Short question:

Do any of the HTC phones let you have access to google maps, and actually let you use it, without the aid of a data plan?

I heard on the street that you can use google maps for free on an HTC phone, but you can't always trust thing that you hear on the street.
    05-25-10 01:48 PM
    I think the data plans are required to retrieve the maps. I know this has been said before, but a smartphone like these HTC's would be pretty crippled without a data plan. I guess it would be possible to use the WiFi only but I don't know that.
    05-25-10 01:54 PM
    You have to have a data plan to access.......data. Google maps is live GPS on the droid operating system, why would you even think you could access it without a data plan?
    05-25-10 01:55 PM
    You have to have a data plan to access.......data. Google maps is live GPS on the droid operating system, why would you even think you could access it without a data plan?
    Out of hope.
    05-25-10 01:57 PM
    Surely Nokia can't be the only set of phones where maps are pre-installed.

Does anyone know of a cell phone where maps are pre-installed, or are free to use, without a data plan?

There must be at least one.
    05-25-10 02:06 PM
    I'm thinking, if any phone will have it, will be any phone running Windows Mobile.

With the android phones, the maps are updated via the network (so you know you're traveling on the right path) while the navigation is powered by the GPS built into the phone.

A data plan is ESSENTIAL...
    05-25-10 02:48 PM
    Maps preinstalled?

I think you are getting confused... i'll help you out:

gps maps can be installed ie: the whole map is on the phone eg: garmin.

gps maps can also be downloaded on demand as with google maps.

advantage of google maps is that it does not consume so much storage space. Disadvantage is that you need an active data connection and is expensive for pay as you go or international roaming.

hope this helps
    05-25-10 07:13 PM
    if you like you can go to the android market place and buy gps software with the maps preinstalled... that way you won't need your data plan...
    05-25-10 07:16 PM
    I'm thinking, if any phone will have it, will be any phone running Windows Mobile.

With the android phones, the maps are updated via the network (so you know you're traveling on the right path) while the navigation is powered by the GPS built into the phone.

A data plan is ESSENTIAL...
    The Nokia 6210 Navigator would suggest differently.

I never once had a data plan with that phone and yet the maps, as well as the turn by turn voice navigation, were wonderful.

Surely there must be a new incarnation. I find it difficult to believe that everyone who uses gps/maps has a data plan.
    05-25-10 07:25 PM
    if you like you can go to the android market place and buy gps software with the maps preinstalled... that way you won't need your data plan...
    Where would I do that?

Potential stupid question, but I'm new with all this Android thing.
    05-25-10 07:39 PM
    The Nokia 6210 Navigator would suggest differently.

I never once had a data plan with that phone and yet the maps, as well as the turn by turn voice navigation, were wonderful.

Surely there must be a new incarnation. I find it difficult to believe that everyone who uses gps/maps has a data plan.
    Isn't data required for any smartphone now a days?
    05-25-10 11:06 PM
    Isn't data required for any smartphone now a days?
    I owned a BlackBerry storm 2 9520 (Briefly) and I could use wifi and pretty much everything else I needed, with the rare exeption of the map/gps thing, so no, apaprently data isn't required for any smartphone nowadays.

Plus I've been doing my own research, software like Copilot Live 8, ect, can let you use it without aid of a data plan. It doesn't let you know about the weather and the traffic, but I'm not blind, and I have all all 5 senses.
    05-26-10 12:38 PM
    I owned a BlackBerry storm 2 9520 (Briefly) and I could use wifi and pretty much everything else I needed, with the rare exeption of the map/gps thing, so no, apaprently data isn't required for any smartphone nowadays.

Plus I've been doing my own research, software like Copilot Live 8, ect, can let you use it without aid of a data plan. It doesn't let you know about the weather and the traffic, but I'm not blind, and I have all all 5 senses.
    What I meant was aren't data plans required for pretty much all smarthphones now?
    05-26-10 03:01 PM
    What I meant was aren't data plans required for pretty much all smarthphones now?
    Not really. As I said, I owned a Blackberry and I was able to do pretty much everything that a person with a data plan was able to do.

The map/gps thing is a thorn in my rear, but it's only temporary. I'm sure i'll be able to work my way around it.

Nice avator.
    05-26-10 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD