than long pressing menu) as well as the quick settings toggles.

A few weeks ago I switched from T-Mo to Verizon. I was nearly set on picking up the Razr Maxx. Then when I got to the store and started playing around on the device, I immediately started missing some of the Sense features. I ended up picking up the Rezound, which is turning out to be a better version of the phone I was previously using, the HTC Amaze.

Give Sense some time. Maybe check out some video walkthroughs. I know it's gotten a bad rap in the past for being such a heavy skin that it bogs down the phone, but phones with recent processors have been able to handle it almost flawlessly. I'm eager to give Sense 4.0 a spin, myself.
    04-25-12 10:33 AM
    I like SENSE.
    04-25-12 11:24 AM
    Sense is the best custom UI. Be glad you don't have to use the abominations known as TouchWiz and MotoBlur. But I agree, stock Android is the way to go.
    04-25-12 01:36 PM
    <insert phone on VZ> = tons of bloatware... At least you aren't on Verizon.
    04-25-12 04:03 PM
    Sense is the best custom UI. Be glad you don't have to use the abominations known as TouchWiz and MotoBlur. But I agree, stock Android is the way to go.
    I only tolerated Sense, when I ran it on my old Incredible. But, I found it monopolizing system resources. Also, I grew to like Vanilla, since my first Android phone was the Motorola Droid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by lssanjose; 04-25-12 at 07:19 PM.
    04-25-12 07:17 PM
    If you don't like sense, go download a different launcher. There are a few stock on the market. That or root the phone to get rid of the bloatware and install custom ROM'S.

Sense is easily IMO the best stock UI. Touchwiz and motoblur were and are horrendous!

I switch back from sense to go launcher as I am still stock, but gonna root my Amaze and install the new ICS leak and run with Apex launcher. Looks amazing!

Dam Penguin, you go through some phones!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-12 04:39 PM
    If you don't like sense, go download a different launcher. There are a few stock on the market. That or root the phone to get rid of the bloatware and install custom ROM'S.

Sense is easily IMO the best stock UI. Touchwiz and motoblur were and are horrendous!

I switch back from sense to go launcher as I am still stock, but gonna root my Amaze and install the new ICS leak and run with Apex launcher. Looks amazing!

Dam Penguin, you go through some phones!

Sense is the lesser of all the evils but still has been criticized by everyone from the professional reviewer, tech bloggers and average people. It's over done, on the verge of being bloatware and takes a toll on a devices memory. HTC heard all the criticism and have toned down the Sense on their new devices for this very reason. I quite frankly am shocked when people say they actually like sense and ask myself why? It brings absolutely nothing to the table. Anyone who has used a pure Google device will know why ALL manufacturer skins just suck.
    05-03-12 04:52 PM
    Sense is the lesser of all the evils but still has been criticized by everyone from the professional reviewer, tech bloggers and average people. It's over done, on the verge of being bloatware and takes a toll on a devices memory. HTC heard all the criticism and have toned down the Sense on their new devices for this very reason. I quite frankly am shocked when people say they actually like sense and ask myself why? It brings absolutely nothing to the table. Anyone who has used a pure Google device will know why ALL manufacturer skins just suck.
    Oh, so I guess because the Tech bloggers and everyone else says it sucks means it.....sucks? I didn't know we as people can't have a vast array of opinions on what we like.

I personally take bloggers with a grain of salt as they are generally biased.

Sense runs fine on my Amaze and is smooth. It does seem to be a resource hog, but has never crippled me.

I have no issues with it.

I will admit I haven't used a vanilla Android in awhile since the nexus one and it was a brief experience as it was a buddies and let me use it for a few weeks. It was a nice experience, but not to the point that I need vanilla.

05-03-12 05:02 PM
    HTC Sense is quite impressive and it's come a long way since they first released it on the HTC Hero.
    05-16-12 06:45 PM
    Sense > Vanilla.
    It only took 3 taps to turn the wireless signal on/off on my Evo.
    So idk what your talking about lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by antheauxny; 06-09-12 at 03:58 PM.
    06-08-12 03:50 PM
    I have to disagree with u pure android is wayyyy more better than sense dont get me wrong i like sense too and what ever play school ui lg is using is ugly lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-12 04:19 PM
    LG is definitely among the worst. Motorola's ICS skin is actually pretty nice.
    06-08-12 06:02 PM
    Yeah i tolorated motoblur on my moto citris on verizon but pure vanilla ics is the stuff

1.vanilla
    2.sense
    3.blur
    4.touchwiz

100.lg ui lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2
    06-08-12 06:21 PM
    I hate HTC sense. I love their phones though. I use Launcherpro on all my phones though.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    06-12-12 05:57 PM
    My top choices
    1. Plain
    2. Sense
    3. Motorola's ICS
    06-12-12 07:37 PM
    I hate HTC sense. I love their phones though. I use Launcherpro on all my phones though.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    Well hi there stranger . Have you ever tried Go Launcher?
    06-12-12 09:58 PM
    Well hi there stranger . Have you ever tried Go Launcher?
    I hate Go Launcher and can only use LauncherPro as well. The position of the garbage can has to be on the bottom. I know you can change the positions, but it's not the same. Everyone is different I guess.
    06-12-12 10:33 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD