Still pondering a move to a G-Nexus and I've found in my research an issue where ICS apparently maintains the ringers and notification sounds at the same volume level.

I'm not sure of that, but my main question is...does anyone know a way to setup the G-Nexus to have sound profiles just like the BB's? I want to be able to touch an icon on the homescreen to change from a handful of different profiles where I can instantly change the ringtine and notification volume levels and sounds. I don't want my annoying text sound to be popping off at work, so I use a tamer notifcation tone at a softer volume at work than at home, etc.

Is this possible with ICS?

Thanks in advance!
    02-02-12 08:40 AM
    Not sure if there is an app available for what you're looking for or not (tbh I've never looked). I know sound profiles can be accomplished in certain ROM's (such as CyanogenMod roms), so i'll say it CAN be done, but maybe not by a method you're interested in.
    02-02-12 08:48 AM
    Thanks Rickroller...I should have mentioned that I don't want to have to root the phone if possible.

Thanks for the help though.
    02-02-12 09:23 AM
    Sorry man..i was just being lazy. I just looked on the Market and found an app called Simple Sound Profile Widget. It's free..so i just downloaded it, and see that it has 4 standard profiles, Silent, Meeting, Normal, and Loud. It looks like each of those can be configured with different sounds (I haven't played with it yet though) and different volumes for each sound.

It's a widget, so it'll just be a "one hit" button on your homescreen to select the profile.
    Hope this helps

EDIT: Just tried it. I set up my "Normal' sound profile the same as always, and then set up a "Meeting" sound profile to only vibrate for phone, and very low volume for notifications. I then added this "Meeting" widget onto my homescreen..so if i was to go into a meeting, I'd just hit the widget and it would automatically put me into that set profile. The app has a 4.4 rating, and good reviews, so i'm guessing it works pretty good.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-02-12 at 09:34 AM.
    Toddzilla#WN likes this.
    02-02-12 09:29 AM
    Wow thanks for the extra effort! It is much appreciated.

This is the root of my concern:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ll-volume.html

There are apps to create sound profiles, but apparently some system set up in ICS prevents the ringer violume from being different than the Notifications. You had yours set with a vibrate ringer and still could get notifications...so I'm not sure what the issue is that is talked about in that thread.

Thanks again for your help!
    02-02-12 09:46 AM
    Wow thanks for the extra effort! It is much appreciated.

This is the root of my concern:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ll-volume.html

There are apps to create sound profiles, but apparently some system set up in ICS prevents the ringer violume from being different than the Notifications. You had yours set with a vibrate ringer and still could get notifications...so I'm not sure what the issue is that is talked about in that thread.

Thanks again for your help!
    Just did some actual testing of it (i'd hate for you to buy a phone and think the app works, and then find it doesn't, because someone *cough* me *cough* didn't actually test it out lol.

So I set a Meeting profile up..with my ringer on vibrate, and the "Notification" sound about halfway, and the "Media" volume off. I phoned myself, and the vibrate function worked. I sent a text to myself, and nothing..no sound. So I turned up the "Media" volume, and tried again, and Bingo!, quiet notification sound when I recieved my text.
    So for actual "Notifications" such as email, text, etc..it seems to be tied to the "Media" function of the app, and not the "Notifications"

So it does work! I can't promise it's as robust as the Blackberry sound profiles (it's been a year since I used a BB lol), but it does as advertised (and free..so even better )
    Toddzilla#WN likes this.
    02-02-12 10:04 AM
    Great! Thanks again for all the help...You've gone above and beyond!
    02-02-12 10:39 AM
    I use the SilentMode OnOff widget by curvefish. It only offers Sound, Vibrate, and Silent which is kind of what you're looking. The stock profiles don't offer all 3 unless you go into settings everytime.
    02-03-12 11:06 AM
    I know this is splitting hairs, but there is a method to my madness....do any of the solutions posed in this thread allow separate control of the notifier for email and the notifier for texts, like the BB profiler allows? I found that to be a very useful feature, as I receive emails all night long from overseas clients (and thus want to mute them during sleeping hours) but I still want my kids to be able to text/call me at any time of day or night - so my customized night profile on BB allows me to mute all notifiers except SMS and also enable the phone ringer....

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    05-10-12 12:46 PM
    I use an app called Quick Profiles (free). Its similar to how Blackberry does sound profiles. I have a normal, vibrate and sleep profile.
    Download the app and give it a try. For my sleep profile I only enable the ringer and mute everything else. You can set up something similar with text notifications enabled.
    05-10-12 03:21 PM
    I know this is splitting hairs, but there is a method to my madness....do any of the solutions posed in this thread allow separate control of the notifier for email and the notifier for texts, like the BB profiler allows? I found that to be a very useful feature, as I receive emails all night long from overseas clients (and thus want to mute them during sleeping hours) but I still want my kids to be able to text/call me at any time of day or night - so my customized night profile on BB allows me to mute all notifiers except SMS and also enable the phone ringer....

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    CM9 is your answer.
    05-10-12 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD