Alright all I hear about is how many apps are available on the Android devices and how many are not available on BB devices. My honest question to those who came from a BB is what new apps did you find on android that were not currently out on BB in some form. I'm not talking pandora,slacker etc, really new and cool apps that are useful. So what was the name, what does it do or how is it helpful. I'm curious because I have a storm2 and I like the droid and can still switch within the 30 days, but I want to know what apps are really different from what I can currently get on a BB.
    11-23-09 08:52 PM
    I never got too crazy into apps on my Storms so forgive me if these are actually available for the Storm. Here are a few cools ones I've found after having my Droid for a few days...
    barcode scanner - totally awesome. Scans barcodes, looks up items online with prices, etc.
    compass - novelty app.
    torchLED - just released I believe - uses your LEDs for a flashlight. (I know the Storm had somewhat the same feature but it ran the camera)
    gstrings - freaking guitar tuner that works! I just think of how many times I've gone away, left my tuner at home, then spent 5-10 on a cheap one to get me by
    google sky - pretty awesome but novelty app.
    google places - kind of reminds me of Poynt but much much better
    SMS popup - customize incoming texts (must have for me)
    wifi analyzer - scans wireless networks

These are a few of the apps off the top of my head. Widgets would be another thread but some of them are better than the actual apps.

I just switched from an S2 myself and I am not looking back. The best part about these apps...THEY WORK!!!! No tricks, no nothing. Download them and 3 seconds later they are running. It's amazing.
    11-23-09 09:06 PM
    Google navigation

Enough said
    11-23-09 09:08 PM
    The web browser!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 09:16 PM
    Google navigation rocks and the web browser is awesome, but as far as apps go, there are a ton more than the Berryberry has.
    11-23-09 10:34 PM
    I've never been much of an apps guy. I've always regarded most apps as novelties, and not of any real value.

However, I haven't had an Android phone since March of this year (got rid of my G1 after a few months with it). And I've noticed that the Android marketplace has improved vastly. I now find myself using a multitude of different apps each day.

My most commonly used apps are:

GMote: Very, very great app for controlling computer over Wifi. My girlfriend and I usually watch a few episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld before we go to bed, and with GMote, I can lay in bed and control my computer from the touch screen on my Droid. You can either browse for media to play, or turn the touch screen into an actual track pad, moving the mouse on the screen, doing tasks on your computer without actually getting up. Definitely one of my favorite apps.

Google Navigation - No explanation needed.

Mileage: - I like keeping track of my gas mileage. This app makes it easier than using simple text documents.

Mobisle Notes - I often need to make myself quick lists, or notes, and this is a handy quick list maker.

AK Notepad: - Probably the best notepad app for Droid. Able to create multiple notes, and even stick them on the homescreen as short cuts. Definitely a useful app.

Weather Widgets Donate - HTC nailed the weather/clock widget with Sense UI, and although the Droid lacks Sense UI, this app/widget provides the big faced flip clock, with very nice graphics and animation. This widget really pulls the homes screen together.

Although I have a few more apps installed, these are the only ones that I really rely on daily. I am definitely considering purchasing this one though:

Phonemypc: - Seems to provide a great remote desktop solution. I like the idea of being able to remote desktop into my computer at any time, simply with the use of my phone. It's $10, and I haven't bought it yet, but I'm considering it.
    11-23-09 11:26 PM
    I'll give a non fanboy answer on the market. Its no better than BB App World, or the App Store. Anything really useful, you will find on pretty much every other platform. You will of course find many thousands of useless apps, and if you happen to think its cool to find sound boards from every stupid movie ever made, and then have to sift through them to find good apps due to the horrible layout of the market, then its a smashing success.
    11-23-09 11:43 PM
    Android market no better than Appworld? LOL.

Even if that were true, the apps in the market are generally cheaper than the same apps in Appworld.

11-23-09 11:56 PM
    Android market no better than Appworld? LOL.

Even if that were true, the apps in the market are generally cheaper than the same apps in Appworld.

Of course its no better. The setup is terrible, and every useful type app on the market, you can find a comparable one on Appworld. Its clearly inferior to the app store, and I dont mean in number of apps, i mean in the interface. Face it, their are a ton of apps, but the vast majority of them are junk, and the one true advantage over appworld is the price of the apps in the market. The Droid hasn't even been out a month, its selling as good as the Palm Pre did, and its spawned a bunch of fanboys. Pretty interesting. You may be programmed to think your motoroLOLa is God, but Android, your phone included is still new, and has real issues that are in need of being addressed.
    11-24-09 12:25 AM
    LOL. Just cause I disagree with you I am now a Motorola fanboi?

I'm still debating whether to hold on to this phone or return it before my 30 days are up. I live in a handsfree cellphone area, and the lack of BT voicedialing is a major disappointment. I don't want to be stuck with the phone if this isn't addressed by an update or an app.

11-24-09 12:35 AM
    Of course its no better. The setup is terrible, and every useful type app on the market, you can find a comparable one on Appworld. Its clearly inferior to the app store, and I dont mean in number of apps, i mean in the interface. Face it, their are a ton of apps, but the vast majority of them are junk, and the one true advantage over appworld is the price of the apps in the market. The Droid hasn't even been out a month, its selling as good as the Palm Pre did, and its spawned a bunch of fanboys. Pretty interesting. You may be programmed to think your motoroLOLa is God, but Android, your phone included is still new, and has real issues that are in need of being addressed.
    WoW...Like what? Havent had an issue with mine as of yet.....And the app world isnt good at ALL. I would give you one thing. there are a lot of stupid apps, but all of these app stores have a bunch of stupid apps. MotoroLOLa? I mean c'mon now, HTC isn't that much better IMO There isn't anything wrong with the device that the update on dec 11th and early january can't fix....And fyi...Not a fanboy because I looooooovvvvveeeeddd my Tour. Just stating my opinion
    Last edited by crazy4bbtour; 11-24-09 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    11-24-09 12:37 AM
    WoW...Like what? Havent had an issue with mine as of yet.....And the app world isnt good at ALL. I would give you one thing. there are a lot of stupid apps, but all of these app stores have a bunch of stupid apps. MotoroLOLa? I mean c'mon now, HTC isn't that much better IMO There isn't anything wrong with the device that the update on dec 11th and early january can't fix....And fyi...Not a fanboy because I looooooovvvvveeeeddd my Tour. Just stating my opinion
    I clearly don't take my phone, or the branding on it as seriously as some people I suppose. At the end of the day, they are all just stupid cell phones, and life would not cease to exist if they disappeared tomorrow. Stick around this forum for five minutes, and you'll see all the ridiculous attacks on people who try to make an objective thought on something and do not bow blindly to the piece of metal attached to their hips. the LOL was in reference to the post I quoted. It fits in nicely I think, as Motorola has been irrelevant since 2004, and known to make straight garbage products.

I have no brand loyalty. I wanted an Android phone and the Hero was my only choice at the time, I like it fine, make fun of HTC, I won't take it personally, and I surely won't lose any sleep. End of the day, they're all just stupid toys, and we're still a bunch of stupid monkey's.
    11-24-09 12:46 AM
    The Droid hasn't even been out a month, its selling as good as the Palm Pre did, and its spawned a bunch of fanboys. Pretty interesting. You may be programmed to think your motoroLOLa is God, but Android, your phone included is still new, and has real issues that are in need of being addressed.
    lol are you kidding as good as the Pre? Dude you seriously do not understand the impact the Droid has had on the market do you? I'm talking one device thats only been out a few weeks.

Here's a little read for you. Quit making outlandish statements like that and I won't have to come in and correct you : )

I have bolded some things so you can REALLY understand the impact the Droid has had in a VERY small time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a rather stunning number from AdMob in an October report. The firm reports on web requests from thousands of sites world wide. In the latest report, Apple has 55% of the domestic Smartphone traffic share, and Android has 20%. Interestingly, the Blackberry share dropped 2% to a 12 percent share, and Palm's webOS dropped from a 10% share to 5%.

Windows Mobile OS has 4% of the U.S. Smartphone web traffic.

The AdMob statistics do not show handset sales, but rather are calculated by measuring traffic on more than 15,000 web sites and applications.

The Motorola Droid, running only on Verizon, has captured 24% of all Android traffic, even though it has been out only a few weeks.

The iPhone has been on the market for 28 months. That 55% share of traffic is a pretty robust number for such a relatively new product. The Android numbers, especially those of the Droid are also good news for Google, Motorola and Verizon.

The balance of Smartphone data may change dramatically as the holiday season unwinds, and it will be interesting to watch the ebb and flow of the competing brands.

AdMob was recently purchased by Google. Apple also had reportedly had some interest in the company.

Here's the link to the full page.

iPhone and Android now total 75% of U.S. smartphone web traffic
    11-24-09 01:00 AM
    lol are you kidding as good as the Pre? Dude you seriously do not understand the impact the Droid has had on the market do you? I'm talking one device thats only been out a few weeks.

Here's a little read for you. Quit making outlandish statements like that and I won't have to come in and correct you : )

I have bolded some things so you can REALLY understand the impact the Droid has had in a VERY small time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a rather stunning number from AdMob in an October report. The firm reports on web requests from thousands of sites world wide. In the latest report, Apple has 55% of the domestic Smartphone traffic share, and Android has 20%. Interestingly, the Blackberry share dropped 2% to a 12 percent share, and Palm's webOS dropped from a 10% share to 5%.

Windows Mobile OS has 4% of the U.S. Smartphone web traffic.

The AdMob statistics do not show handset sales, but rather are calculated by measuring traffic on more than 15,000 web sites and applications.

The Motorola Droid, running only on Verizon, has captured 24% of all Android traffic, even though it has been out only a few weeks.

The iPhone has been on the market for 28 months. That 55% share of traffic is a pretty robust number for such a relatively new product. The Android numbers, especially those of the Droid are also good news for Google, Motorola and Verizon.

The balance of Smartphone data may change dramatically as the holiday season unwinds, and it will be interesting to watch the ebb and flow of the competing brands.

AdMob was recently purchased by Google. Apple also had reportedly had some interest in the company.

Here's the link to the full page.

iPhone and Android now total 75% of U.S. smartphone web traffic
    So, if I can understand this properly. Iphone and Android combine for 75% of US smartphone traffic, is that right? Now, Iphone has 55% of that market, which would mean that Android holds 20%, is that right? Now, the Droid makes up 24% of all Android traffic, is that right? So that means that the other Android phones, (5) of them I think, make up the other 76% of Android traffic, is that right? Give us the numbers of the other Android devices and then compare "impact". If the Droid makes up 24%, and HTC Hero makes up 19%, and the Eris 14% and so on and so forth, its not that impressive. And yes, projections for the Droid, are to sell on par with the Palm Pre. The Storm 1 was out for 80 days before it hit 1M phones, the Droid will possibly sell half of that by the end of the year, on a MUCH bigger network, and a MUCH larger Ad campaign. Analysts have stated, if they don't sell 1M units by the end of the year, you can call it a bust.

The other thing to consider is, the Iphone is a single product, Android is going to be throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it, and its probably not going to catch it.

Saying the Droid has 24% of the Android market when it hasn't been out but nearly three weeks after the Hero is meaningless. Its a small sample size. Its been hyped to the gills, and I've still not, and I promise you, I'm being sincere, still never seen one in the wild. Wait until June '10 or so, before that 24% means anything.

Heres a nifty little image from that site.

Isn't the Dream, the Eris? I'm no mathematician, but the Dream seems to have 12% on the Droid.
    Last edited by Semantics; 11-24-09 at 01:42 AM.
    11-24-09 01:22 AM
    Alright all I hear about is how many apps are available on the Android devices and how many are not available on BB devices. My honest question to those who came from a BB is what new apps did you find on android that were not currently out on BB in some form. I'm not talking pandora,slacker etc, really new and cool apps that are useful. So what was the name, what does it do or how is it helpful. I'm curious because I have a storm2 and I like the droid and can still switch within the 30 days, but I want to know what apps are really different from what I can currently get on a BB.
    Well that's a loaded question. I am glad blackberry has an app world and is growing it. It would take way to log to search both available apps for the devices as you can go beyond the native app worlds and markets to get even more apps. Here is the difference, with the blackberry, you must reboot the phone so darn much installing apps, that it is just plain annoying.
    11-24-09 02:50 AM
    "Isn't the Dream, the Eris? I'm no mathematician, but the Dream seems to have 12% on the Droid. "

The Dream is the G1, and the Magic is the Hero/Eris.

Last edited by xliderider; 11-24-09 at 03:53 AM.
    11-24-09 03:06 AM
    These are the one's I have and really like!

Google Maps (The REAL deal! It's just like the online Google Maps! Yes!)

Google Navigation (It's amazingly awesome, ranks right up there with my Garmin
    Nuvi and pretty much has all the same features of my nuvi!)

Traffic Cams (Shows traffic cams from anywhere in the country! Really helps you before you go out to see where traffic is congested, and majority of the cams update every second!)

GPS Status (It's a digital compass with all the advanced features, very cool! It's a nice compliment to Google Maps and shows what elevation you are at, you're heading and all sorts of other neat info)

Where (It's an all in one GPS powered app that finds you and then you can look up weather, news, movies, gas prices, food, yellowpages info, and more! The movies tab is very cool, shows theaters near your GPS location, movie times, video trailer, wiki article about the movie, etc.)

Honestly, it's a no brainer that the Android platform can handle way better apps than the BB OS can. That's what it really comes down to. It's not about who has what apps, it's about what the OS & phone can run. And in this case, BB just isn't built to run the kind of advanced apps that Android can. Not to diss BB, it's just 2 different platforms. BB is Business w/ minor multi-media and Android is pure multi-media and entertainment on Stereoids! LOL!
    Last edited by TvTechGuru; 11-24-09 at 03:18 AM.
    11-24-09 03:15 AM
    "Isn't the Dream, the Eris? I'm no mathematician, but the Dream seems to have 12% on the Droid. "

The Dream is the G1, and the Magic is the Hero/Eris.

Thanks for the clarification. If Cereal Killer didn't make such outlandish statements about the Droid being the Android game changer, I wouldn't have to correct him.

The Droid and a 100 Million campaign = 24%. The Eris, with no discernible ad campaign = 21%. Guess that whole post about me not understanding how the Droids release changed the world was a bit exaggerated.
    11-24-09 12:29 PM
    The Droid and a 100 Million campaign = 24%. The Eris, with no discernible ad campaign = 21%. Guess that whole post about me not understanding how the Droids release changed the world was a bit exaggerated.
    The Magic's/Hero's/Eris' number's are larger because the Hero has been out for a longer time internationally, and here on Sprint, before the Eris came out. Therefore, you can't say the 21% share is only attributed to Eris sales, that would be false.
    11-24-09 12:38 PM
    The Magic's/Hero's/Eris' number's are larger because the Hero has been out for a longer time internationally, and here on Sprint, before the Eris came out. Therefore, you can't say the 21% share is only attributed to Eris sales, that would be false.
    Those are US numbers only, first. The Hero is on there at 8%, the The magic is on there at 21%. Those numbers are not combined.
    The Hero was out a whopping three weeks before the Droid in the US. Lets not pretend it was much longer.
    11-24-09 12:55 PM
    Those are US numbers only, first. The Hero is on there at 8%, the The magic is on there at 21%. Those numbers are not combined.
    The Hero was out a whopping three weeks before the Droid in the US. Lets not pretend it was much longer.
    Whoops, my bad, the Magic is the MyTouch 3G.
    11-24-09 01:00 PM
    I think the huge advertising efforts behind the Droid also helped spread awareness of the Eris as well. The commercials got people into the store, or calling customer service and asking questions. Then when presented with a cheaper alternative for "pretty much all the same features/phone" as I've heard some of my co-workers put it, they decide to go with the Eris instead. So, I firmly believe the advertising campaign behind the Droid is largely responsible for the success of the Eris.
    11-24-09 01:01 PM
    Whoops, my bad, the Magic is the MyTouch 3G.
    Again, thanks for clarification.
    11-24-09 01:01 PM
    I think the huge advertising efforts behind the Droid also helped spread awareness of the Eris as well. The commercials got people into the store, or calling customer service and asking questions. Then when presented with a cheaper alternative for "pretty much all the same features/phone" as I've heard some of my co-workers put it, they decide to go with the Eris instead. So, I firmly believe the advertising campaign behind the Droid is largely responsible for the success of the Eris.
    They are clearly both great phones. I think the biggest driving force behind them is that Verizon has not had a truly unique phone in ages, and with a ~90M customer base, starved for something Iphone-ish, these two handsets were released at the right time. Again, I think its more a testament to VZW lacking in any phone other than a BB, that is a good smartphone, and people got amped for the Droids. No harm in that, its a good thing for Android.

I also think, if AT&T gets a hot Android handset, you will see the same type of spike in user action. New things generally take off fast, then tend to cool off. For instance, the Droid sold 250k units (by some estimates) in the first weekend, yet its projected to sell 600k by years end, obviously 250K a week is not sustainable. People all the want the new thing, then a month later, its not so new.
    11-24-09 01:06 PM
    Semantics I appreciate your original response, pretty much what I was expecting honestly. so pretty much the apps everyone has listed I can already get for a bb. Are there not any revolutionary apps, that are android exclusive. I only have a few more days if I decide to return my Storm2. I know there are quite a few more android apps, but I am really trying to see if there is one that is only on android that is a must have and not available on BB. Anyone else got any that they feel are awesome.
    11-27-09 01:23 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD