My husband got an HTC Hero a few weeks ago. (I'm staying faithful to my Curve )

Anyways, his battery drains crazy fast. He'll charge it all night, and by noon, it's almost dead. This is with what I would call a normal amount of usage, browsing, etc.

I read about the SMS problem leading to battery drain, and we installed Handcent, and uses that for texting now, but we are still having the same battery problem. He also does the app killer thing every hour or so in case something is running in the background. No luck with extending battery life that way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    12-11-09 10:51 AM
    Had an Eris (Same basic phone) what I did was use handcent make sure the default sms app is not getting notifications. Also turn off GPS, turn the brightness down, check the other apps to see what is getting notifications facebook etc.

Try this:
    if you have horrendous battery life it may be because your native sms app is preventing your phone from sleeping.

to check go to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom wake time. if it is 100% you more then likely have this bug

to fix it go into your messages app, menu>setting> and turn off notifications.

go to the android market and download handcent sms or chomp sms, and install. then pick a contact and press send sms, pick your new sms app as default, and send any message. then do a reboot.

once that is all done, power on your phone, let is sleep for a minute after reboot and go back to settings>about phone>status and at the bottom wake time. if it is around 50% or so the fix has worked and you should be able to charge faster and hold a charge longer.

Also what is the awake percentage?
    12-11-09 11:40 AM
    Make sure you get the latest update for the Hero. Im assuming its the Hero for Sprint, no? Go under settings and check the build #. If its updated it should be 1.56.651.2. That update fixes the awake time.
    12-11-09 01:00 PM
    Disable auto backlight, turn screen brightness down to 20% or so. This is almost standard on any touchscreen phone as the first step in improving battery life significantly. Turn GPS/WIFI off when not using them.
    12-11-09 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD