I've read in many forums that using a task killer can save your battery life quite a bit. Doesn't Froyo have a built in one?

If not any recommendations on a good one in the Android market?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    10-18-10 12:31 PM
    no there not.

task killers are one of the worst things you can install on your phone...

they kill battery life, slow down your phone and cause email and contact sync issues.

heres a nice explanation in detail on why they are so bad.
    FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android
    10-18-10 12:49 PM
    as been stated, do not install
    10-18-10 01:07 PM
    ATK are of the DEVIL, DO NOT INSTALL PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF BACON AND ALL THINGS PORK WE BEG OF THEE DO NOT INSTALL ATK !!!!!

Honestly they are not worth the battery drain, and constant fear of things closing down.

Android Phones are mini Linux Computers that can make phone calls, They do an awesome Job of memory management as it stands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 01:34 PM
    Let Android manage itself. This isn't a BB, you wont have memory leaks.

Task killer DO NOT save battery life. Android keeps certain apps in a sort of "sleep mode" so they have quick access when needed. Killing said apps are worthless because Android will ALWAYS keep opening them again.

Task killers do more harm than good. They are only useful if and app freezes and can't be force-closed.
    10-18-10 03:11 PM
    Task killers do more harm than good. They are only useful if and app freezes and can't be force-closed.
    \

Home button > setting > application > select the non running app > force closed

works like a charm....

10-18-10 03:48 PM
    \

Home button > setting > application > select the non running app > force closed

works like a charm....

Yes I know, but for those who are lazy, the task killer is a much faster way to get this done.

ATK> fc app...done. 2 steps. I use the traditional method you mentioned though. I refuse to even have a task killer app on my device.
    10-18-10 03:53 PM
    Yes I know, but for those who are lazy, the task killer is a much faster way to get this done.

ATK> fc app...done. 2 steps. I use the traditional method you mentioned though. I refuse to even have a task killer app on my device.
    i'm talking about frozen applications. I'm well aware that you know whats going on.

10-18-10 04:36 PM
    Many Task Killers also conflict with Froyo 2.2, as others stated before me, do not install them...
    10-21-10 02:32 PM
    What about Advanced task manager? I installed that and My Evo hasnt slowed down a bit.
    10-21-10 08:42 PM
    What about Advanced task manager? I installed that and My Evo hasnt slowed down a bit.

Its one of the worst. It wont always slow the phone down but it does always cause more battery drain then not running it.
    10-21-10 10:49 PM
    It is a task killer. Any task killer is not recommended period. They really do more harm than good. Plus, when the task killer craze for Android began, so many people got addicted to constantly killing apps with the the one click widgets.

Task killers cause cancer.
    10-22-10 01:21 PM
    as stated Android Phone are mini Linux computers, which are one of the few TRUE Multitasking capable computer platforms out there. There is no need for it. They handle it just well on their own.

Swapper2 is okay, Advanced Memory Manager is okay, Task Killers is BAD!!!!

Regardless of what Store Front Sales men recommend do not do it. You have people like Cyanogen and the people @ XDA who are begging you not to use them. These people play with Android for a hobby, day in and day out. They know more than any store front paid salesmen out there.....

10-22-10 02:13 PM
    And just to reinforce mjneid's points about how bad Task Killer's are you should listen to the latest Podcast from Android Central: Android Central Podcast Episode 35... they explain in much the same language mjneid does.
    10-22-10 06:41 PM
    Samsung released an update for the Galaxy S which not only fixed the GPS issues but also included some nice additional apps, such as a native task killer. It's much more user friendly and simple to use by setting up a widget on the home screen.
    10-24-10 12:37 PM
    Samsung released an update for the Galaxy S which not only fixed the GPS issues but also included some nice additional apps, such as a native task killer. It's much more user friendly and simple to use by setting up a widget on the home screen.
    Why would Samsung do that?!?!?! It's not needed ! ! ! ! AHHHHHHHH

*** Runs around screaming ***

10-25-10 08:42 AM
    I had a few friends on T-Mo who installed the update and it bricked their device...
    10-25-10 08:48 AM
    On my Epic, I just hold down the home button, press TASK MANAGER and select ACTIVE APPLICATIONS. It tells me what is running and allows me to close it. Would I need more than that?
    10-25-10 08:54 AM
    On my Epic, I just hold down the home button, press TASK MANAGER and select ACTIVE APPLICATIONS. It tells me what is running and allows me to close it. Would I need more than that?
    No, the Android platform has a native way to see what is running and close what you want. It's harmless to the OS or the hardware. But ATKs are different story.

10-25-10 08:57 AM

I think the sgs one just toggles the stock built in os settings. It is harmless. The partitioned ram doesn't allow for a free 5++ mhz of memory (we all know) I could be wrong, but when running several apps, it would get a little slow for me, and when I killed off the mutilate apps, eureka. I think android works best when manufactures give it appropriate ram.
    10-25-10 09:50 AM
    I think the sgs one just toggles the stock built in os settings. It is harmless. The partitioned ram doesn't allow for a free 5++ mhz of memory (we all know) I could be wrong, but when running several apps, it would get a little slow for me, and when I killed off the mutilate apps, eureka. I think android works best when manufactures give it appropriate ram.
    Well sure. I think that has something to do with the G2 being so stinking fast... it has two 4GB chips in it. i don't know for sure but i wouldn't be surprised if one was for the OS and such and one was strictly running the phone... like having a Solid State MotherBoard and HardDrive and having ample RAM to run it.

10-25-10 09:58 AM
    Yeah, that phone is sick!
    10-25-10 10:02 AM
    The sgs has a 1/2 gig split for the os, and the video. One reason I took mine back. Whats a 540 gpu without appropriate ram? I think 3/4 gigs of ram, and 1/3 dedicated video would solve issues I was having. I would have paid another 50 for it.
    10-25-10 10:07 AM
    I had a few friends on T-Mo who installed the update and it bricked their device...
    Haven't seen a one do it yet.
    10-25-10 11:40 AM

Nothing about any of our phones are needed, we got along just fine before them and would continue to've done so. As from an operational standpoint neither is it unnecessary, it's just an addition that's nice for those who want to micro-manage their phone.
    10-25-10 11:44 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD