What hasn't been mentioned or asked is, Blackberry will push every email service available, will Android do this, or is Android just for Gmail? Also what level of security is available for Android?

If Android doesn't offer any of this, it is nothing more than competition in the "Toy" part of the market and won't compete is the business end of the market.
    10-18-09 09:06 PM
    What hasn't been mentioned or asked is, Blackberry will push every email service available, will Android do this, or is Android just for Gmail? Also what level of security is available for Android?

If Android doesn't offer any of this, it is nothing more than competition in the "Toy" part of the market and won't compete is the business end of the market.
    Android pushes email and also has exhange activesync. It isn't difficult for for manufacturers to do push email what advantage rim has here will most likely be gone in two or three years and then blackberry will fall in the same catergory unless your running on a bes (and less than half of users are bes user and that number will continue to plummet as well)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-09 09:17 PM
    I am a current s1 owner, i am geeked about the storm 2 but now that the moto droid is coming out i am very interested in that phone.
    I am hoping to try both and seeing what is best for me. I cant believe that Verizon is dragging there feet on this storm 2 and the retardation of the Verizon reps.

i have never had a slider phone so i am not sure what it will be like, i just hope the s2 is better at typing then my storm 1 that is the only complaint i have had.
    Last edited by cyrusdog; 10-18-09 at 09:40 PM.
    10-18-09 09:33 PM
    Android pushes email and also has exhange activesync. It isn't difficult for for manufacturers to do push email what advantage rim has here will most likely be gone in two or three years and then blackberry will fall in the same catergory unless your running on a bes (and less than half of users are bes user and that number will continue to plummet as well)

Thanks! Good Info!
    I will still stay with BB and yes I am BIS user, but that may change depending on whether the company sees a use in the full BES.
    Don't under estimate RIM. With the upcoming development of the webkit browser, the addition of flash and youtube vid, they won't be behind for long.
    I know Android is on the same path with flash so it will go to the manufacturers as to how they use the OS.
    Traditionally flip and slide phones are less durable and break faster than candy bar phones so that is also a consideration. Even if RIM comes out with a flip/slider I won't buy it.
    Moto Droid is a slider and I haven't had good experience with Moto,
    Samsung, or LG, but I am sure there are some that will disagree.
    10-18-09 09:34 PM
    This will sound weird to some, but one of my biggest "needs" is the suretype keyboard that the S2 provides in portrait. I'm coming from a Pearl and strongly prefer Suretype over QWERTY. I know there are others like me who feel pretty strongly about that.

For us, that feature is a clear advantage for BB over the stock Android phones - from what I've seen so far they come w/a standard crowded QWERTY keyboard in portrait orientation.

If, however, "there will be an app for that," then moving from BB to Android could be a lot more likely...
    10-18-09 09:42 PM
    Check out this article explaining where some of the problems developing apps for Android might be an issue in the future, and how Open source on the platform can be a lot harder for developers. There is a lot of relevant info, and shows some problems that may come up in the future for android as it continues to take off. I highly recommend reading it if you are truly interested in Android devices. A Chink In Android�s Armor
    Just like the article states most of these seem overblown. Honestly I think if your trying to harness every possible aspect of the phone you could run into issues but if you were programming for a basline there shouldn't be any issues

10-18-09 09:45 PM
    Ok so what brands does this phone consist of. Google Android and what.....who makes the hardware google too?
    10-18-09 09:52 PM
    What exactly is it. The way it looks you can change that with a theme on a BB, oh its the widgets BB is now getting those out as well. I just dont see the big deal, you want your BB os to look prettier, you add a theme, you want widgets they will be coming soon. Thats it seems kinda lame.
    Don't get me wrong, i love BBs, BUT with RIM EVERYTHING is always "COMING SOON" and always seems to be delayed and delayed and delayed!!!!
    10-18-09 09:54 PM
    Using a theme on a BB is like polishing a turd. You usually sacrifice performance to make it look how you want. This is due to Plazmic being poorly written for developers.

BB has decided to hang on to this "business" model and they are going to suffer as other companies produce better platforms. Android is a superior platform to BB in most ways. BES is the only real advantage of RIM and most of us are NOT on BES.

I really love my storm, but am very disapointed that RIM keeps screwing around with the same old OS. They need a game changer and despite what most of us BB loyals think, the Storm2 will not be it.
    10-18-09 10:04 PM
    Thanks! Good Info!
    I will still stay with BB and yes I am BIS user, but that may change depending on whether the company sees a use in the full BES.
    Don't under estimate RIM. With the upcoming development of the webkit browser, the addition of flash and youtube vid, they won't be behind for long.
    I know Android is on the same path with flash so it will go to the manufacturers as to how they use the OS.
    Traditionally flip and slide phones are less durable and break faster than candy bar phones so that is also a consideration. Even if RIM comes out with a flip/slider I won't buy it.
    Moto Droid is a slider and I haven't had good experience with Moto,
    Samsung, or LG, but I am sure there are some that will disagree.
    The droid is suppose to be metal and glass. Im not a slider or flip phone fan but Im probably going to give the Droid a try. If its metal and glass I would think it would be a bit more durable than the crappy rumor or some other slider.
    10-18-09 10:06 PM
    Just saw 12 peektures of the Droid.

Its such a good looking phone, but I hope the keyboard will be alright.

They were up on BGR but got pulled.

Check the HoFo Droid threads.
    10-18-09 10:07 PM
    The commercials talk about the DROID, not "droid" as an OS. Jesus.
    Dude, you are going to have a stroke over something that is going to happen no matter how much if obviously offends you. People like to shorten names. Do you go around saying "refrigerator" or do you say "fridge"? Do you say "vehicle" or "car", even if you might be referring sometimes to a truck, SUV, or minivan? Chill out or stroke out--your choice. oh, btw, I look forward to all the droids hitting the market soon. hehe!
    10-18-09 10:08 PM
    Dude, you are going to have a stroke over something that is going to happen no matter how much if obviously offends you. People like to shorten names. Do you go around saying "refrigerator" or do you say "fridge"? Do you say "vehicle" or "car", even if you might be referring sometimes to a truck, SUV, or minivan? Chill out or stroke out--your choice. oh, btw, I look forward to all the droids hitting the market soon. hehe!
    that htc hero rockin the droid os will be cool when it hits verizon.
    10-18-09 10:13 PM
    that htc hero rockin the droid os will be cool when it hits verizon.
    I think I can agree with that! (just be sure it's sporting 2.0 and the promise of bluetooth voice dialing is not a con job!)
    10-18-09 10:16 PM
    I think I can agree with that! (just be sure it's sporting 2.0 and the promise of bluetooth voice dialing is not a con job!)
    theres a pic of it on boygenius.
    10-18-09 10:19 PM

You can say this all you want but more and more companies are moving away from BB. they simply aren't happy with the cost to maintain a BES environment. Target Corporation just replaced blackberries with iPhones--remember the device that isn't for business? Yup.

IBM is rumored to be leaving RIM too, as they are sick of dealing with having to write their own environment to run the damn phones how they want, when with other OS's they could just make an app to do the job effectively.

Hang on folks, RIM is in for a surprise if they aren't willing to change.
    10-18-09 10:21 PM
    It isn't nearly the same. You are talking about an OS by calling it the name of a phone. For the sake of normal conversation speak like someone who isn't 5 years old.

Look at this:
    I'm so excited for droid on the droid. Droid is the Best. I think droid is going to be the best OS out there. Droid is such a solid phone.

That is just f'ing ********. Shortening something is fine. Shortening something so that it means something else is stupid.
    10-18-09 10:25 PM
    Ok so what brands does this phone consist of. Google Android and what.....who makes the hardware google too?
    Google Android is an OS. The hardware running Android is made by several manufacturers, each with a specific name for the phone(Droid, G1, etc)
    10-18-09 10:26 PM
    Google Android is an OS. The hardware running Android is made by several manufacturers, each with a specific name for the phone(Droid, G1, etc)

How about you speak with a little more respect for your fellow forum members??? What gives YOU the right to dictate what's "stupid"? I look forward to seeing a bevy of droids hit the carriers soon...
    10-18-09 10:28 PM
    It isn't nearly the same. You are talking about an OS by calling it the name of a phone. For the sake of normal conversation speak like someone who isn't 5 years old.

Look at this:
    I'm so excited for droid on the droid. Droid is the Best. I think droid is going to be the best OS out there. Droid is such a solid phone.

That is just f'ing ********. Shortening something is fine. Shortening something so that it means something else is stupid.
    this is message board stupidity at its finest. Textbook idiocy.
    10-18-09 10:31 PM

Look at this:

Stroke out already!!! Which phone is actually named the DROID???????
    10-18-09 10:32 PM
    Using a theme on a BB is like polishing a turd. You usually sacrifice performance to make it look how you want. This is due to Plazmic being poorly written for developers.

BB has decided to hang on to this "business" model and they are going to suffer as other companies produce better platforms. Android is a superior platform to BB in most ways. BES is the only real advantage of RIM and most of us are NOT on BES.

I really love my storm, but am very disapointed that RIM keeps screwing around with the same old OS. They need a game changer and despite what most of us BB loyals think, the Storm2 will not be it.
    Ok now your just sounding like you dont know what your talking about. What is the point in making comments like this? IMO the 5.0 OS is pretty sweet. Its functionable, works fast, and has many feature that work in my favor that just simply make life easier. Why hate because a company has a different way of doing things. Just because its not the Android way or the Apple way. People like blackberry because it is the way it is. The are fairly new to the consumer game and it seems that they are giving consumers what they want as they ask for it.

Im getting tired of all these people thinking that because a new phone is coming out it is going to obliterate every other device. The storm 2 is the storm 2 the Freakin Droid is the droid. We dont really know what the fck is gonna happen until they release, so why dont you guys just hang your panties out on the clothes line chill the fck out.
    10-18-09 10:41 PM
    Im pretty aware that google android is an OS. You did not answer my question.
    10-18-09 10:43 PM
    Im pretty aware that google android is an OS. You did not answer my question.
    What didn't I answer. This phone under discussion is made by Motorola. What is complicated here. If you would word a question in english I'd be happy to get back to you.

My points on on this thread about RIM needing a game changer have nothing to do with the Droid. They have everything to do with the simple fact that if RIM wants to survive in the Consumer marker something will have to change. WE love 5.0, especially in comparison to previous OS's. NEW customers will look at even the latest RIM os and be dissuaded to go another direction. RIM NEEDS the consumer market to survive and they are really grasping at straws to keep going. We keep getting a lot of the same stuff. Especially with continued releases with hardware flaws. The S2 is a great phone, but it can't make an OS something it isn't.

What about this was so outrageous that there was no point in making my post. I pointed out solid issues. If you're gonna turn this into a cry fest about how I picked on your precious BlackBerry, just walk away. If you can't handle when someone points out a flaw in a device(and the OS is a flaw on BB's) then you need to get a hobby. I didn't do anything crazy by suggesting that RIM needs to do something drastic to really compete in the consumer market(the market that really matters now).

The S2 looks like a great device, the hardware changes are phenomenal, yet the OS still lacks a great deal. Saying that I'm stupid because I believe most themes are detrimental to devices is nonsense. 5/10 memory leaks on my storm have been caused by poorly written themes(most of the time this is not the developers fault).

People who aren't willing to see the flaws of their device aren't worth arguing with. As I've said for months--I love my storm, but the simple fact is that the OS rim has offered is still JAVA based and that is a serious limitation to what consumers want and "need".

I know I won't get anywhere on a BlackBerry forum, but I'm not willing to follow blindly. Android has some very tempting offers and Big Red getting 2(or 3) Android phones is going to throw a pretty big hurdle at both RIM and WinMo phones like the TP2 and Imagio.
    Last edited by McCracken; 10-18-09 at 10:56 PM.
    10-18-09 10:52 PM
235 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD