HTC hasn't been doing well lately and I'm not trying to make this thread a HTC vs BlackBerry, Android vs BlackBerry thing. HTC has been on a huge decline ever since the M9 launched. The M9 just wasn't all that compelling over the M8 and the camera isn't close to others on the market. They've launched 13 phones since the beginning of this year which isn't the best option either for them. I read where they had a CEO switch months ago plus they just announced their earnings are going to be down more than expected. Lastly, they've cut shipments by 30% of the M9.

So you're probably wondering why I posted this. Will we've all seen BlackBerry go down hill awhile back but thanks to John Chen, we've managed to climb the hill and make it better. What do you think HTC could do to better themselves and what's your opinions, thoughts, ideas on HTC currently and in the future?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:26 PM
    Hire Chen after he's finished with BBRY, ah... forgot, that will be his last gig, right?

:-)

Realistically, what can you do in the Android world apart from custom skinning, and bumping up specs like everyone else does?

Yeah, Blackphone adds security and removes Google stuff, but they're a niche market. I'm sure a hardened Android phone by BlackBerry will not be the success that some are hoping and trumpeting it could be...

For HTC, are they going the way of the SONY...? No more laptops, no more phones? They don't seem to have a chance. They must fight in mobile or die. Can they differentiate by bringing out updates faster? Mmmhhh, that needs resources. Camera? They've tried that. Spend more money on advertising and in-store kickbacks? Samsung and Apple will always outgun them...

�   Queen's Birthday weekend - it's over!...   �
    thymaster likes this.
    06-08-15 09:41 PM
    Hire Chen after he's finished with BBRY, ah... forgot, that will be his last gig, right?

:-)

Realistically, what can you do in the Android world apart from custom skinning, and bumping up specs like everyone else does?

Yeah, Blackphone adds security and removes Google stuff, but they're a niche market. I'm sure a hardened Android phone by BlackBerry will not be the success that some are hoping and trumpeting it could be...

For HTC, are they going the way of the SONY...? No more laptops, no more phones? They don't seem to have a chance. They must fight in mobile or die. Can they differentiate by bringing out updates faster? Mmmhhh, that needs resources. Camera? They've tried that. Spend more money on advertising and in-store kickbacks? Samsung and Apple will always outgun them...

�   Queen's Birthday weekend - it's over!...   �
    Haha, Chen would be good for them after BlackBerry but this is more than likely his last job. That's what I said last year, too many Android OEM's trying to fight for the same thing, it just won't work out and sadly, it'll just get worse. I could see them coming back but only under 2 conditions.

1. They make a beast phone with something truly innovative.
    2. Their HTC Vive is amazing and everyone runs out to get one but I see Hololens winning currently for VR.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 09:51 PM
    The vive is pretty amazing from what I've heard, but the general public is not ready for VR yet.

HTC recycled the m7 design too many times .They killed the brand by making every phone in its line up a m7 clone.

The snapdragon 810 fiasco is beyond their control. Quolcomm owes them big time. I would demand big discounts for the 820.

HTC has never had good cameras. For whatever reason they have always been playing catch up to everyone else.

The big difference between BlackBerry and htc is htc always just one phone away from being back the same can't be said for BlackBerry. Htc return is linked to their hardware BlackBerry's to their software. No matter how great future BlackBerry phones are until BlackBerry gets the app situation figured out phones are dead on arrival.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 11:17 PM
    I really, really wanted to like the M7, M8, and M9 phones, and really considered the M9, but the camera is still not up to par, and people have been complaining (loudly!) about the camera for years, and any company with a brain would have found a way to give the people what they wanted. Yes, the 810 issue is a problem, but that wasn't really HTC's fault - Qualcomm messed up on that one. But the camera is all on HTC, and they knew better. If the M9 had a Galaxy or G3/G4-quality camera, it would be THE flagship Android phone. Unfortunately, either the leadership there simply isn't listening, or they've found themselves in a market position where they're too marginalized to be able to get the parts and developers that they need to get great cameras (hardware and software) in their phones.

Which is why my next phone is likely to be an LG G4. The only thing the G4 lacks is the excellent speakers of the M9.

But, yes, I do think that, like BB, this is an example of the company's leadership not listening to the market and being punished by that market for not doing so. If you have competition that IS delivering what the market wants, and you aren't, your sales will suffer for it. Palm, Moto, BB, Nokia, and HTC have all felt that pain. Moto by themselves didn't learn either - it took Google to get things straightened out for them, and who knows if they'll maintain their success now that Lenovo owns them. Palm and Nokia failed completely, and BB and HTC are suffering mightily, though HTC could still turn it around if they got their cameras straightened out for the M10 (I'm not betting on it, though - their track record is too bad).
    armanatron likes this.
    06-08-15 11:41 PM
    This thread belongs on Android Central.

Z30-simply the best touch screen BlackBerry
    06-09-15 12:12 AM
    Idk, lg phones are struggling too. But its just a lack of advertising. Samsung and apple just dominate advertising.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 12:14 AM
    This thread belongs on Android Central.

Z30-simply the best touch screen BlackBerry
    I can make this on Android Central if you want me too. I figured since their going down the path BlackBerry has been on, why not ask BlackBerry members and others what they think about HTC and what's best for them.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 12:28 AM
    The problem with HTC is one Samsung ran into but didn't really face the consequences of in full effect. If you release a phone that looks identical to the previous one ( and in this case the previous previous one) , no matter how nice it may be, it'll be associated by the general public as old and outdated.

There are bizarre exceptions, notably iPhones, but that's a different scenario all together. Of course we all know how this lack of change (more than just hardware for them) affected BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 01:11 AM
    Sadly, HTC smartphone business may be done in the near future. They really weren't in a position to drop the ball. It's too competitive on the Android side.
    06-09-15 02:34 AM
    HTC used to be top of the Android heap before Samsung climbed the peak. In recent years they've had the same problem as BB, can't market or execute worth crap. They had one more chance with the M7, which was a distinctive phone when it was introduced but they couldn't fill demand and only Apple can make customers wait weeks to get product and get away with it.
    anon(7808135) likes this.
    06-09-15 02:49 AM
    HTC hasn't been doing well lately and I'm not trying to make this thread a HTC vs BlackBerry, Android vs BlackBerry thing. HTC has been on a huge decline ever since the M9 launched. The M9 just wasn't all that compelling over the M8 and the camera isn't close to others on the market. They've launched 13 phones since the beginning of this year which isn't the best option either for them. I read where they had a CEO switch months ago plus they just announced their earnings are going to be down more than expected. Lastly, they've cut shipments by 30% of the M9.

So you're probably wondering why I posted this. Will we've all seen BlackBerry go down hill awhile back but thanks to John Chen, we've managed to climb the hill and make it better. What do you think HTC could do to better themselves and what's your opinions, thoughts, ideas on HTC currently and in the future?

Posted via CB10
    I really like my HTC One M8.
    It's easily the best Android I have ever seen, in terms of build quality and materials (pre S6 Edge release).

But... The longer I have it, the less I can bear Android.
    It's correct that HTC should have upped the specs according to their competitors, but at the same time, they would have lost me as a customer anyhow, simply because they use Android.
    I was pretty impressed with what Android had become since the OG Droid, but it's simply not enough for me.

My next phone will therefore be an iPhone.
    I don't know how many people are in a similar position, to simply dislike Android, but people like me are basically lost sales forever.
    Those who got burned on the hardware (and can bear Android), probably have a different issue all together.

I also do not know what HTC could do to remedy the situation. Yeah they could adopt BB10, but the moment they announce that, they might just as well exit the market all together.
    They were THE premium manufacturer in terms of build quality for the Android market, and that wasn't enough.
    Given that this was their only meaningful USP (and a very rare one in the Android realm) I really have no idea how to solve their problem...

Maybe tough it out, and wait for some ultra mobile X86 processors to have a real W10 phone?
    06-09-15 03:54 AM
    Well this was inedibly going to happen. HTC knew they were fighting in a ring of deadly Android killers. Eventually Sony will be next then LG and then Samsung. The Chinese phone makers will rise and take over Android. Heck the Chinese might as well buy Google when Samsung fails in the Android market as well.
    06-09-15 05:02 AM
    Well this was inedibly going to happen. HTC knew they were fighting in a ring of deadly Android killers. Eventually Sony will be next then LG and then Samsung. The Chinese phone makers will rise and take over Android. Heck the Chinese might as well buy Google when Samsung fails in the Android market as well.
    There will always be a high-end luxury smartphone producer in the Android space and it won't be a Chinese one. Now you can decide if it will be Samsung or LG, but absolutely ever important metric we have, indicates that it will become Samsung.
    06-09-15 07:05 AM
    I really, really wanted to like the M7, M8, and M9 phones, and really considered the M9, but the camera is still not up to par, and people have been complaining (loudly!) about the camera for years, and any company with a brain would have found a way to give the people what they wanted. Yes, the 810 issue is a problem, but that wasn't really HTC's fault - Qualcomm messed up on that one. But the camera is all on HTC, and they knew better. If the M9 had a Galaxy or G3/G4-quality camera, it would be THE flagship Android phone. Unfortunately, either the leadership there simply isn't listening, or they've found themselves in a market position where they're too marginalized to be able to get the parts and developers that they need to get great cameras (hardware and software) in their phones.

Which is why my next phone is likely to be an LG G4. The only thing the G4 lacks is the excellent speakers of the M9.

But, yes, I do think that, like BB, this is an example of the company's leadership not listening to the market and being punished by that market for not doing so. If you have competition that IS delivering what the market wants, and you aren't, your sales will suffer for it. Palm, Moto, BB, Nokia, and HTC have all felt that pain. Moto by themselves didn't learn either - it took Google to get things straightened out for them, and who knows if they'll maintain their success now that Lenovo owns them. Palm and Nokia failed completely, and BB and HTC are suffering mightily, though HTC could still turn it around if they got their cameras straightened out for the M10 (I'm not betting on it, though - their track record is too bad).
    I saw a new LG G4 commercial and it reminded me of BlackBerry back in the day. All they did was show them making the back of the phone, cutting leather and stitching it.. But it just reminded me so much of the old BlackBerry quality.

Not sure if the actual phone lives up to the ad but it did make me take notice.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    06-09-15 07:11 AM
    The difference between BB and Android OEM is there are still differentiation for BB while HTC has none. I have a G3 and the camera is not great. I don't know what the G4 can do but the commercials seems to suggest they beefed that portion up.
    So based on what everyone is saying here M8 is the best bet and there is no point in getting an M9?
    06-09-15 07:19 AM
    The difference between BB and Android OEM is there are still differentiation for BB while HTC has none. I have a G3 and the camera is not great. I don't know what the G4 can do but the commercials seems to suggest they beefed that portion up.
    So based on what everyone is saying here M8 is the best bet and there is no point in getting an M9?
    The M9 is such a minor upgrade that you might as well stay with/buy an M8.

I am not sure what you mean with differentiaton.
    Given BlackBerry's sales, I'd say that BB10 and the app situation are both negative differentiators and that BlackBerry is in a worse condition than HTC (in terms of the handset business being successful).
    06-09-15 07:30 AM
    I meant at least BB has PKB and while apps sucks, BB10 is a differentiator. HTC has nothing Samsung and LG and the hundreds of Chinese OEM can't do running the same OS.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-09-15 07:44 AM
    HTC's mistake was they forgot they are not Apple. The M9 is only an incremental improvement over the M8, the M9 should have had a QHD and or AMOLED display larger battery and a kick *** camera like the S6. My brother has the M8 and has no intention of upgrading to the M9 because he feels the camera on the M8 is better than the M9 lol.

Loving my Passport!
    Cynycl likes this.
    06-09-15 08:26 AM
    There will always be a high-end luxury smartphone producer in the Android space and it won't be a Chinese one. Now you can decide if it will be Samsung or LG, but absolutely ever important metric we have, indicates that it will become Samsung.
    I'm betting more on LG in the future.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 04:31 PM
    HTC's mistake was they forgot they are not Apple. The M9 is only an incremental improvement over the M8, the M9 should have had a QHD and or AMOLED display larger battery and a kick *** camera like the S6. My brother has the M8 and has no intention of upgrading to the M9 because he feels the camera on the M8 is better than the M9 lol.

Loving my Passport!
    My M8 has been a great phone. No issues at all. There wasn't any need or particular benefit to upgrading to the M9. I expect lots of M8 owners feel this way and sales of the M9 won't be good at all.
    06-09-15 05:44 PM