Now I've been doing my research on both phones and I know both have their issues and most should be fixed when 2.0 comes out, hopefully. I know the Hero has the dust under the screen and the Moment has the battery meter,gps, and airplane mode issues. What I want to know is which would you recommend? Have you experienced any issues with your phones and are they big enough for you to not keep it? I've heard that the Moments "vanilla" OS would be better to customize then the Heros because its a less limited once 2.0 comes out and that the Moment would be able to have SenseUI. I've tested both out at the store and like the Heros OS a little better but the screen on the Moment is amazing,the keyboard is ok. I wouldn't mind using just the virtual keyboard on the Hero even though it would take a while to get used to. Which is a better overall phone? I'm coming from a Curve and want to try something new until the Tour 2 comes out. Any input from users from both phones would help greatly!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 12:02 AM
    I have the Moment as a spare phone. The GPS, Battery are the main issues. The screen is like you said Amazing, the size of the phone to hold while on a call to me at least, is perfect. Great call quality ( which I had to get this phone because my TOUR is a piece of living CRAP!) Sorry I don't get into all the apps so I can't comment on that but the phone is NIIIIICE
    12-30-09 12:06 AM
    Yeah the size of the Moment doesn't bother me at all I thinks its really good. I'm just worried about the issues because I don't want to have buyers remorse because of them.

12-30-09 12:45 AM
    dont wanna crush dreams but if your coming from a BB you will most likely get buyers remorse for right now. i came from the tour to a hero. i still have the tour but im not going back till RIM seriously gets caught up.the hero is horrible at multitasking. that is the only part that kills me. mainly because android doesnt rlly close programs until the task is canceled. but what makes up for this is the amazing UI and all the apps.

anyways i would go with hero. you can turn off HTC sense UI and make the phone a normal android but it does destroy the point of getting the phone with sense ui. the multitouch screen wins it for me. samsungs does have the 800 mhz processor but in all honesty the 528mhz MSM7600=HERO is fine with me until some newer devices come out.

either way you go get a screen protector and case to keep it mint so you can sell for a good price if you do get the tour2 down the road.

good luck
    12-30-09 01:27 AM
    I know I'm going to miss my BB but I just want to see what Android is all about. I have 2 lines and this one is eligible for an upgrade so I thought I'd try it out and see if I like it. Have you had any issues with your Hero that have turned you off or are they just small nuisances? I'm really just worried about the issues that I've read about on Android forums. Thanks for your input!

12-30-09 02:41 AM
    no big issues yet. i am in love with the android platform and just the pure open source of everything. BT audio quality is rlly bassy but that will be fixed in 2.1 hopefully. like i said you can turn off HTC sense if you have too but i dont need to. a program called advance task killer fixes lag by shutting off useless apps and you can get rid of all default starting programs by turning off their default service's off so its smooth as butter forever. email is good. keyboard has a learning curve but im really liking the feeling of accomplishment by getting better at it. media is great. and app selection is 7894652 times better than BB.

any other questions just ask. i hated askin questions on here and getting bashed or no replies. glad to help.
    12-30-09 02:54 AM
    and issues on the forums are mostly fixed on my hero. i havnt had any of them with all the updates sprint sends out and the app makers are playing really good catch up with problems.
    12-30-09 02:56 AM
    Thanks again! Yeah it sucks when people don't respond or just bas so I really appreciate your input. I've heard that HTC and Sprint are working closely to work on the bugs so that's a plus for the Hero. I know they will do the same with the Moment but right now it hasn't really happened from what I've read online. I've got to keep testing both phones to see which is the one for me. I was leaning toward the Moment because of the screen, its a little bigger and it just looks amazing but now the Hero is starting to gain ground. I know all 1st generation phones are bound to have issues but I don't want them to be to the point where it frustrates one to the point of throwing it against the wall lol.

Any Moment users care to add input lol?

12-30-09 03:15 AM
    If you can wait, wait. There are some interesting rumors flying around and if they're anything like the Nexus One rumor they're true.
    12-30-09 10:14 AM
    If you can wait, wait. There are some interesting rumors flying around and if they're anything like the Nexus One rumor they're true.
    What do you mean, the Nexus One will be confirmed any time soon for Sprint?

That would be fantastic, but Verizon will supposedly release it in spring, I would think between March-May. That just means Sprint would release it after that, probably summer; or maybe they will match Verizon. I wish I could wait, but my Premier upgrade kicked in on 1/1 and I'm dying to get something new. It does look like HTC Hero for me, it seems to have a little more functionality plus the fact that the Eclair update (Android 2.1) will be released in a few months, makes this phone very attractive to get now.

The Nexus One does look like an outstanding phone, probably no iphone killer yet, but when Google release the Nexus Two, that will for sure leave Apple thinking of the real iphone replacement, not the upgrades that they keep doing to the same phone.
    01-10-10 03:28 PM
    To add one more thing, I was waiting for the Essex (Tour 2) for Sprint, but the more I read about the Hero, the more I get attracted to the Android OS. I didn't want to know anything but BlackBerry before, but now with Google putting a lot of effort into the OS, it seems like a better choice than anything else (at least for me) at this point.
    01-10-10 03:31 PM
    To add one more thing, I was waiting for the Essex (Tour 2) for Sprint, but the more I read about the Hero, the more I get attracted to the Android OS. I didn't want to know anything but BlackBerry before, but now with Google putting a lot of effort into the OS, it seems like a better choice than anything else (at least for me) at this point.
    I know it is hard to wait, but I really would. Both of the devices you are talking about are using last gen hardware and all the new stuff is now rolling out. Sprint has to be getting a new Android device in the near future considering how many are rolling out this year. AT&T has confirmed they are getting 5 new ones, and one exclusive.

I don't know why the Nexus One isn't announced to be coming to Sprint, if they already spent the money to make a Verizon one it seems like it would be a no brainer unless Sprint wasn't interested. I believe Google is taking the approach whatever carrier wants it can have it.

Also, I would assume Sprint is getting the Hero 2 this year.
    Last edited by csreborn; 01-10-10 at 03:44 PM.
    01-10-10 03:41 PM
    Get the Moment. It's a nicer phone in my opinion and the Hardware will probably make better use of 2.1 when it is released.

I played with the hero and the lag that i noticed kept me from getting it. The Moment was only 30 bucks more (at Best Buy) and it has a physical keyboard, which coming from a crackberry, I appreciated.

I will always like the BBs and the RIM OS, but they aren't progressing fast enough. My gf will make better use out of the Tour for now, till she wants to get an Android phone.
    01-11-10 12:14 PM
    Can anyone tell me if the moment has true mms. I have been searching everywhere and can't find the answer. I am due 2/1010 and can't wait to get the moment. I am worried that I won't like it nearly as much as my berry, but I guess nothing ventured nothing gained.

01-12-10 07:32 AM
    The moment has threaded sms and tons of free apps to completely customize it. Check out "Handcent" to make sms even better. I left the Tour and got a moment after playing with the Hero for weeks at work (Best Buy). The moment is overall faster and a bit flashier. The main issue with the moment is the battery meter. Notice I said meter and not just battery. Im getting 12+ hours on my moment with HEAVY usage but the meter is jacked up on these phones. It doesnt read properly till 50-15%. This can be fixed by rooting the phone to a custom kernel but I dont care that much to do so. There should be a patch from samsung soon to handle this. To give you a better idea of whats going on:
    Charge fully overnight and 10 minutes after taking it off the charger its down to 90%, 10 more minutes 80% and 5 minutes more 70%. All this with no usage. From 70% it will run right till its down to 60% which quickly becomes 50%. From there it takes the normal time to hit 40% but quickly hits 30 and then 15%. I ran for 4 hours the other day with heavy usage at 15% before it dropped again. You can condition the battery everytime you charge it to avoid this but the condition only works for one charge cycle and then you gotta do it again.

Overall the moments a great phone and when 2.1 hits it'll be much better. I havent found anything I couldnt do on it yet and in fact theres an app thats almost complete to be allow users to message with BBM users.
    01-12-10 11:25 AM
    I'm currently using the Europe version of the hero with the modaco custom ROM on it. I love it more then any phone I have ever used before. There is no lag and the phone is very fast and responsive. I don't doubt that the moment is great as well, but sense UI won me over. Either way you're using android, so you're a winner regardless.

01-12-10 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD