BB 10 is nowhere close and I don't know if I will like it and if it will be bug free... I've tried an iPhone 4S for a month and all my emails were late about 10 minutes compared to my BB. I did have to type slow to put up with the keyboard too. I got a used 9360, my 9900 kept on freezing so I sold it. Got tired of reloading the OS. The SIII looks like a good mix between a BB and an iPhone.
    09-09-12 11:32 AM
    Generally speaking, the consensus in the mobile industry is that the Samsung Galaxy S III is the best Android device currently available.
    09-09-12 11:55 AM
    Some people don't much like the native keyboard of the S3. But being Android, there are a boatload of alternative keyboards available to install. Everything else about the S3 I find amazing and beyond reproach. It's the most feature-rich smartphone ever created, in my opinion. I'll be inline for the S5 for being so happy with the S3. Two-year contract, one Galaxy model per year - by the time my upgrade is ready, the S5 will be out.
    09-09-12 01:53 PM
    Yes, its that good! I was a long time BB user and just made the switch to the S3. Once I got used to it (and there is definitely a learning curve) I highly doubt I'll go back to BB. The S3 does everything better and faster than my 9810.
    As mentioned above, switch the keyboard to either Swiftkey 3 or Swype Beta (I prefer Swype Beta) and you'll never miss the physical keyboard.
    09-09-12 03:24 PM
    I have owned RIM device from the 8310 to the 9900. The promise of BB10 and the qwerty physical keyboard were the only things preventing me from transitioning to Android. I felt that I could not wait any longer for RIM to produce a BB10 device with the great hardware and horsepower to match and that app developers had lost patience with RIM. I knew that I did not want the i4s while a very nice device, it goes against my personal need to decide what works best for me and not have a pre-packaged closed ecosystem where the learning curve is less steep.

My choices came down to the GS3 and the HOX. The HOX while it has a great display, it is still a closed ecosystem and the Sense skin overlay of ICS was not as intuitive and not as focused on the user experience as the TouchWiz skin overlay of ICS. The GS3 has 2 GB of RAM with a great processor that makes mult-tasking more productive and Web browsing that more enjoyable. The GS3 has Smart Stay and Video PopOut as well as a better video and camera. It makes media sharing so easy. It has S Voice which needs a bit of fine-tuning. It will support up to a 64 GB micro sdxc card and has a removable battery. The video gallery has mini-thumbnails of your videos instead of still snapshots of them.

There are a number of comparison videos between the GS3 and the HOX on Heels and Tech, PhoneArena, Mobile Tech Review, Phonedog, Android Authority and Android Central that give enough information for you to decide. One thing that most folks have not pointed out is look at which manufacturer that Apple has the most litigation activity with. More importantly, go into a store and give each one a thorough test drive.
    Last edited by jcp007; 09-09-12 at 09:51 PM.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    09-09-12 09:43 PM
    Right now I wouldn't be buying either a SGS3 or any HTC device...

This is the wrong time to be buying a new device unless you are buying a used one off contract (and the used SGS3's still cost way, way too much).
    09-10-12 02:17 PM
    Right now I wouldn't be buying either a SGS3 or any HTC device...

This is the wrong time to be buying a new device unless you are buying a used one off contract (and the used SGS3's still cost way, way too much).
    When should I get the S3? After the iPhone 5 is announced? Maybe the S3 will go down in price. I will pay full retail for it but I did well selling my iPhone 4S that I didnt like.
    09-10-12 05:02 PM
    HTC event on the 19th, iphone 5 launch, new Samsung device launches. I would wait a bit.
    09-10-12 06:14 PM
    Yeah, plus a new Nexus should be out soon.
    09-10-12 07:04 PM
    Perhaps wait until the Note 2 hit the shelves. Maybe that might drive the price down just a little in the used phone market? Who knows.

I have been using a S3 for a couple of days now. Of course now I'm back on my BB.

Its a great device. The physical size of the phone is not that big for a phone with 4.8" screen. Of course media is definitely great. My country is selling the quad core version with 1gb of RAM and I'll definitely take 2gb of RAM over quad core.

Battery life is surprisingly decent too. It has notification lights as well which is nice. Typing is a breeze if you have swiftkey 3. Its miles faster than any physical keyboard I've used, even a 9900. So I'm super glad that BB10 will be licensing their predictive input engine. Its nice to hold in the hand too, easy to slide in and out of pockets since its so slim.

I use primarily gmail so setting it up as an exchange account pretty much ensures that my emails are instant as well. Though I still prefer a unified inbox, for all my stuffs (whatsapp, bbm, sms, fb, twitter, etc). As far as I know only RIM is doing this.

Customisation is awesome even without custom ROMs. You can pretty much customise it to your liking.

The interesting thing that bothered me was the lag when I hit the unlock key. At times there would be like a 1 second delay. Similar to the galaxy note I've had. Jelly bean should be out officially soon and that should bring the smoothness up a notch.

So yeah, I would say its one of the best Android device out there at the moment.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    09-10-12 07:26 PM
    The Note has quite a bit of lag for some reason... It's a lot worse than it should be.

The HTC One S I have is easily 5x smoother in general operation than the Note...
    09-10-12 07:34 PM
    The U. S. version was powered by a Snapdragon S3 which isn't all too fast. The Note II (quad-core Exynos most likely, if not the Snapdragon S4 is a lot better than the S3) should remedy that.
    09-10-12 09:35 PM
    deff that good. I too have been a bb user from the 8300 to the 9810. Like others, I just wasn't willing to wait on a device that was promised, and a day later delayed. It was somewhat a matter of principle. The Gs3 is a remarkable device. Email (gmail) is instantaneous. The GS3 does everything any bb did/does..and some things better.
    The ONE thing you can't do is click an sms as unread.
    It plays well with outlook, just in a different way.
    I don't see bb10 working better FOR ME. I will keep an open mind and bb will always be dear to me but.... I believe I'm a droidjunkie now.....
    09-10-12 09:38 PM
    The U. S. version was powered by a Snapdragon S3 which isn't all too fast. The Note II (quad-core Exynos most likely, if not the Snapdragon S4 is a lot better than the S3) should remedy that.
    Are you talking about the galaxy s3? Because the US version is most definitely using the Snapdragon S4.

Edit: never mind I see you were talking about the Note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    09-10-12 09:52 PM
    The Galaxy S3 is pretty darn fast and all US versions do use the Snapdragon S4!
    09-10-12 10:00 PM
    Yes, its that good! I was a long time BB user and just made the switch to the S3. Once I got used to it (and there is definitely a learning curve) I highly doubt I'll go back to BB. The S3 does everything better and faster than my 9810.
    As mentioned above, switch the keyboard to either Swiftkey 3 or Swype Beta (I prefer Swype Beta) and you'll never miss the physical keyboard.
    I have owned RIM device from the 8310 to the 9900. The promise of BB10 and the qwerty physical keyboard were the only things preventing me from transitioning to Android. I felt that I could not wait any longer for RIM to produce a BB10 device with the great hardware and horsepower to match and that app developers had lost patience with RIM. I knew that I did not want the i4s while a very nice device, it goes against my personal need to decide what works best for me and not have a pre-packaged closed ecosystem where the learning curve is less steep.

My choices came down to the GS3 and the HOX. The HOX while it has a great display, it is still a closed ecosystem and the Sense skin overlay of ICS was not as intuitive and not as focused on the user experience as the TouchWiz skin overlay of ICS. The GS3 has 2 GB of RAM with a great processor that makes mult-tasking more productive and Web browsing that more enjoyable. The GS3 has Smart Stay and Video PopOut as well as a better video and camera. It makes media sharing so easy. It has S Voice which needs a bit of fine-tuning. It will support up to a 64 GB micro sdxc card and has a removable battery. The video gallery has mini-thumbnails of your videos instead of still snapshots of them.

There are a number of comparison videos between the GS3 and the HOX on Heels and Tech, PhoneArena, Mobile Tech Review, Phonedog, Android Authority and Android Central that give enough information for you to decide. One thing that most folks have not pointed out is look at which manufacturer that Apple has the most litigation activity with. More importantly, go into a store and give each one a thorough test drive.
    I agree with both your comments. OP, try it out and decide if that's what you want. It is an awesome device. You've already had an OS 7 device, and you still have until next year until BB10s are launched (1st qtrish). I enjoy mine and don't have a problem with the size, I've had worse keyboards, and these comments from someone with numeous BlackBerries. Anyway, do your research and good luck!
    09-10-12 10:07 PM
    Its nice if you like a massive device that updates tiles you don't need for your pocket so it isn't bored.

Lol, get something you will use not something that is hyped up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-10-12 10:23 PM
    The HOX while it has a great display, it is still a closed ecosystem
    How so? You're comparing HTC to Samsung, correct?
    09-10-12 11:29 PM
    Its nice if you like a massive device that updates tiles you don't need for your pocket so it isn't bored.

Lol, get something you will use not something that is hyped up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Hyped up devices can be used as well.
    09-10-12 11:58 PM
    And I'll rather take the sgs3 than any bb device Android JUST WORKS also lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    09-11-12 02:08 AM
    Good catch. I mis-spoke. I meant that the uni-body design was closed in the sense that the battery door is not removable and the memory cannot be expanded. Sense also seems less focused on the user experience which should the focus or every device.
    09-11-12 05:06 PM
    Yeah but with stuff like the One X+ and who knows what else probably launching soon, I would wait...
    09-11-12 07:07 PM
    Yeah, the world of mobiles tends to be the busiest around christmas so I would still wait. I'm in the same boat.
    09-13-12 11:52 AM
    I couldn't resist temptation anymore and pulled the trigger on the S3 today. If something much better comes out around Christmas, I will just sell it and get something else but for now, the S3 is one of the best if not the best.
    09-13-12 09:13 PM
    Good thinking! Plus the worlds gonna end in December anyways
    09-13-12 09:28 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD