I'm still pissed that Verizon stuck Bing on my Storm and some other phones. Grrr. I want Google "everything"--search, maps, etc. None of that Bing weirdness.
    01-16-11 10:54 AM
    Hopefully Google won't allow that crap on their OS and/or puts up a fight about it. I love the Google integration on my Droid 2. I guess there would always be the option to root it and eliminate the crap yourself...
    01-16-11 11:03 AM
    I assumed Google would be the search engine considering it's Google OS? I don't like Bing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 11:39 AM
    I assumed Google would be the search engine considering it's Google OS? I don't like Bing!

Because of Verizon's deal with Microsoft, some devices ship with Bing as the default search and navigation app.

Since the bionic is DROID branded, you shouldn't have to worry about it having any Bing apps preloaded.
    01-16-11 11:46 AM
    Thanks for the reassurance, M!

01-16-11 11:46 AM
    I didnt really pay attention to the back of the phone. But if u see google on the back of it u can bet there will be no Bing on it
    01-16-11 11:53 AM
    That is what I like about most Android phones, you can use anything you want, but Google apps are default, unless you install an app or use a browser that allows you do set up different search options as the search default.

I have found that locally, there have only been a few addresses that will not come up correctly using Google maps, but will with Bing Maps, but so far it's only been 3 such searches that have done that. So out of the hundreds I have done over the last 8+ years of scoping out addresses and directions to client's homes, I think that Google will stay my default as well.
    01-16-11 12:41 PM
    I don't thing Google has a say as to what browser is put on the phone. I think VZW can make Bing the default engine if they so choose.

That open-source development sword cuts both ways...
    01-16-11 01:31 PM
    More:

Debunk: Bing not replacing Google on all Verizon Android devices -- Engadget

Just speculation, but I think the carriers can do what they want to a degree.
    01-16-11 01:36 PM
    In the past all "droid" line device had google and no Bing. LG will have bing and not sure about samsung. TB has google too. Its like 99% that Bing will not tarnish the Bionic.
    01-16-11 01:41 PM
    It'll take a whole lot more than Bing to ding the Bionic's shiny armor.
    01-16-11 01:57 PM
    I don't thing Google has a say as to what browser is put on the phone. I think VZW can make Bing the default engine if they so choose.

That open-source development sword cuts both ways...
    Exactly what I was saying.
    01-16-11 05:08 PM
    Bionic has google. any phone in the droid line has google deff. the only lte device so far that has bing is the lg revolution. not sure about the new sammy though
    01-16-11 06:03 PM
    Folks don't forget BING was all over the Fascinate and there are 500 million reasons VZW likes MS......

But don't fret that thing will be debinged the day it launches.....
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 01-16-11 at 07:43 PM.
    01-16-11 06:43 PM
    Folks don't forget BING was all over the Fascinate and there are 500 million reasons VZW likes MS......

But don't fret that thin will be debinged the day it launches.....
    IMO, Bing on the Fascinate was a travesty. Damn verizon.
    01-16-11 07:36 PM
    I hope not...
    01-16-11 10:54 PM
    Binged Bionic? Yikes.......no, Droids are premium google Verizon devices....though I seen an SGS in a droid kiosk at a VZW store, so anything is still possible....I don't think Bing is bad, in fact it is really cool if utilized. Being "locked" is the sh*t** part.
    01-16-11 11:24 PM
    I don't like bing and yes it was the default browser on the samsung fascinate which is just wrong, but you can just set google as the default homescreen for the browser and problem solved.
    01-16-11 11:32 PM
    I'm all for openness on Android OS but like WP7, Google needs to impose some requirements on the manufacturers and providers. To remove any aspect of Google from Android OS is unacceptable, it cheapens it as a whole and the device that runs that altered OS.

If you notice on WP7, there is no sense, touch wiz, moto blur ect and that's because Microsoft requires manufacturers not to run a muck with thier OS like we have seen with Android.

Stock Android is probably the best Android experience because it's simple and no nonsense.
    Last edited by JD914; 01-17-11 at 12:08 AM.
    01-16-11 11:58 PM
    Agreed. I'm going to Android because I like Google products.

01-17-11 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD