Met a guy at the bar last night who was full of a lot of stuff, but seemed to know what he was talking about to a point. Anyway, he claimed to have created software for android phones that allows them to hotspot, no matter the carrier, and being on T-Mobile that would be a huge thing. So he hands me this CD and says to put in my pooter and hook my phone to it as well and put it on and voila, I've got mobile hot spot for free. So what do you all think, should I do it? He's an auto mechanic that says he went to ITT Tech, then Georgia Tech, then Marine intelligence of some sorts. Claimed to've worked for Google creating code and programs for Android, yet he was missing teeth, had loose threads all over his shirt, and his jeans were ripped... not fashionably. My curiosity is getting the better of me for even entertaining the idea.
    12-14-10 11:15 PM
    I have the incredible and have read a thread that says you can do that on my phone. I've never tried it but let me link the website. I know its not for t-mobile but if they can do it on vzw I'm sure there is probably a way on your phone.

FAQ & How To Guide - Android Forums

Scroll to where it says tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 12:00 AM
    there is an app that allows wireless hotspot for free for people that are rooted. been around for quite awhile now, nothing new

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
    12-15-10 12:10 AM
    I'm probably not going to root my device again, it proved to be pretty pointless for me. I really don't give a ****el about hotspoting as I have wifi at home and could care less what other people around me get for free by piggybacking off of me nor to use the terribly slow phone internet on any other device.. I jus wanna see if this guy was legit. Think I'm going to throw the disk away or try it on somebody elses computer and phone!!! LOL

12-15-10 12:25 AM
    I do not recommend sticking strangers CDs in your...pooter anyway. You'll get some sort of infection.

Last edited by supermario28; 12-15-10 at 01:57 PM.
    12-15-10 11:24 AM
    there is an app that allows wireless hotspot for free for people that are rooted. been around for quite awhile now, nothing new

This. Any device can connect to it. Pretty sure the stock hotspot app allows any connection as well. I allowed my iPhone buddy to connect using it when I still had the app installed and wasn't on a custom ROM.
    12-15-10 11:59 AM
    I do not recommend sticking strangers CDs in your...pooter. You'll get some sort if infection.
    Best post of this thread LOL
    12-15-10 12:03 PM
    I set it up for the comment, was surprised it took someone so long to do it.
    12-17-10 12:42 PM
    This. Any device can connect to it. Pretty sure the stock hotspot app allows any connection as well. I allowed my iPhone buddy to connect using it when I still had the app installed and wasn't on a custom ROM.
    Yeah, but custom ROM or not, where you rooted? I think that's the point. The app won't work unless you're rooted, ROM regardless.
    12-17-10 12:44 PM
    right its 1 of the many benefits of being rooted. there are other ways too without root
    12-17-10 12:53 PM
    Yeah, but custom ROM or not, where you rooted? I think that's the point. The app won't work unless you're rooted, ROM regardless.
    The free wireless tethering app (which is also a hotspot) needs root. The hotspot app I was talking about came stock with my DX, that doesn't require root . Not sure if there is another hotspot app like that on the market. I know Sprint users get a hotspot app as well.
    12-17-10 12:56 PM
    if your rooted u can DL the hotspot app...been out for awhile
    12-17-10 12:59 PM

Does any of this differ from the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot that came on my DZ? I know I activated it one day and was able to tether my Torch to it..but is this something different?
    12-17-10 01:04 PM
    Does any of this differ from the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot that came on my DZ? I know I activated it one day and was able to tether my Torch to it..but is this something different?
    I am pretty sure the carrier supported hotspot apps require an additional fee (at least on VZW it does). The free one is exactly that, free. That's the only difference I can think of really.
    12-17-10 01:15 PM
    It allows you to block MAC Addresses so only certain devices can even attach themselves to your hot-spot. Granted you can WEP code lock down the native client but we all know that really doesn't stop anyone from doing what they want.
    12-17-10 01:16 PM
    bwahahahahahaha
    12-17-10 08:56 PM
    I can hotspot for free without root. But I am bad ***. PM me if you want the same (verizon DX only)
    12-17-10 09:07 PM
    I do not recommend sticking strangers CDs in your...pooter anyway. You'll get some sort of infection.

**** yes, strange pooter insertion ain't good.
    12-17-10 09:12 PM
    I can hotspot for free without root. But I am bad ***. PM me if you want the same (verizon DX only)
    That's exactly what this guys program is supposed to give you. Rootless hotspotting on T-Mobile, for free. I'm still contemplating doing it, but won't dare give up my BB9700 just yet... still loving where it picks up and Android sucks.
    12-27-10 10:21 PM
    That's exactly what this guys program is supposed to give you. Rootless hotspotting on T-Mobile, for free. I'm still contemplating doing it, but won't dare give up my BB9700 just yet... still loving where it picks up and Android sucks.
    that doesnt happen for anything so far
    12-27-10 10:41 PM
    He can, and so can anyone else. I am sure T mo's service can be tricked like we trick VZW.
    12-27-10 10:48 PM
    If I post the exacts, I am sure I violate CB's terms of service, but it is happening and is possible.
    12-27-10 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD