The more I hear of the upcoming HTC Vision the more I'm convinced it will be my next phone. For those that came from BBs, how easy was the transition? What were the easiest and hardest aspects to get used to?

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 11:59 AM
    The media player was pretty terrible, having owned a bb and iphone before it was annoysome, but double twist is decent.

Facebook for android is subpar, luckily I get notifications thru email (gmail) and those are instantaneous. Exchange works well for me also.

Overall android has the worst notifications, but its passable. Web experience is Excellent! For some reason you can't stream some media from certain web pages that are made for iphone specifically which is annotations but it lets you download that media and watch it so its whatever (i downloaded some movies lol)

For myself the transition was smooth, I figured a lot out myself. Having total control over my device is something that I really like.
    07-03-10 12:53 PM
    The transition from a BlackBerry smartphone depends on your preferences and what services you use. If you use a lot if Google services like I do, then you will love the Android platform. There are no push notifications for apps like Facebook, but that wasn't something that I wanted anyway. You do get push gmail. And the html email comes through like your desktop. The browser is the best I have ever seen. I have an EVO and it is blazing fast. The typing in a virtual keyboard takes some getting used to, but in a week you should be able to adjust and may find that you like it better. I live the big screen. Multimedia is excellent. Battery life is nowhere near a BlackBerry device. It is definitely better than an iPhone. I like the app selection and there seems to be a lot more goodies coming in the near future. Also, I really appreciate the voice to text and the mobile hotspot functionality.

07-03-10 01:33 PM
    Overall android has the worst notifications, but its passable.
    See, I find Android to be excellent with notifications. Everything is instant and appears in one simple to access place. The iPhone BLOWS in comparison. And I do not find BBs better with it.
    07-03-10 01:41 PM
    See, I find Android to be excellent with notifications. Everything is instant and appears in one simple to access place. The iPhone BLOWS in comparison. And I do not find BBs better with it.
    *edit* He said overall....he is wrong lol. Android is top 2 notification with WebOS. BB is next, iphone far behind.
    Last edited by dtboos; 07-03-10 at 02:49 PM.
    07-03-10 02:41 PM
    I signed up for a smartphone workshop that my local Verizon store offers. Ive heard good things about it and I'm sure there is more to know.
    07-03-10 03:02 PM
    Switching to a virtual keyboard was the most difficult and that took 3 days tops to get used to.
    Try it for 30 days, you won't look back.
    07-03-10 06:24 PM
    *edit* He said overall....he is wrong lol. Android is top 2 notification with WebOS. BB is next, iphone far behind.
    Yea WebOS is nice with notifications as well.
    07-03-10 06:37 PM
    My biggest issue is definitely the battery life. Coming from the 9700, I have to get used to carrying my charger with me at all times. I also took a few days to master the keyboard. In the beginning I desperately missed my keyboard but now the touch screen keyboard is no big deal.
    07-03-10 07:39 PM
    I would agree with the battery life point, I do miss the BBM of course, but you learn to make due with out it.
    07-03-10 09:14 PM
    I got used to it pretty fast. It took me a week or so for the touch screen keyboard but with shape writer I can text faster than on a keyboard. You will get used to your phone.

07-03-10 10:26 PM
    I rely heavily on the notifications. For the most part gmail works perfect but it often lags by 30 seconds to a minute on some days and has to date already missed three emails one of which was extremely important and would have been my *** if I didnt check my email on the computer as well.

My exchange emails are on point and havent had any issues with them.

The new yahoo app has failed on a email delivery once already but ill let that slide since its fairly new. I've missed a couple of Twitter updates as well. Again not life threatening or the end of the world but that has been my experience.

While I like the notification bar much better than the iPhone or BB, id like to get ALL MY NOTIFICATIONS. That at the end of the day matters the most, and my EVO hasn't surpassed my old Bold in that aspect.

Until I can get Facebook notifications instantly to my phone (I'm willing to admit I'm a facebook *****), it will always rank lower than the BB in my book.

oh and I haven't said it before, let me say it now. Facebook for Android is terrible. Seriously even the BB worked better than this.
    07-04-10 01:28 AM
    I will be making this adaptation myself. After several years and 4 BlackBerry devices in a row, I just ordered a Nexus One and I can't wait for it to get here! I'm a bit nervous about the touchscreen as I LOVE the keyboard on my Bold, but I'll give Swype a good honest try.

As long as Facebook notifications can come through email, I couldn't care less about the app, and that's really the only negative point I've seen people give. The turn-by-turn navi in Google Maps and the car dock sealed the deal for me. I can't believe how many things I paid extra to make my Bold do that are just natively offered by Android, and I haven't even started to play with Android apps.

I'll keep an eye on the RIM camp as I've always thought BBs were better as straight up communication devices than the others, but the newer Android phones were just too cool to pass on this time around. I have my doubts as to whether BB OS 6 will even get it close to what Android devices are finally starting to look like and offer.
    07-04-10 04:27 AM
    agree completely about the notifications, BB does this so much better overall.

Email on BB works better IMO being all push. If you use Gmail you do get push, but the app lacks function. you can even copy/paste from the Gmail app.

Battery life isnt the best as mentioned. My storm 2 can probably last double of the Inc.
    07-04-10 05:42 AM
    Overall android has the worst notifications, but its passable. .
    My friend, the only difference between BB notifications and Android notifications is how you implement them. With a BB, it is ALL done in the Notifications Area. With android, it is done in settings within said app, e.g. the app, email, contact, text, whatever is open. It is exactly the same if you know your OS.
    07-04-10 07:02 AM
    PS, for those that think BB is ALL true push, I highly recommend visiting BB site/forums and looking up the matter I would also read this wiki article Push e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It has all the fine OS's listed in it about push, and BB BES pull then push

If you get an android device, get a Motorola if you want a great battery off the shelf with your phone
    07-04-10 07:09 AM
    I would agree with the battery life point, I do miss the BBM of course, but you learn to make due with out it.
    You won't miss it, besides Gtalk is a cross platform IM, and you can IM beyond your phone, on your desktop. IMO, way better, and it doesn't restrict your chat environment by requiring a pin# form both sides
    Last edited by johnly; 07-04-10 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling, lol happy 4th!
    07-04-10 07:14 AM
    You won't miss it, besides Gtalk is a cross platform IM, and you can IM beyond your phone, on your desktop. IMO, way better, and it doesn't restrict your chat environment by requiring a pin# form both sides
    +1. Even on a BlackBerry I've never understood why people prefer BBM to a chat client or simply using the nice, threaded SMS. Neither require the stupid PIN from both of you, and they don't restrict you to just other BB users. The Google apps look much better on Android so I'm sure I'll like Gtalk even more when my N1 gets here, but in all my years on all my BlackBerry devices, nobody's ever been able to explain the allure of BBM to me. But then, I feel exactly the same way about Facebook chat and we get a new thread pleading for that every week or so, so I guess I'm in the minority.
    07-04-10 07:34 AM
    +1. Even on a BlackBerry I've never understood why people prefer BBM to a chat client or simply using the nice, threaded SMS. Neither require the stupid PIN from both of you, and they don't restrict you to just other BB users. The Google apps look much better on Android so I'm sure I'll like Gtalk even more when my N1 gets here, but in all my years on all my BlackBerry devices, nobody's ever been able to explain the allure of BBM to me. But then, I feel exactly the same way about Facebook chat and we get a new thread pleading for that every week or so, so I guess I'm in the minority.
    BBM chat allows you to quickly send files back and forth along with the chat. Gtalk doesnt allow for this. I dont know how many times i would like to be able to just send a real quick picture instead of leaving the gtalk app firing up the camera then having to email that photo. meaning also there is a record of that transfer now too in your email along with the other person (not really and issue for me but just saying lol). The read, delivered etc notifications is nice also.
    07-04-10 08:16 AM
    +1 BBM just can't handle large chat rooms either IMO. It would crash on me all the time when we had 20+ people in. Besides, there are no file restriction types and size that you can attach in Gtalk unlike the restrictive Blackberry. Gtalk is way better! Anyone thinking G talk has no file attachment capabilities should read this Google Talk Now that is powerful IM.
    07-04-10 08:36 AM
    BBM chat allows you to quickly send files back and forth along with the chat. Gtalk doesnt allow for this. I dont know how many times i would like to be able to just send a real quick picture instead of leaving the gtalk app firing up the camera then having to email that photo. meaning also there is a record of that transfer now too in your email along with the other person (not really and issue for me but just saying lol). The read, delivered etc notifications is nice also.
    Here is a tutorial on how to share files (no size or type limits) in G Talk
    About transferring files - Google Talk Help
    It is a feature you may not know of yet, friend
    07-04-10 08:43 AM
    there are no file attachment options for gtalk on android....fail, you must not even use gtalk not to realize this
    07-04-10 08:43 AM
    rolf, matt you need some coffee, lol. First off, I said G talk, I didn't say it was available on android's app yet did I? lol! It will be soon though, if you read you geek news
    07-04-10 08:58 AM
    i know it will eventually. but its a bloody google phone and for a google based app to lack key features like that from the get go is stupid.
    07-04-10 09:03 AM
    PS, for those that think BB is ALL true push, I highly recommend visiting BB site/forums and looking up the matter I would also read this wiki article Push e-mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It has all the fine OS's listed in it about push, and BB BES pull then push

If you get an android device, get a Motorola if you want a great battery off the shelf with your phone
    BIS is polling and on a 15 min interval. The info is right on RIMs site.
    07-04-10 09:03 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD