After watching this video by Salomondrin:

I am now having second thoughts. I often respond to email messages on the fly on my blackberry, and losing that ability would not be good for business. Do you think that I should expect this kind of delay with emails going forward? I know Gmail 'pushes' and Exchange / Outlook 'pulls' but every 5mins seems like too long of a delay. Will this be ever fixed or improved upon or is this an Android reality?
    11-05-09 07:27 PM

I am now having second thoughts. I often respond to email messages on the fly on my blackberry, and losing that ability would not be good for business. Do you think that I should expect this kind of delay with emails going forward? I know Gmail 'pushes' and Exchange / Outlook 'pulls' but every 5mins seems like too long of a delay. Will this be ever fixed or improved upon or is this an Android reality?

If you use your phone to eat; hold off for a while until further investigation.
    11-05-09 07:31 PM
    Send a email to your bb from your bb, then see how long it takes to arrive. Try it a couple times. Or go through your in box and compare sent times to received times. BB BIS is not that fast. Lots of variables involved though.
    11-05-09 08:10 PM
    Send a email to your bb from your bb, then see how long it takes to arrive. Try it a couple times. Or go through your in box and compare sent times to received times. BB BIS is not that fast. Lots of variables involved though.
    I have 4 BIS and 1 BES account(s) on my S2. Sending from one to another to one to itself, I get mail on all 5 accounts instantly. How do I know? Because when I'm sitting at my desk my BB vibrates, followed my my Entourage receiving the mail. And these accounts range from gmail to hosted exchange to hosted non-exchange, etc. Doesn't matter - they all get my mail to me as soon as the mail hits the server.
    11-05-09 08:14 PM
    I have 4 BIS and 1 BES account(s) on my S2. Sending from one to another to one to itself, I get mail on all 5 accounts instantly. How do I know? Because when I'm sitting at my desk my BB vibrates, followed my my Entourage receiving the mail. And these accounts range from gmail to hosted exchange to hosted non-exchange, etc. Doesn't matter - they all get my mail to me as soon as the mail hits the server.
    BIS polls at 15 minute intervals doesn't it??????
    Mine sure dont arrive instantly on my S1 thats for sure.
    11-05-09 08:19 PM
    I have to agree with the OP, my BES email is instant, my BB usually goes off 30 sec before Outlook gets the message. Same with my BIS accounts.
    11-05-09 08:25 PM
    Gmail, vzw mail, BES, and I believe yahoo should be instant push. Others poll at the normal 15min interval, then 3 mins for a total of 15min if it finds one. Rather than using owa through BIS (painfully slow), I forward my work email to a gmail account on my storm and get them pretty much as soon as they're sent and even before they show up in outlook
    11-05-09 08:32 PM
    If you use your phone to eat; hold off for a while until further investigation.
    Good advice and I'm following it. I've been looking forward to the Droid though! I have BES and I do receive emails on my Blackberry before it hits Outlook.
    11-05-09 08:43 PM
    My AOL e-mail account was able to be forwarded to my gmail account, which should be instant pushed to Android devices. I wasn't able to do the same with my Yahoo e-mail account - unless I upgraded to their premier kinda account (which I assumed meant $). I wonder what other e-mail service accounts can get linked with gmail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 08:47 PM
    Good advice and I'm following it. I've been looking forward to the Droid though! I have BES and I do receive emails on my Blackberry before it hits Outlook.
    If u are self employed here is what u can do get it set up and test it over the weekend
    11-05-09 08:47 PM
    BIS polls at 15 minute intervals doesn't it??????
    Mine sure dont arrive instantly on my S1 thats for sure.
    That's what the specs for BIS 2.8 say, but I get all mine instantly. Maybe I'm just lucky
    11-05-09 08:53 PM
    you probably use one of the email providers that are instant push supported.
    11-05-09 08:58 PM
    He is purposely making Droid look bad. Gmail on the standalone gmail app is INSTANT push. Gmail in the regular imap email program is polled every 5 minutes.

FYI exchange is also INSTANT push on the droid as well.

He's a fanboi face it.
    11-05-09 09:03 PM
    Yeah, I was thinking about the email app polling but he claimed he opened the gmail app. you couldn't see when he did it though.
    11-05-09 09:04 PM
    I'm looking forward to the Droid. I only use Gmail and Exchange, so it sounds like I should be set with email. I'll still have the Blackberry on my corporate account, so I'll have the best of both worlds. BB has a MOC 2007 program, I hope one can be developed for Android as well
    11-05-09 09:10 PM
    yeah, I have been having second thoughts as Well, I played with a s2 & know I don't want it. I am most attracted to the large screen & hi res, and email isn't too much of an issue. I am more concerned that every review I have read has said "it's a great phone, but honestly I like my *** more. But this is definitely second best!"
    Android 2.0 is still very green though and I am sure... I really HOPE that the flaws the consumers will complain the most about will get patched with OTAs from Google pretty soon.
    I have been changing my mind for 6 months now and I'm not going to at the last minute. I am making this leap. (because the fact is, it's definitely an improvement over this old bj of a phone.) (blackjack, that is)
    If I don't see any more discouraging tweets in the next few hours...

11-05-09 09:38 PM
    God I just don't know now. I've been looking at the reviews on Youtube for the Droid and I'm getting less and less excited about getting it. I get to pick out a new phone on Verizon (anything I want..) I've got the Storm 1 right now... I've got a lot of money invested in App's about $150 worth so switching would be a big deal for me.

But the specs of the Droid made me think it would be ok to waste the money that I spent on the Apps.... But after seeing the way it uses email, text and IM's.. I'm a little skeptical now.
    11-05-09 09:49 PM

Exchange will be ActiveSync and is instant Push. Only way this wouldn't hold true is if ActiveSync is not being used.

11-05-09 10:40 PM
    Gmail, vzw mail, BES, and I believe yahoo should be instant push. Others poll at the normal 15min interval, then 3 mins for a total of 15min if it finds one. Rather than using owa through BIS (painfully slow), I forward my work email to a gmail account on my storm and get them pretty much as soon as they're sent and even before they show up in outlook
    Absolutely CORRECT.

11-05-09 10:43 PM
    So will the droid not do a pop account or imap account thats not on exchange?
    11-05-09 11:09 PM
    So will the droid not do a pop account or imap account thats not on exchange?
    It will, but apparently the lowest auto polling time is 5 minutes on POP accounts. There's very likely a Send/Receive option as well to trigger one quicker then waiting if you know something is there.

Think of it like a normal email client on your PC. Works the same way.

11-05-09 11:33 PM
    It will, but apparently the lowest auto polling time is 5 minutes on POP accounts. There's very likely a Send/Receive option as well to trigger one quicker then waiting if you know something is there.

So Civic... You getting the Droid?
    11-05-09 11:43 PM
    So Civic... You getting the Droid?
    Not the "Droid" but most likely an Android phone next. There's nothing else available from VZW that's got what I need. The BB platform is really starting to limit me a bit.

11-05-09 11:49 PM

I believe you are exactly correct. If you look at the video, the email came through at 3:31pm but when he was turning the phone up away from our view because of his data, if you stop it around 6:05 you can see the time on the phone is 3:37.

The phone will poll every 5 minutes, and if you're expecting something, then go to the app and refresh it to get it quicker.

I own and run and answering service and even when all heck is breaking loose, 5 five is plenty of time to get a business email just my opinion though.

For me, this will not be a deal breaker for me to move from Storm to Droid.
    11-05-09 11:51 PM
    You're kidding me right? You waited 5 minutes to refresh and than you got it instantly? How about refreshing it 5 minutes earlier? Or how about the fact your watch says 3:38 and the phone says it got the e-mail at 3:31?

Whatever I'm not a business man, I'm debating on whether even attaching my e-mail to this phone. I did on my storm and it was just an annoyance, I don't need all my crap e-mail all day long. I could see how this would affect others though.
    11-06-09 12:05 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD