Been waiting on the Blackberry Tour 2/Bold for months now. However, giving some serious thought to the HTC Incredible. Anyone else considering the same and if so, how do these two stack up?
    03-29-10 09:40 PM
    Completely different specs on each phone - and depends on what you are looking for in a phone. Blackberry's advantages over Android's OS + HTC's phones: BBM, superior push e-mail integration, awesome physical keyboards, and if you're in need of security.
    If you don't have enough friends who use BBM, you can throw that out (plus gTalk I hear is a great replacement anyway). If you aren't on a BES or need a 100% awesome secure phone, throw that out. If you use gmail as your primary e-mail address, it's pushed just like BB e-mail anyway, so throw that out (and other e-mails are pulled at convenient intervals, as fast as 5 mins I hear). So throw that one out. If you don't mind virtual 'soft' keyboards, throw that out.

And your BB is now left with no real advantage over the higher-end Android devices such as the Incredible when it comes out, in my opinion. However, if that other stuff IS important to you, then you have a decision to make.
    03-29-10 09:55 PM
    Oh, the Tour2 hands down the w1nn@r. It has WIFI and a trackpad. That is way better then what the original Tour had. The Incredible has nothing on it...
    03-29-10 10:16 PM
    Lord please anything blackberry is like like driving a bettle vs a Porsche. ..... zero comparison

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 11:09 PM
    Oh, the Tour2 hands down the w1nn@r. It has WIFI and a trackpad. That is way better then what the original Tour had. The Incredible has nothing on it...
    I hope that is sarcasm lol.
    03-30-10 12:17 AM
    Meaning BB is the Beetle or the Porsche?

Lord please anything blackberry is like like driving a bettle vs a Porsche. ..... zero comparison

03-30-10 06:05 AM
    Are the Evo and Incredible the same? Evo being Sprints version and the Incredible going to Verizon?
    03-30-10 08:38 AM
    the evo and the incredible are not the same thing. evo has bigger screen, front facing camera, and 4g support.

the incredible is basically like the nexus but with an optical trackpad, a better camera, sense ui, and more internal storage.

the evo, incredible, and nexus all have the 1ghz snapdragon processor, which is a good thing.
    03-30-10 09:45 AM
    The Tour is an excellent BB phone. Very few complaints on that phone. It's small hi-res screen and excellent physical keyboard versus big screen and touchscreen keyboard. That's the main difference right there. The android browser is better than the BB browser too.
    03-30-10 01:11 PM
    The Tour is an excellent BB phone. Very few complaints on that phone. It's small hi-res screen and excellent physical keyboard versus big screen and touchscreen keyboard. That's the main difference right there. The android browser is better than the BB browser too.
    Perhaps you've overlooked the trackball issues that are still plaguing even current Tour owners after several replacements. It's anything but...
    03-30-10 02:50 PM
    HTC Incredible FTW!
    03-30-10 06:51 PM
    Can you elaborate besides the obvious of touchscreen to keyboard?

HTC Incredible FTW!
    03-30-10 06:54 PM
    Tour owner here since day one and agree....I still have trackball problems

03-30-10 08:47 PM
    Can you elaborate besides the obvious of touchscreen to keyboard?
    Well, look at it this way. The Tour2 (or whatever) experience won't be any different then what you have now. You'll be limited to the same apps, same email support, same Blackberry everything... So, if you're looking for a change, you won't find it with the Tour2. The hardware will be slightly different, but the experience will be the same old Blackberry one you've had before. Only you can decide what you want from a new phone and the money spent on it.
    03-30-10 08:47 PM
    There is not even a competition here.

03-30-10 08:57 PM
    Good point! The HTC Incredible is sounding better and better.

Well, look at it this way. The Tour2 (or whatever) experience won't be any different then what you have now. You'll be limited to the same apps, same email support, same Blackberry everything... So, if you're looking for a change, you won't find it with the Tour2. The hardware will be slightly different, but the experience will be the same old Blackberry one you've had before. Only you can decide what you want from a new phone and the money spent on it.
    03-30-10 09:19 PM
    Good point! The HTC Incredible is sounding better and better.
    I guess you'll have to change your name. How does "incredibleboy" sound?
    03-30-10 10:15 PM
    Sounds good to me

So who else is considering the Incredible over the Tour 2? Any Cons/Pitfalls of the Incredible?

I guess you'll have to change your name. How does "incredibleboy" sound?
    03-31-10 02:52 PM
    Sounds good to me

So who else is considering the Incredible over the Tour 2? Any Cons/Pitfalls of the Incredible?
    We're looking at getting an Incredible for my wife, who currently uses a Curve -- I have a Tour.

Cons? Obviously you'll miss things that have to do with a physical keyboard (e.g. speed dial), and BBM. In addition, from what I understand, if you leave the phone "stock" there's no way to set the global font/font size.

Also, from what I've gathered there is no app like BerryBuzz that sets all the notification LED colors, although many apps seem to be able to set the color for the thing they deal with (i.e. IM apps can change the color for IMs).

The one thing I think I'd miss the most is almost trivial, but I really like how BBs capitalize letters if you keep the key held down. I can see how that would be difficult or impossible with a touch screen, though.

Here's a tip: if you're interested, Cyrket has a list of available Android apps, so you can check to see if your favorite BB apps have an Android version, or something similar.

edit: oh, and other stuff that I kind of assumed everyone already knew about. Things that affect all Android phones, like:

* AMOLED screens are supposedly very difficult to see in sunlight
    * no Bluetooth dialing
    * An almost, but not quite, integrated inbox (supposedly everything goes to one inbox, exceptGmail and Exchange mail).
    Last edited by Nofez; 04-01-10 at 07:46 AM.
    04-01-10 07:33 AM
    We're looking at getting an Incredible for my wife, who currently uses a Curve -- I have a Tour.

Cons? Obviously you'll miss things that have to do with a physical keyboard (e.g. speed dial), and BBM. In addition, from what I understand, if you leave the phone "stock" there's no way to set the global font/font size.

Also, from what I've gathered there is no app like BerryBuzz that sets all the notification LED colors, although many apps seem to be able to set the color for the thing they deal with (i.e. IM apps can change the color for IMs).

The one thing I think I'd miss the most is almost trivial, but I really like how BBs capitalize letters if you keep the key held down. I can see how that would be difficult or impossible with a touch screen, though.

Here's a tip: if you're interested, Cyrket has a list of available Android apps, so you can check to see if your favorite BB apps have an Android version, or something similar.

edit: oh, and other stuff that I kind of assumed everyone already knew about. Things that affect all Android phones, like:

* AMOLED screens are supposedly very difficult to see in sunlight
    * no Bluetooth dialing
    * An almost, but not quite, integrated inbox (supposedly everything goes to one inbox, exceptGmail and Exchange mail).
    It's not difficult or impossible at all. The Storm does it all day long. It has to do with dwell time on the key. For some reason (patented or not, dunno) other touchscreen phone makers haven't implemented this feature. I agree, that while trivial, this is a good feature to have and I even found myself trying to make it happen on an iPhone I was working with yesterday. lol I think touchscreen phone makers should really implement this feature as it is a great way to save a keystroke.
    04-01-10 10:51 AM
    It's not difficult or impossible at all. The Storm does it all day long. It has to do with dwell time on the key.
    You could base it on dwell time, but I have a feeling that capacitive touchscreens register keystrokes when you let go of a key for a good reason. Could be wrong.
    04-01-10 11:43 AM
    You could base it on dwell time, but I have a feeling that capacitive touchscreens register keystrokes when you let go of a key for a good reason. Could be wrong.
    It's a software issue, not a hardware/firmware thing. You can detect the time of depress and the time of release on a capacitive screen. If Release - Depress > a specified delta, put a capital version of the letter in the input area. Are there any third party soft keyboards that do this?
    04-01-10 01:10 PM
    It's a software issue, not a hardware/firmware thing. You can detect the time of depress and the time of release on a capacitive screen. If Release - Depress > a specified delta, put a capital version of the letter in the input area. Are there any third party soft keyboards that do this?
    So there's hope? That would definitely be a nice feature of typing on touchscreens.
    04-01-10 01:28 PM
    So there's hope? That would definitely be a nice feature of typing on touchscreens.
    WinMo had the long press for caps behavior, too. It seems that this is a design decision - they'd rather make international symbols more available than worry about taking one extra keypress away from capital letters.
    04-01-10 02:01 PM
    No offense, but if you don't have a phone with capacitive touch tech, you won't get this. The Storm has dwell time capabilities for things like special characters on the keyboard and it has a capacitive touch screen. This portion of the UI is not based on the click of the screen, it's strictly based on dwell time to bring up the special key popups so you can type in those characters. It's a matter of programming and not one of hardware. Like I said, it's either patent thing or simply something that the other companies never implemented because their type of typing is still based on the same you do on a PC. On a standard keyboard you'd need a key combo of Shift+Letter Key to register a CAPS. RIM has always been about UI/Input speed, so it stands to reason that they would come up with these kinds of speed increases. It's just a matter of time before the others try and implement it to speed things up (if it's not patented). It would definitely be an improvement to Android to do this, either natively or via a 3rd party keyboard developer.
    04-01-10 07:24 PM
178 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD