I never thought I would say this...

After all the hate I posted up on these forums about BlackBerry, I am coming back.

I switched over to the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant a couples months back and never thought about coming back EVER.

Just recently, I came to a realization.

Damn I miss BlackBerry's amazing battery life, simplicity, reliability, ease of use and physical keyboard!!!

I was first blown away by the Vibrant. Had that fancy shiny new toy feeling for a good couple months, and then it wore off.

Pretty much I have come to a conclusion. I dont want a toy. I want a reliable piece of technology that does what it needs to do and for what its known for.

So today, I have posted some adds on kijiji, to trade my Vibrant for a Torch.

Got a few responses already, and soon hope to be switched over back!

NEVER thought I would be saying this. I am re-born.
    10-06-10 07:46 PM
    Welcome back Ultimately choosing a phone comes down to what works best for YOU the consumer. Perhaps BBs aren't the flashiest nor the most powerful..but they definately have a distinctness that makes people love them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 08:00 PM
    Welcome back Ultimately choosing a phone comes down to what works best for YOU the consumer. Perhaps BBs aren't the flashiest nor the most powerful..but they definately have a distinctness that makes people love them.

Quite true. A device doesn't have to be the best to be your best. I don't own BlackBerry because it impresses others, I have it because it works for me.

OP, enjoy the Torch, I'd kinda like to try one of them myself. Welcome back.

10-06-10 08:14 PM
    Welcome back, been there done that.
    10-06-10 08:15 PM

Yup thats correct. I might even settle for a 9700 for my Vibrant if they add some cash. Thats how bad I want to get back on board with BlackBerry.
    10-06-10 08:15 PM
    I thought I wanted a Driod, looked cool has nice features but the more I thought about it BB is much more usefull. SOOO its BB all the way! I want a playbook!
    Last edited by travaz; 10-06-10 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Typo
    10-06-10 08:17 PM
    What would sway you to the Torch, OP?

10-06-10 08:30 PM
    Yup thats correct. I might even settle for a 9700 for my Vibrant if they add some cash. Thats how bad I want to get back on board with BlackBerry.
    Welcome back. I don't think you should settle for the 9700. The Torch is vastly superior in my opinion.
    10-06-10 08:33 PM
    Agreed, OP. I went from my long-time trusty Pearl to an Android for about 3 months. I could barely get 9 hours use without recharging, and that was with all the settings as high as they would go for power-saving and hardly using the thing. LOVE my Torch. Just plugged it in for the first time in almost 3 days. It just feels better than the Android. Haven't tried an iPhone but I don't think I'll ever leave BB again!
    10-06-10 08:36 PM
    What would sway you to the Torch, OP?

Its BlackBerry, and has a nice screen with an awesome keyboard.

Played with one in the store...

I want the good ol BlackBerry OS.
    10-06-10 08:37 PM
    Be sure to update us wheb you have your Torch. Glad you are back.

10-06-10 08:43 PM
    I just today went back to a BB. I have tried several Androids and none of them "feel" right. I was hoping I could make it work until some of the new BB came to Sprint, but I just couldn't. The Androids just aren't reliable. Every one that I had did something odd or glitchy. Or an app would work on one phone, but on another it would make the sound quit working or something crazy like that. I am so glad that I am back to my BB! Good luck on getting a Torch!! I wish they had it for Sprint! Let us know when you get it!
    10-06-10 09:11 PM
    Interesting thread. I was seriously looking at the Captivate which I understand is pretty awesome but then I read things that suggest it not as user friendly or quite as good as a BB from a utility perspective. Sure would like that great screen though which would require a bigger cpu but then the battery life would suffer...can't have it all I guess.
    10-06-10 11:07 PM
    welcome back. I have seen many of my friends find out the same thing.
    10-07-10 12:05 AM
    Interesting thread. I was seriously looking at the Captivate which I understand is pretty awesome but then I read things that suggest it not as user friendly or quite as good as a BB from a utility perspective. Sure would like that great screen though which would require a bigger cpu but then the battery life would suffer...can't have it all I guess.
    Oh the Vibrants screen is amazing. But the price you pay for that is so not worth it.

On avg, if I used my phone like I used BlackBerry 9700 when I had it, I would get 6 hours of battery life at the very most.

Where as the 9700 I used to have would get me by the entire day from morning to bed time easily with no low battery indication.

The Android OS on the Galaxy is clunky. You really have to modify the phone a ton to make it run the way it should. I would spend hours tweaking it...

I actually ended up buying 2 spare batteries from Ebay for my Vibrant...

Because its impossible to get through the day for me.
    10-07-10 02:44 AM
    Android is still buggy imo. People love to try something new but will come back to something more right for them.
    10-07-10 03:13 AM
    Yup, sometimes it takes a hot affair to realise how good you have it at home......

.....Or so I've been told....

I have never considered a Droid, although I WAS tempted by an iPhone. Came back on the 29th day...

10-07-10 03:23 AM
    Yup, sometimes it takes a hot affair to realise how good you have it at home......
    haha I see what you did there...

Its like, you dont know what you have, until its gone.

I will get my Torch, soon enough
    10-07-10 03:58 AM
    I too miss bb and I can't really explain why.

Here is the run down of the droid x coming from a storm 2 user.

Huge screen is awesome
    Its pretty fast, still lags a tiny bit here and there but not nearly as much as the storm 2.
    the browser is amazing. Blows bb away
    Google maps is much better than the bb one

Texting on it sux. Every other letter is a typo
    The os is just so so. Its weird and not nearly as simple as bb. Have to download 'loaders' to make it do what you want.
    New texts don't come to the top of the list. You must scroll through tons of old messages to find the new one.
    It crashes, freezes, loses internet connection, etc. Just like the storm 2 does. Yes you still have to battery pull.
    battery life is horrid. You might as well cary a charger around in your pocket.
    The volume sux. Most of the time you can't hear your phone ring.
    The camera sux. I don't care if it has more megapixels. It takes ****ty pictures and video. My storm 2 took way better pics hands down.

So yeah. Its faster and has a huge screen and good web browsing but that's about where the good stuff ends.

What I want is a bb os with an android browser and a physical keyboard and a faster processor. Now that would be a perfect phone.
    10-07-10 04:34 AM
    Android is still buggy imo. People love to try something new but will come back to something more right for them.
    Blackberry's aren't buggy? OK.
    10-07-10 05:24 AM
    I am extremely curious as to why Android just simply doesn't appeal to me. Something just doesn't feel quite right.
    I'm going to be seeing my sister in law this weekend, she just got one of those devices with the adjective name....you know, one of those AMAZinG, AwEsome, INcREDIblE....whatever...names. I'll put in some quality time with it. See why Android just doesn't MAKE me want to buy one the way Blackberries do.

10-07-10 05:53 AM
    Interesting post...I am a Blackberry Bold 9000 user (2 years) and was looking to upgrade. 2 phones came to mind: Blackberry Torch or the Samsung Captivate.

You are right that the Captivate is flashy...lots of bells and whistles and the screen is amazing so that has me swaying. I played with both the Torch and the Captivate and am still undecided. Thanks for sharing your experiences..
    10-07-10 07:08 AM
    Blackberry's aren't buggy? OK.
    Blackberry are buggy but not to a consumer standpoint where android is noticeable. Everyone I know that tried an Android claim it's has too many flaws enough to make a standpoint. Blackberry and iPhones have flaws too but not enough for the general consumers to care.
    10-07-10 11:27 AM
    Blackberry are buggy but not to a consumer standpoint where android is noticeable. Everyone I know that tried an Android claim it's has too many flaws enough to make a standpoint. Blackberry and iPhones have flaws too but not enough for the general consumers to care.
    +1 - Android is less refined IMHO than BBOS or iOS. Android allows a much greater level of control if you want to hack the heck out of everything including the kernel. BBOS and iOS are much more refined for the mass market, though more restrictive.

More freedom in this case means a greater ability to customize but much easier to break things.
    Less freedom means less options for customization but greater stability.

When it comes to devices like a cell phone, I tend to value stability over openness so long as the device is a useful tool, and the limitations for customizing it are not burdensome. So far I find the Torch to be a great fit.
    10-07-10 12:29 PM
    I am a newbie but a long long time lurker. I have owned many blackberrys but recently thought that andoid was the way to go as many. I am a t-mobile customer and most days I am happy. But the coverage around here is sometime spotty, and the 3G is terrible, non existant in most of MN. A verizon rep convinced me to try them, making me believe there coverage was better and 3g was as well. I kept blackberrys at t-mobile due to uma because that is all that is reliable at home. Some network signal but very little. But the verizon rep convinced me I would have 3G in my home, and the android would be the cat's ***.

Well as it turned out, no 3g in my home, only 1 bar of service that dissapeared when I tried to make a call. And the 2 android phones I tired were not for me. I had the orginal droid for about 2 weeks, and the incredible for 3 weeks. I got verizon to extend my trial period since I switched phones due to lack of signal. I never closed my t-moblie account because I wasn't sure I would switch. So verizon was not better for me than t-mobile. When I have t-mobile 3 g it is 1.5 times faster than verizon. But when I had signal verizonwas mostly 3g.

My impression of the android phones were that same as many of yours. I switched because I use the internet more and more for my job when away from home. The android phones accel at internet useage. But that is in my opion. For communication the BB is king. Phone calls, emails, txt, inst. message you cannot beat the BB. Ease of use the android does not come close either. The BB is very forgiving and soild. The android phones in my opion are kind of like a high maintenance wife. They require alot of engergy (battery consumption) to look real nice. The BB is kind of like the girl next door. Maybe not as hot, but will perform better and get you to the same place for far less engergy and $$.

I will stick with my bold for now. I would really like a torch for the larger screen. It was real nice to have the large screen to look at the internet pages I need to see when on the road. If only the torch had UMA I would buy one. Hopefully t-mobile will have a large screen blackberry in the near future.

I also find that the touch screen keyboard is not all it is cracked up to be. I keep telling myself that it was just a learning curve with the incredible. But I never learned to like the touch screen keyboard. My fat fingers cause problems with the small BB keys, but I have gotten use to that over the years. And battery consumption is terrible with the androids as well. I get can 3 days out of my bold, I was lucky to get 3/4 out of both androids. As soon as I got in the door I need to charge them.

So I will be staying away from andriod for the forseeable future, in my opion they have a way to go, to compare to a BB. From my experience with the torch, it is the best of both world when it comes to a device today.
    Last edited by Skidooman93; 10-07-10 at 07:13 PM.
    10-07-10 01:28 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD