For anyone who's "feeling left out" of the new gestures on BB10, i'd suggest trying GMD Gesture Control app. It's a paid app (with a lite version) for rooted users only, but you can customize your phone with a plethora of gestures including those like the BB10 has. I recently customized mine with the Up from bottom swipe to bring me to the Home screen, Up and right gesture to show my notification bar (like Peeking), Up and left to go "Back", and a custom gesture for my Multitask button. You can set things like turning your phone off with gestures, settings like Wifi or Auto rotate, pretty much anything really. I'll also point out that these gestures are useable anywhere, in any app.

Running a custom ROM i'm able to hide all my Navigation buttons excluding the Home button (although I can do that with GMD as well) but because the Navigation bar is needed in things like Phone calls and whatnot, I won't disable it permanently (although there are ways to do that as well). For those that want to see what it's like to run on gestures only, it's definately worth a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mVjb250cm9sIl0.
    Tre Lawrence and austriker like this.
    02-10-13 11:37 AM
    For anyone who's "feeling left out" of the new gestures on BB10, i'd suggest trying GMD Gesture Control app. It's a paid app (with a lite version) for rooted users only, but you can customize your phone with a plethora of gestures including those like the BB10 has. I recently customized mine with the Up from bottom swipe to bring me to the Home screen, Up and right gesture to show my notification bar (like Peeking), Up and left to go "Back", and a custom gesture for my Multitask button. You can set things like turning your phone off with gestures, settings like Wifi or Auto rotate, pretty much anything really. I'll also point out that these gestures are useable anywhere, in any app.

Running a custom ROM i'm able to hide all my Navigation buttons excluding the Home button (although I can do that with GMD as well) but because the Navigation bar is needed in things like Phone calls and whatnot, I won't disable it permanently (although there are ways to do that as well). For those that want to see what it's like to run on gestures only, it's definately worth a look.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mVjb250cm9sIl0.
    Can you wake your screen with a swipe without pressing the physical power button? That would be the cherry on top.
    This is what's making it so hard for me to consider leaving android. You can literally take almost any features a competing OS introduces and reicate it
    02-12-13 08:08 PM
    Can you wake your screen with a swipe without pressing the physical power button? That would be the cherry on top.
    This is what's making it so hard for me to consider leaving android. You can literally take almost any features a competing OS introduces and reicate it
    I haven't found a way to wake the device with a gesture.. But I can turn it off with one. I'm guessing you would either need a mod or some type of rom with that incorporated into it.

It really is amazing that one app can pretty much simulate everything cool gesture wise about BB10. I redid my gestures for a more natural feel. From my left border I swipe right and that is my "back" button. From right to left (on the right border) opens my multitasking panel, and up swipe still takes me home (and "peek gesture opens notification bar).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Rickroller; 02-13-13 at 02:41 PM.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    02-12-13 08:40 PM
    Sweet, this might lure me towards an Optimus G in a couple weeks if nothing better gets announced at MWC, thanks
    02-12-13 08:46 PM
    Absolutely brilliant application. This is why I love android. Thanks for the recommendation. Just bought the paid version. Absolutely excellent.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-19-13 07:08 PM
    For those that aren't rooted, Nova Prime Launcher has "gesture" controls included for all apps, all shortcuts, and other controls (toggle notification bar, expand notifications, recent apps, toggle dock, search, etc). The gestures are pinch in, pinch out, swipe up, swipe down, double tap, two finger swipe up, two finger swipe down, rotate two fingers clockwise, and rotate two fingers counter clockwise. Again, if you want gesture controls and aren't rooted this is an alternative to the OP's app suggestion.
    02-24-13 07:57 AM
    For those that aren't rooted, Nova Prime Launcher has "gesture" controls included for all apps, all shortcuts, and other controls (toggle notification bar, expand notifications, recent apps, toggle dock, search, etc). The gestures are pinch in, pinch out, swipe up, swipe down, double tap, two finger swipe up, two finger swipe down, rotate two fingers clockwise, and rotate two fingers counter clockwise. Again, if you want gesture controls and aren't rooted this is an alternative to the OP's app suggestion.
    So does apex.

I have swipe up enabled to open Google now and swipe down for the app drawer (have the dock hidden and am using wave launcher for my widgets and lmt pie for quick app selection)

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
    tsells likes this.
    02-24-13 09:39 AM
    The number of swipe gesture multitasking apps has almost doubled recently in popularity. I'm speaking of the ones that can be invoked with swipes even from within other open apps. There were already a few, but those are somewhat ugly looking, like Wave and Swipepad. But 3 new ones have been popping up that imitate the Ubuntu Phone OS sidebar, and I've personally tried all 3 and think they're really well done: Swapps, Glovebox, and Sidebar Pro. Swapps is my personal favorite because it also allows a working list of recently used apps so you don't even have to push the jellybean multitasking button (although that method still has a better interface on jellybean but I'm still using the lousy 2.3 multitasking). At the rate these apps are growing there's little to no reason to switch from Android's superior app selection just to get Ubuntu Phone OS swipe gestures now. And of course as Rick has already pointed out, if you're rooted, which is painfully easy these days, and running ICS or above, GMD lets you do it all.
    02-25-13 08:41 AM
    Yep, been using gestures for a while via Nova, but I might give GMD a try.
    02-25-13 08:48 AM
    Yep, been using gestures for a while via Nova, but I might give GMD a try.
    The thing with Nova and other launchers like it is their gestures only work when used on homescreens, but not when an app is open on your screen is that correct? What you'll like about the alternatives listed above is that not only can you use the gestures even when you have an app open on your screen, but they run alongside your launcher. Meaning you can use launchers like Nova and have these apps giving you swipe gesture multitasking

The only catch is that these apps require you to keep them in memory in order to work. I can tell you from my experience using them on my sadly outdated Atrix 4G that the footprint is so small you won't notice any performance hit.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-25-13 08:57 AM
    The number of swipe gesture multitasking apps has almost doubled recently in popularity. I'm speaking of the ones that can be invoked with swipes even from within other open apps. There were already a few, but those are somewhat ugly looking, like Wave and Swipepad. But 3 new ones have been popping up that imitate the Ubuntu Phone OS sidebar, and I've personally tried all 3 and think they're really well done: Swapps, Glovebox, and Sidebar Pro. Swapps is my personal favorite because it also allows a working list of recently used apps so you don't even have to push the jellybean multitasking button (although that method still has a better interface on jellybean but I'm still using the lousy 2.3 multitasking). At the rate these apps are growing there's little to no reason to switch from Android's superior app selection just to get Ubuntu Phone OS swipe gestures now. And of course as Rick has already pointed out, if you're rooted, which is painfully easy these days, and running ICS or above, GMD lets you do it all.
    I've been recently using Sidebar Pro and am really happy with it. There are some things that would be better with it, such as customizable icons, allowing the rearranging of icons and whatnot, but overall combined with GMD it's the ultimate minimalist's tool.

02-25-13 09:09 AM
    As a former Pre user (well current webos as well since I own a Pixi Plus and Touch pad), I don't think Wave launcher is ugly. At all. It's what I've missed most about webos (well and the cards). Plus being able to put my widgets into it instead of on the home screen, especially power amp, is so much more convenient. I can access my widgets from anywhere.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
    02-25-13 09:11 AM
    I've been recently using Sidebar Pro and am really happy with it. There are some things that would be better with it, such as customizable icons, allowing the rearranging of icons and whatnot, but overall combined with GMD it's the ultimate minimalist's tool.

Minimalism is a HUGE draw for me.
    02-25-13 09:21 AM
    Minimalism is a HUGE draw for me.
    Here's my Home screen with only 4 apps (Whatsapp, SMS, Browser and Gmail):

And then with one gesture and Sidebar Pro, I have all my other necessities close at hand:

Of course I also have hidden docks thanks to Nova Launcher with a few other apps I use (Maps, YouTube, Netflix etc) all within 1 swipe.

02-25-13 12:40 PM
    Does this mean BB did something first? 'Droid users want to use their phone like a BB?
    Droid can't do this right outta the box?

Please don't take offense, I'm just kidding around about phones. Happy ROM-flashing.
    02-26-13 03:19 PM
    Does this mean BB did something first? 'Droid users want to use their phone like a BB?
    Droid can't do this right outta the box?

Please don't take offense, I'm just kidding around about phones. Happy ROM-flashing.
    Meego webOS what? Let us know when you're done with those fanboy goggles.

Just kidding bro, happy side loading. LOL
    02-26-13 04:05 PM
    Just found an app that wakes the device without pressing a button, although it's only for the Galaxy Nexus. It's called PGM and works awesome so far.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51cnkucGdtMiJd
    02-26-13 05:36 PM
    im using tsf shell launcher which comes with a customisable left side bar and options for gestures but im not sure if they work in apps or not as i dont use them
    02-26-13 06:42 PM
    Just found an app that wakes the device without pressing a button, although it's only for the Galaxy Nexus. It's called PGM and works awesome so far.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51cnkucGdtMiJd
    Nexus only? C'mon.... LOL
    02-26-13 07:09 PM
    Nexus only? C'mon.... LOL
    Lol..I know *shrug*. I stumbled across it in the Note 2 forums from someone requesting it. It's a kernel tweak, so i'm not sure how hard it would be for devs to port, or if there is something similiar already out there for all devices..
    02-26-13 07:22 PM
    Lol..I know *shrug*. I stumbled across it in the Note 2 forums from someone requesting it. It's a kernel tweak, so i'm not sure how hard it would be for devs to port, or if there is something similiar already out there for all devices..
    Update:

Been satisfied with my set-up, but just flashed Komodo kernel with built-in gestures. Slide2wake, slide2sleep and more:

Sweep2sleep: with screen on, swipe right to left to turn screen off
    Sweep2power: with screen on, swipe left to right for power menu (simulated 2.5 second power button hold)
    Sweep2snap: with screen on: swipe left to right and press Home within 2 seconds for a screen snap
    Sweep2wake: with screen off: swipe left to right to turn screen on (disabled by default for better battery life)
    Phantom volume down: with screen on, touch between back and home for vol-down one notch
    Phantom volume up: with screen on, touch between home and recent apps for vol-up one notch
    Sweep2mute: with screen on, swipe from home to back for vol full down (vibrate)
    Sweep2loud: with screen on, swipe from home to recent apps for max volume
    Sweep2skipback: with screen off, swipe from home to back to skip back a track (when listening to music)
    Sweep2skipforward: with screen off, swipe from home to recent apps to skip forward a track (when listening to music)
    Sweep2deepsleep: with screen off, swipe from right to left to temporarily disable sweeps while screen is off (until screen is turned back on: prevents pocket sweeps)
    Love BB10 gestures; this allows me to retire hardware buttons. Wonder how it would compare to PGM.
    05-02-13 09:08 AM