Sorry, you don't get it. It's nothing to the do with themes. It's to do with the interface and how kludgy it is! Try opening a video on the Storm. THEN...tell me how many clicks it takes to completely shut down the Media application (HINT: it's way more than two!!). The UI needs more than a new "look"--it needs a better way to be controlled by the user, so as not to frustrate the average user so much. I'm no Apple fan, but good god man, you don't have to hit "confirm" on iPhone/touch when you make a change to a preference. The changes take effect instantly. No need to hit "back", "yes" like on the S1. Too many clicks! Get it?? The OS is click-happy.
    agreed but some of the reason you don't have multiple clicks and having to shut things down on BB is because multiple things can run in the background. Why would you have to shutdown apps when only one can run at a time. I guess I dont see why a few clicks is a big deal, now granted I dont have a storm I have a tour, but I still have to close things out the same way just use trackball instead of clicking.
    10-18-09 02:12 PM
    Some of these are good points, but there are still alot of question marks
    Yep, and its going to be unavoidable untill these devices are released. Most of this is speculation.
    10-18-09 02:15 PM
    agreed but some of the reason you don't have multiple clicks and having to shut things down on BB is because multiple things can run in the background. Why would you have to shutdown apps when only one can run at a time. I guess I dont see why a few clicks is a big deal, now granted I dont have a storm I have a tour, but I still have to close things out the same way just use trackball instead of clicking.
    oh, for the media player, it's a lot more than a "few clicks". Try it some time.
    10-18-09 02:18 PM
    I agree, an extra click or two to make sure an app is closed instead of running in the background is that big of a deal to me. Now if Android 2.0 finds an easier and more convenient way to close apps and also leave them in the background then that is a valid point.
    10-18-09 02:18 PM
    I agree, an extra click or two to make sure an app is closed instead of running in the background is that big of a deal to me. Now if Android 2.0 finds an easier and more convenient way to close apps and also leave them in the background then that is a valid point.
    I liked the graphic way WebOS deals with closing apps. How could it be any simpler? Flick up--app closed. awesome. Pre quality NOT so awesome.
    10-18-09 02:19 PM
    you say thats it, but screen typing is very important to me I do alot of writing. It may seem like a small reason to get the Odin to you, but to me its a really important factor.
    I currently use a WinMo phone (HTC Touch Pro). I will be leaving for either a Droid 2.0 (HTC Hero) or Storm 2, so I feel that I am unbiased in my feelings.

Yesterday I played with an HTC Hero at a Sprint store just to see the device. Herea are my negative impressions

1) Screen size. To me, it felt like the screen was smaller than what is found on the Storm or Storm2 even though the Hero comes with a 3.7" screen Vs. the Storms 3.25" screen.

2) Typing - I also tried typing on the Hero in portrait mode and to be honest it was a disaster. Since I spend most of my time typing on the phone, that is a critical item for me and why I am tending towards a Storm2

3) Voice dialing - I also use voice dialing quite a bit, and the absence of that is another thing in the Storm2's favor.

4) Question - how is Droid at synching with Outlook? My small business lives and die off of my email and calendar.

5) Pluses - Now do get me wrong, other wise I see Android 2.0 as the superior OS. From what I have seen its browser is fantastic and I love the contact integration. Its also smooth and slicker than snot and faster than the Storm1.

Despite these pluses in its favor, the three items I specifically mentioned are the ones that are most important to me. I have to be able to function with my phone. Keep in mind that I'm an old fart of 39 and as always, YMMV.

Having said that I have a question based in ignorance. Are there any rumors as to when Verizon might be getting the Hero? Is there a comparison between features and GUI on the Motorola Shoes Vs. the HTC Hero?
    10-18-09 02:49 PM
    Stock Droid devices only close background apps when more memory is needed to run something else. If you want to be able to close the apps yourself, you have to download a program.
    10-18-09 02:50 PM
    It would be nice if you could close an app directly from the app switcher... Maybe something like the palm pre where you could flick away the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 03:17 PM
    HES,

You have to remember that HTC Hero is HTC's sense version of Droid. If you're looking for normal Droid device, you should check out Verizon's upcoming Droid phones or Sprint's upcoming Samsung Moment. The Moment even has a slide out keyboard.
    10-18-09 03:22 PM
    I think blackberries definitely have better communication specs in terms of push email, bbm etc. But the droid phones have "prettier" os layout and ui, and the browser is MUCH nicer.

Blackberry is more for business.

I would say droid phones and winmo(at least the htc ones) are more for fun, social networking like the iphone and sidekicks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 03:22 PM
    does the droid run on windows?? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    10-18-09 03:38 PM
    IM in my 30 day trial time as I ported over from alltel. To me the storm2 and droid are both acceptable. I have until the 10th of nov to switch from this storm1(i hate it and so does the wife). Its our first touchscreen and is a bit glitchy. We will get a droid if available and if not then we will jump on the storm2. For us we like the idea of a well built(metal) slider with a touchscreen and a physical keyboard but we will def be droppin the storm1's even if it means settling for the tour.
    10-18-09 03:50 PM
    does the droid run on windows?? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    The Motorola Droid runs on Android. Android (Droid for short) is the mobile OS that Google has created.
    10-18-09 03:54 PM
    I liked the graphic way WebOS deals with closing apps. How could it be any simpler? Flick up--app closed. awesome. Pre quality NOT so awesome.
    I didnt know it was that simple.... Oh RIMMMMM.... lol.
    10-18-09 04:06 PM
    I for one prefer the way BB's run multiple apps over WebOS. BB's run the apps in the background. With WebOS, you're constantly looking at all of the apps you have open. It makes for a somewhat cluttered user experience.
    10-18-09 04:10 PM
    I dont think I would bother with an HTC right now. If I were to go droid instead of S2 it would be the sholes or w/e its gonna be called. The only thing I dont know about it having the slide out keyboard. I normally type in portrait with my S1 and am concerned how much bulk the slide out keyboard will add especially if I rarely use it. I assume the sholes will also have a touch keyboard in portrait view?
    10-18-09 04:21 PM
    I dont think I would bother with an HTC right now. If I were to go droid instead of S2 it would be the sholes or w/e its gonna be called. The only thing I dont know about it having the slide out keyboard. I normally type in portrait with my S1 and am concerned how much bulk the slide out keyboard will add especially if I rarely use it. I assume the sholes will also have a touch keyboard in portrait view?
    It's called the Droid. Its about as thick as the iPhone. And yes, it has a on screen keyboard. Go to BGR for a Android 2.0 walk-through.

And the Pre isn't cluttered. Each app has its own space, its not all cluttered on the screen.

Some people...
    Last edited by Autosuggestion; 10-18-09 at 04:55 PM.
    10-18-09 04:52 PM
    It's called the Droid. Its about as thick as the iPhone. And yes, it has a on screen keyboard. Go to BGR for a Android 2.0 walk-through.

And the Pre isn't cluttered. Each app has its own space, its not all cluttered on the screen.

Some people...
    So you don't think a Pre running 15 apps in card view on the homescreen doesn't seem somewhat cluttered? Okay, we have a difference of opinion. I for one find always having to look at every app I have open to be somewhat cluttered. I guess just agree to disagree.
    10-18-09 04:59 PM
    Im curious. Can this phone really multi task like a berry?
    10-18-09 05:01 PM
    multi task better than a berry =)
    10-18-09 05:04 PM
    While there are no leaks yet of a video with it running, I know it advertises that it can. And I'm under the impression that Android does true multi-tasking.

I know I saw a video of a stress test on an HTC Hero (which is running on Android) where the guy had 6 programs running, and he used a task switcher to go back to the browser....

So I'm going to say yes, the Droid does true multi-tasking.
    10-18-09 05:06 PM
    Yes, it can multitask just fine. However, unlike the BB where apps are backgrounded, the Pre's open apps sit there on huge cards right on your screen. Imagine a BB in which the app switcher was always open. That gives you an idea of the Pre. The difference being that the Pre doesn't just show icons of open apps, it actually shows the app in a large (or smaller) card view. You can't push your open apps to the background and just have your homescreen the way you do on BB or Droid.

Edit: I'm talking about the Pre here, not the new Droid device. Sorry if your question was about the Droid. The Droid multitasks like the BB. And as long as you're using just the plain Droid, you can run a lot of apps in the background. I use to run my G1 with 20+ at a time.
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 10-18-09 at 05:11 PM.
    10-18-09 05:09 PM
    Why a device like the shoals V. Hero?
    10-18-09 05:17 PM
    Its cool. Cause I know I did a strees test with .151 and higher 5.0 buidls, and my app memory increased doing so.

I wonder if the phone can handle 40 plus apps open at the same time like the BB can.

Also, Im wondering if build quality is cheap feeling. SOmething can appear to be built properly, but are suseptable to wear and tear quicker than the storm. AKA the omnia 1.

Im actually interested in this phone.......still getting odin though.

I will always own a BB from now on, any other phone i get will be in addition. lol.
    10-18-09 05:20 PM
    So you don't think a Pre running 15 apps in card view on the homescreen doesn't seem somewhat cluttered? Okay, we have a difference of opinion. I for one find always having to look at every app I have open to be somewhat cluttered. I guess just agree to disagree.
    No, I agree with that, but I never used card view.

I returned that phone within a week. Hated it.
    10-18-09 05:59 PM
235 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD