I switched from a 9700 to a Desire HD in January and have been having a hard time with the battery ever since. The way I see it is: what is the point of having a large HD screen and all these extra features if your battery drains in the matter of hours if you use them? It doesn't make sense, they really need to invest in larger batterys for touch screen smartphones. I could get three full days with my 9700 with moderate usage. My DHD is nearly dead by the end of the day even if I barely touch it. If I am browsing and texting constantly, it dies within the matter of hours. If I put the brightness down all the way and don't automatically sync my data, it may last 1.5 days if Im lucky. But I don't see the point of having such a large screen if you can't even see it cause you are trying to preserve battery. I also like having my emails/notifications come to me right away and not keep having to push refresh.

Anyway, I will be wise and do some research on smartphones battery life for my next purchase. It might be a BB, but I have heard that it isnt very good on the new phones. I hate how each manufactorer has to sacrifice something, you can never have it all. I usually change phones once every year, but I might keep my DHD well into next year as well ( depends on when QNX phones come out).
    08-31-11 10:33 AM
    Battey life on androids has always been terrible. Even on the orginal android devices with the 600mhz processors. So don't give me the garbage about not comparing apples to apples. I expect to see the new BB devices to last much longer than a day with out hacking them. Most users aren't able to or interested in rooiting, and modding a device. Even the BB tablets have better battery life than their comparable android counterparts.
    My Android devices always lasted at least a day even without rooting. I had everything on full blast basically as well.

Honestly, it is hard to compare battery life. You are talking about full touchscreen devices that do everything by themselves. Then, the BBs, some are full touch, and all data is ran through RIMs NOC which helps to increase battery. That is one full extra step that makes a HUGE difference. Raw data consumption compared to encrypted data consumption.

Streaming Pandora all day with a BB will die just as fast as an Android device. My 9700 before I got rid of it had ****tier battery life than my OG Droid. Same goes for the 9000. Pandora doesn't run through the NOC so it is equal playing ground.
    08-31-11 10:43 AM
    Battey life on androids has always been terrible. Even on the orginal android devices with the 600mhz processors. So don't give me the garbage about not comparing apples to apples. I expect to see the new BB devices to last much longer than a day with out hacking them. Most users aren't able to or interested in rooiting, and modding a device. Even the BB tablets have better battery life than their comparable android counterparts.

When you toss in overall functionality, I'd take an Android device, as it does quite a bit more for me. My generation-old Android device still fits my needs better than RIM's newest flagship device.

So... even if we do concede that battery life is better on BB (and some Android users will contest that), it boils down to functionality. I believe it is an apples/oranges comparison, because both platforms do different things.

My old Samsung T309 got EXCELLENT battery life. I gave that up for something smarter with worse battery life. (8320). I simply did that again.

I do agree with you though: the vast majority of Android users don't root or hack, and I don't think they should have to.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 08-31-11 at 10:51 AM.
    08-31-11 10:48 AM
    I'm not going to sit here and debate about battery life. Out of the box, Androids are set for maximum everything..maximum brightness, maximum syncing etc. I can pretty much guarantee I could take anyone's stock Android phone and increase the battery life by minimum 25% without rooting or hacking..and probably double it WITH rooting/hacking. Each device i've owned I've been able to easily get a full day out of it..and that's with at least moderate usage (everyone's definition of useage is different).

And i've read numerous threads on this very site about how to improve battery life (i've had the OG bb's, Storm, and Torch) so to say that no tricks or tips are needed on BB's isn't the case either. Judging from what i've seen of BB's attempts at touchscreen devices (Storm and Torch)..I stand by my statement..people are in for a world of disappointment if/when BB's release 4" phones. Will they still be better than Androids? Perhaps..but I can already see all the threads crying about no more 2 day battery life (especially since that's already the case with this latest batch)
    08-31-11 10:57 AM
    Yes, battery life isn't as good on my Thunderbolt as on my BlackBerry phones. But it hasn't been an issue. I charged my BlackBerry every night. Same with the Android. Both get me through a typical day.

I got an extended for extra use if traveling.

I imagine the full touchscreen BlackBerry phones will get similar battery life once they have all the functionality that an Android has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 04:39 PM
    My Sensation is stock, no root or roms and the battery life is still the best of any smartphone I've ever used. Not sure how those 2 ppl are getting bad battery life with it. You probably have defective batteries.
    08-31-11 07:52 PM
    Yesterday was the first day I had a chance to test battery life with the new OTA installed. The OTA made a huge difference to my battery. I made about 2 dozen phone calls, sent about the same txt messages, read off the kindle app for about 1 hour, listened to pandora for about 45 minutes, checked a bunch of emails, and check out a few web pages. After 13 hours off the charger I had 49% of my battery left. That is about 10-15% better than the MT4G would have done. So needless to say I am now happy with the battery life of this phone.

If you check out my other posts I wasn't condmening the phone before the OTA. I said from previous experience battery life doesn't stablize untill about 1 month of owning the device.
    09-01-11 09:02 AM
    I really haven't noticed a huge difference in battery life post OTA, but it's still better than the other Android devices I had used. And the OTA has fixed many of the bugs that I had problems with, so I'm very happy. The only problem I'm still having problem with is getting the phone to focus on close-up shots. Other than that, I'm VERY happy with the phone.
    09-01-11 12:25 PM
    I agree about the battery life. It is better than the LG Revolution I tried for a week and a little than my old iPhone 3GS I had. Glad I made the switch.
    09-03-11 08:41 PM
    I suppose it depends on your definition of "terrible." If you mean less than a Blackberry, then yes it is terrible. But you can't expect to have the same battery life as the small-screened BBs from phones with up to 4.52" screen sizes.

For myself, the definition of great battery life would be lasting through an entire day, since I have no reason not to charge my phone while I sleep. Not all Androids can do this, but some like my Nexus S have no problem. And that is stock - rooted and modded, you can get two days out of it.
    09-04-11 11:22 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD