Well just as an added FYI the Military is now testing an Android device for soldiers in the field.

Military uses Android OS again for operations applications

Android Phones Go to War
    Those are some interesting reads. RATS by the defence contractor Raytheon is the application they are really talking about. Using the android OS is pretty a pretty amazing applications for marines, and the like. Do you think Raytheon is building the hardware, or are they sourcing that to China's Motorola? Interesting.......I am posting a snipit from one of your links (actually a link within a link within a link, the Forbes one has the credibility)

Relatively low prices could win some adherents. RATS will cost a few hundred dollars per user while other military-grade mobile terminals can run as high as $20,000 to $30,000, says Bigham. Raytheon also contends that RATS is a cost-saver because it requires less instruction. Like regular Android applications, RATS uses the phone's touch-screen and keyboard for navigation--motions that should be familiar to anyone who has used a smart phone. "Some of these functions were already available, but in hardware that's kind of clunky," says Bigham. "We're going for a 'zero-training-required' design."

Raytheon's support adds a new dimension to the recent Android hype. In early October, researcher Gartner said Android could be the second-largest smartphone platform--overtaking Apple ( AAPL - news - people ) and its iPhone--by 2012.

A Google ( GOOG - news - people ) spokeswoman declined to comment on the scope of this new market, but said she believes the Raytheon applications represent the first military use of Android.
    10-01-10 11:54 AM
    When you say government security are now switching to android for operational communication (work device) it simply isn't true. Howarmat (not trying to drag you in) said it best....many positions in the gov, that are not part of the security infrastructure...lol. Not trying to hate, or say you are a liar, but the fact is, and I stand my my initial assessment....you made a mountain of a story. It just isn't true friend....government security are certainly not being issued drod X's for homeland security communication infrastructure....if that were the case, we are in big trouble rofl.

I love android...I love verizons version of that, the droid too...but when a few of us jump in and say wait a second, gov security? come on man, get real as you would say...
    I DID say they he hung out at what are believed to be Terrorist HotSpots and keeps an eye out for suspicious activity. So "spotter" in your words is most like a correct frame of mind.

and i didn't say they are switching to android. I said they offered him a Blackberry and an Android and he chose the Android.

you claim i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but i clearly have seen you are not reading the post the whole way through.

1) if Android was that un-secure why would they allow use for it for any government potion.
    2) If Blackberry was that much more superior than Android when it comes to encryption why would they even offer Android?

it just got my wheels turning.
    10-01-10 11:54 AM
    Relax, you are just getting checked a little

From what I read, any military android use is being developed by Raytheon called RATS. There is nothing confirmed about the hardware, but the article indicates that consumer devices have clunky hardware and won't be used with RATS. It sounds like Raytheon is building a military app, to by used in a built by the US department of defence contractor built device. I don't think we are talking about the same thing anymore...

No, the droid X is not a Gov communication device, and never will be. I do believe that Android can be treated by the department of defence for military use, but your OP doesn't reflect any of that. That is why I checked you hard. I just need more information, and didn't think a built in china phone, with motoblur was part of security infrastructure communication protocol....looks like it isn't and never will be.

Android OS, is according to Forbes...and with the names manufacturing it ( I used to be a subcontractor for Raytheon, they do some cool $$$ shat) I believe that.

Back to what we were discussing, your Buddie may have been issued a droid for watching hot spots, but rest assured, there was no sensitive information related to national security going to the droid, and droid X's and blackberries are issued for civilian use. I think that is where we keep butting heads.

When you bold security and say gov issue, it sounds JUST like that. It is a bit misleading.
    I DID say they he hung out at what are believed to be Terrorist HotSpots and keeps an eye out for suspicious activity. So "spotter" in your words is most like a correct frame of mind.

and i didn't say they are switching to android. I said they offered him a Blackberry and an Android and he chose the Android.

you claim i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but i clearly have seen you are not reading the post the whole way through.

1) if Android was that un-secure why would they allow use for it for any government potion.
    2) If Blackberry was that much more superior than Android when it comes to encryption why would they even offer Android?

it just got my wheels turning.
    10-01-10 12:13 PM
    If you're Air Force ,than you should also know better about posting information on a public forum such as this.Remember what may SEEM harmless...........
    Trust me nothing in my post is an opsec compromise. Get more than 1 post and prove to me that what I said is opsec and I will apologize to you. The CIC uses a blackberry, is that national security issue because I just said it here? No its not. Blackberry will stay the preferred choice for the government for several more years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by flashman03; 10-01-10 at 12:17 PM.
    10-01-10 12:14 PM
    It gets my wheels turning to mjneid....and I know you posted your truth, and I can sometimes take things way to contextual. I will say this, because of your thread, I love android that much more now....and learning some peripherals of how it may be utilized by the military sounds awesome. 200 bucks sounds much better than the 20,000-30,000 devices they have been using. Thanks you.
    10-01-10 12:23 PM
    It gets my wheels turning to mjneid....and I know you posted your truth, and I can sometimes take things way to contextual. I will say this, because of your thread, I love android that much more now....and learning some peripherals of how it may be utilized by the military sounds awesome. 200 bucks sounds much better than the 20,000-30,000 devices they have been using. Thanks you.
    As far as i am aware of there is only one person that is using a Spectrum and that is the Commander in Chief.
    10-01-10 12:44 PM
    As far as i am aware of there is only one person that is using a Spectrum and that is the Commander in Chief.
    I have no clue about that one. That is a freak of a phone.
    10-01-10 12:50 PM
    As far as I know, the military has never relied on cell towers. Battle isn't a thing that happens with choosing a location. When my dad was in the AirForce, encrypted radio technology was used, and I still think it is today, but it is satellite based, and encryption is strictly done by the Department of Defence.
    10-01-10 12:54 PM
    Can you imagine? A pocket-able android device with RATS? Running of gov satellites? Sounds awesome Would be a huge advancement for the troops, including lightening their loads, and freeing up some defence money for armor/tech.
    10-01-10 12:57 PM
    I would be willing to say MOTO will build the device when I was in the Army MOTO had a lot of equipment we used......
    10-01-10 01:00 PM
    I would be willing to say MOTO will build the device when I was in the Army MOTO had a lot of equipment we used......
    So does the police, fire fighters, the NFL, etc.
    10-01-10 04:24 PM
    I spent time sitting one seat behind and across from secret service a few months ago on a commercial flight with the vice president's wife. They use some sort of modified blackberry. It was a bit different then any blackberry i've seen atleast.
    10-03-10 04:09 PM
    Did anybody actually consider that the guy was just trying to impress his old mate and was still working at Home Depot? Lol

10-04-10 04:25 AM
    I spent time sitting one seat behind and across from secret service a few months ago on a commercial flight with the vice president's wife. They use some sort of modified blackberry. It was a bit different then any blackberry i've seen atleast.
    Lol, wouldn't be surprised if they were just old blackberrys, they're bound to be the safest phones to use. No camera, prob no bluetooth and no memory to store anything on it therefore safe.
    I find the more memory you have the more you're gonna fill it up with stuff you never ever use

10-04-10 07:01 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD