Yesterday I called T-Mobile to find out when my contract would expire, and after learning the contract only has a few weeks left, the rep asked my why I was inquiring. I told her I just wanted to know when I could start shopping new phones (from TMO and elsewhere), and she asked what I was looking for. I've been a BB owner for years, currently have the 9700 (wife just got 9900) and they are great, especially the wife's 9900, but I said I was also looking at the Android devices since I know any BBX phone won't be out until well into next year. She said well I can offer you a loyalty discount and get you a Amaze 4g for $28.19, and that's it. Other than batter life I knew the specs and reviews on this phone were pretty good, so I took the leap and should have the phone on Monday. I know there's the remorse period and I can send back if I don't like it, and if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't have taken. I'm a heavy business user (email accounts are gmail and a corporate google app account), and I'm just anxious to see what I'll do and what the experience will be. Any thoughts or input as to what I might expect coming from the BB platform?
    11-04-11 02:10 PM
    I am not with T-Mobile but I was a long time Blackberry user as well. I prefer Android over BB but it is personal preference. I love how you can customize . I get my email quickly. Google navigation voice is free. That's a plus. Everything android is great. Give it a chance. Takes getting used to but its easy. I don't know the phone you have but I prefer touchscreen to QWERTY keyboard.
    Welcome to Android. Check put Amdroidcentral.com.

And the Thunder rolls!
    11-04-11 06:34 PM
    All I can say is give it time and learn the ins and outs of Android. In time you'll find out how much better platform Android is over BBOS. The key is having patience and have the willingness to adapt. Enjoy your new Android device, I'm sure you'll like it.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-04-11 06:41 PM
    Android has a lot of cool features but there may be a few things such as clock mode and the LED you may miss. But once you get a couple apps for things like that you will find the OS has a better browser and knowing apps are actually available is huge. I love the apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 07:50 PM
    I am not with T-Mobile but I was a long time Blackberry user as well. I prefer Android over BB but it is personal preference. I love how you can customize . I get my email quickly. Google navigation voice is free. That's a plus. Everything android is great. Give it a chance. Takes getting used to but its easy. I don't know the phone you have but I prefer touchscreen to QWERTY keyboard.
    Welcome to Android. Check put Amdroidcentral.com.

And the Thunder rolls!
    How long did it take you to transition comfortably from QWERTY, to touch? I'll admit it took me real diving in, and working things slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-05-11 12:35 AM
    I adjusted very quickly. Not hard to transition. I also downloaded the smart pro keyboard. I like it better than stock. Calibration to your touch and use helps too.

And the Thunder rolls!
    11-05-11 03:10 AM
    Get the beautiful T989 device!

Dont forget: Tell or ask Tmobile retailer update your data from bb to Android before leave the store.

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 11-05-11 at 05:02 AM.
    11-05-11 04:59 AM
    Thanks everyone. I'll report back after I've had it for a couple of days. Unfortunately no TMO store near me. Like I said, my two accounts are google so the contact and calendar sync "should" not be an issue. I'm really hoping I'll be able to sync my secondary google app corp account calendar without a problem. I read where that was a problem on android devices initially.
    11-05-11 06:03 AM
    You should be able to sync just fine. I use my domais's email address on my phone and I can choose to sync the email, calendar, contacts, etc. or not.

11-05-11 07:37 AM
    ...there may be a few things such as clock mode and the LED you may miss...
    Most of the newer Motorola phones have both of these features. They use the notification LED for calls, email, text or other social messaging. When you place them in their dock (either multimedia or simple charging dock) you can choose what 'mode' to put them into -- choose a widget (eg. weather) to display, or clock mode, etc. If you have several docks then you can have a different default mode for each dock (the phone remembers which dock is which) -- eg. clock mode when on your nightstand, and weather mode when on your desk at work.
    11-06-11 11:01 AM
    There is a LED but BeBuzz is more customizable than anything I have found.

11-06-11 09:52 PM
    Light Flow for Android phones has many, if not all, of the same features -- customize LED colour for contacts, SMS, email, MMS, various app notifications (eg. facebook, twitter), etc.
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-12-11 12:08 AM
    Great choice . If you ever run into a snag with the Amaze or find something you THINK you can't do, let me know. My bit of advice: Widgets will become your new best friend. Here is my calendar widget:

You can scroll through your entries right there on one of your home screens. Say I wanted to edit my haircut entry. I just tap it and it takes me right to the entry within the calendar app.

Here is my email widget:

Again, I can scroll through entries and open individual ones. Need to compose an email quickly? Just tap that pen button on the bottom.

Don't like the looks of the widgets? They're totally customizable too. I can't imagine owning a phone without Sense because the widgets are just too darn great.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-13-11 08:05 AM
    Don't like the looks of the widgets? They're totally customizable too. I can't imagine owning a phone without Sense because the widgets are just too darn great.
    Is that why you switched from the SGSII?
    11-13-11 01:40 PM
    Is that why you switched from the SGSII?
    That, and the phone was just too darn big and I couldn't get over the low res screen. Plus I dislike how samoled makes whites blue.
    11-13-11 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD