Why a device like the shoals V. Hero?
    If I have the opportunity i will handle both, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth with HTC and their OS. I am aware that one HTC is using a droid OS but I could have swore I read its not true droid and still has limitations. I could be mistaken. Also, isnt HTC build quality less? I would rather have a phone that was made intended for droid then one that wasnt. Also isnt the screen and ability of the Sholes greater then the HTC? If I am wrong, please correct me.
    10-18-09 06:11 PM
    and this is why, i highly doubt you will ever see a storm v3

phones have caught up...if not android, then palm webos..and if not palm OS, then the iphone will come to verizon

Blackberry will continue to dominate the corporate world but as for smart phones, the storm 2 im betting will be the last edition
    10-18-09 06:16 PM
    Your right I think Storm2 will be the last single touch screen out of RIM... All there devices will have a touch screen (with real keyboards)....

BlackBerry is a great platform and with a little tweaking it can have the OpenGL games, and the Web Browser... Those are the only biggies. If they get those set you will all be wondering what will happen to Android and Palm.
    10-18-09 06:20 PM
    Your right I think Storm2 will be the last single touch screen out of RIM... All there devices will have a touch screen (with real keyboards)....

BlackBerry is a great platform and with a little tweaking it can have the OpenGL games, and the Web Browser... Those are the only biggies. If they get those set you will all be wondering what will happen to Android and Palm.
    Last storm , yes , last all touchscreen , ABSOLUTLY NOT lol .... they have more to come .. bigger and better.... you wont see RIM leave this market anytime soon
    10-18-09 06:21 PM
    Last storm , yes , last all touchscreen , ABSOLUTLY NOT lol .... they have more to come .. bigger and better.... you wont see RIM leave this market anytime soon

That "better" part you mention better include a rethink of their OS. Not just some tweak here and there and bug swatting, but a true REWRITE from the ground up.
    10-18-09 06:28 PM
    To avoid multiple clicks, we have QuickLaunch

Sorry, you don't get it. It's nothing to the do with themes. It's to do with the interface and how kludgy it is! Try opening a video on the Storm. THEN...tell me how many clicks it takes to completely shut down the Media application (HINT: it's way more than two!!). The UI needs more than a new "look"--it needs a better way to be controlled by the user, so as not to frustrate the average user so much. I'm no Apple fan, but good god man, you don't have to hit "confirm" on iPhone/touch when you make a change to a preference. The changes take effect instantly. No need to hit "back", "yes" like on the S1. Too many clicks! Get it?? The OS is click-happy.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 06:29 PM
    That "better" part you mention better include a rethink of their OS. Not just some tweak here and there and bug swatting, but a true REWRITE from the ground up.
    there will be a retweaked "OS" for their touchscreens soon
    10-18-09 06:30 PM
    well i like the blackberry os better than any other, i like the way its layed out it dont matter to me if its the fastest on the planet, remember slow and steady wins the race! anyways lol but i hear rim is working on a new touch screen/ physical key board phone. but there are a few new phones that im thing about like the lg bl40 anyone with any thoughts on that phone? should i stay with bb?
    10-18-09 06:32 PM
    Stop this they need a total rewrite bit. As a Software Engineer I am telling you it's not needed to get your desired result.
    10-18-09 06:32 PM
    Stop this they need a total rewrite bit. As a Software Engineer I am telling you it's not needed to get your desired result.
    agreed , refer to post 57 , maybe they listend to you !
    10-18-09 06:34 PM
    THANKS! Its so frakin annoying when people say that.
    10-18-09 06:36 PM
    I know I was seconding what you were saying. It's just frustrating as it's been a common theme today / this week.

My favorite is complaining that the problem is Java then in the same sentence extol the virtues of Android. Lol Android almost has the exact same Java programming interface!
    10-18-09 06:37 PM
    so i have to ask, any specifics? or hints? cuz now my interest is peaked!
    lol
    10-18-09 06:39 PM
    I know I was seconding what you were saying. It's just frustrating as it's been a common theme today / this week.

My favorite is complaining that the problem is Java then in the same sentence extol the virtues of Android. Lol Android almost has the exact same Java programming interface!
    LOL , true that , yeah it will exciting to see the same solid OS , just in a new , imporved way
    10-18-09 06:39 PM
    so i have to ask, any specifics? or hints? cuz now my interest is peaked!
    lol
    lol , nothing really , just expect the same RIM OS , retweaked to better itself,

and let me clear somthing up , i said touchscreen specific , and didnt mean to , it will be for all devices including qwerty .
    10-18-09 06:41 PM
    lol , nothing really , just expect the same RIM OS , retweaked to better itself,

and let me clear somthing up , i said touchscreen specific , and didnt mean to , it will be for all devices including qwerty .
    eh ok, nothing really special (sounding) then lol, and no worries bout the touchscreen specific part, we all slip up every now n then
    10-18-09 06:46 PM
    Agree. BB will be around for a while but I bet they lose MAJOR market share. The security will help it hold on to a lot of share but even there Exchange ActiveSync is starting to encroach.

At my company, they no longer force users onto BES. There are tons of folks with company paid iPhones and personal devices using Exchange/ActiveSync. From what I can tell, there is enough security to allow the company to feel comfortable that the information is secure. Us BlackBerry users are seen as dinosaurs.
    10-18-09 07:28 PM

When will it be available/rolled out? Will the current apps work on it?

Frankly, I think the app developers spend less time on BB than iPhone and if they have to learn yet another OS, it seems even less likely they will spend time working on the current OS.
    10-18-09 07:32 PM
    you may see a lotta ATT I phoners jump back to Verizon if the "Scholes" is the real deal .... So far it looks unreal...10K apps off the bat - WIFI , etc it looks like VZW FINALLY has a playa - playas ...
    10-18-09 07:36 PM

not only that. The omni2 runs java, and has 3d acceleration........
    10-18-09 07:44 PM
    sooks said it. You guys think that 5.0 is over. And think that what your seeing right now is what RIM calls a new UI. Trust me, its not.

I dont know how many different sources have hinted a new UI to me.

Besides isnt the biggest clue the hiring of the guy from apple and microsoft??/

geezus christ. In a bad economy like this do you really think RIM would pay for a high demand and expensive employee just to sit on his ***? Lets start thinking realisticly guys.

RIM and HP are working together too. HP is amazing at UI applications.

ALso, one of the upcoming phones, I think its the hybrid one that has a trackpad, touchscreen and physical keyboard. Its suppose to launch with a new user interface too.
    10-18-09 07:51 PM
    Very interesting guys. Maybe I should wait for the new year to spring for a new phone. But the S1 typing is a little annoying when I know an improved device is out there.
    10-18-09 08:18 PM
    the Blackberry OS is based on Java, Androids foundations are from Linux but uses Java language (so does BB) for progamming but it also has better libraries than the Blackberry does for programming, java is a pain in the *** already in my opinion, and RIM isnt making any friends either with their weak dev tools (plenty of devs ***** about this consistent fact, and RIM knows it and is trying to get new more friendly tools out) and their limiting APIs/UI elements.
    10-18-09 08:25 PM
    Agree. BB will be around for a while but I bet they lose MAJOR market share. The security will help it hold on to a lot of share but even there Exchange ActiveSync is starting to encroach.

At my company, they no longer force users onto BES. There are tons of folks with company paid iPhones and personal devices using Exchange/ActiveSync. From what I can tell, there is enough security to allow the company to feel comfortable that the information is secure. Us BlackBerry users are seen as dinosaurs.
    Yeah this isn't true if they are using any Iphone prior to 3gs. The older Iphones were lying to exchange saying they were encrypted when they were not. Now after the newest OS came out all the older devices revealed a flaw that they have never had the proper encryption are not encrypted and they have no plans to make them encrypted, so no the security is lacking unless you have a 3gs. There was a very substantial article about this and how a lot of IT managers fought hard to get the iPhone on their exchange and now they are getting in a lot of trouble over the lack of encryption.
    check out this article for the info7 myths about iPhone Exchange policies by InfoWorld: Yahoo! Tech
    10-18-09 08:37 PM
    Check out this article explaining where some of the problems developing apps for Android might be an issue in the future, and how Open source on the platform can be a lot harder for developers. There is a lot of relevant info, and shows some problems that may come up in the future for android as it continues to take off. I highly recommend reading it if you are truly interested in Android devices. A Chink In Android’s Armor
    10-18-09 08:51 PM
235 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD