https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...oice-control#/

For those who are interested, the F(x) Tec team is bringing a variant of their Pro 1 but this time with either Lineage OS/Ubuntu/Android, 256GB of storage and a blue paint job.

The early bird price is $599.
    Last edited by the_boon; 10-27-20 at 09:27 AM.
    anon(5597702) and Trouveur like this.
    10-27-20 09:14 AM
    10-27-20 09:20 AM

For those who are interested, the F(x) Tec team is bringing a variant of their Pro 1 but this time with dual boot Lineage OS/Android out of the box, 256GB of storage and a blue paint job.

It's not dual-boot. You choose which of the three OSes you want installed on the first run.

"Either"
    10-27-20 09:23 AM
    It's not dual-boot. You choose which of the three OSes you want installed on the first run.
    [IMG=540x144]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201027/516dbceb0292d994ed87c2247eb23d6b.jpg[/url]
    "Either"
    Fixed
    10-27-20 09:27 AM
    It's not dual-boot. You choose which of the three OSes you want installed on the first run
    And on top of that, it's still a form factor that goes back to the very old days of the original Nokia Communicator, and this is not a design that really caught on.
    10-27-20 12:15 PM
    And on top of that, it's still a form factor that goes back to the very old days of the original Nokia Communicator, and this is not a design that really caught on.
    Thus the sales in the 5K - 15K range..... but as long as they can make money and offer support, and owners are fine with what they get - that's all that matters.

Say they working on Windows... but Windows on ARM???
    10-27-20 01:07 PM

For those who are interested, the F(x) Tec team is bringing a variant of their Pro 1 but this time with either Lineage OS/Ubuntu/Android, 256GB of storage and a blue paint job.

It’s the using of the same 3 reviews to make it seem like they got lots of customer feedback for me
    LOL had a good chuckle

Interesting setup though.
    10-27-20 04:39 PM
    For typing with your thumbs on the go, I think the only option is a BlackBerry. Landscape is too spread out.

Planet Computers Psion style is pretty nice for finger typing on such a small keyboard, though.
    bb_bunny likes this.
    10-27-20 06:12 PM
    Sounds good, I would hop on it if I wasn't hoping for the 5G BlackBerry.
    10-27-20 08:01 PM
    For typing with your thumbs on the go, I think the only option is a BlackBerry. Landscape is too spread out.

Planet Computers Psion style is pretty nice for finger typing on such a small keyboard, though.
    Landscape doesn't have to be too spread out, but ideally should be on a device sized like the iPhone 12 Mini
    10-27-20 08:09 PM
    I still think the cramped blackberry is fastest and most comfortable. :X
    idssteve likes this.
    10-28-20 04:51 PM

what about how long it takes to get one?
    10-28-20 06:17 PM
    I still think the cramped blackberry is fastest and most comfortable. :X
    haha, "cramped" is in hand of the beholder... lol MY fastest ever mobile wpm has been achieved on relatively tiny 9650! next fastest on slightly larger 9900. Then next on slightly larger Q. Then much slower on much larger Classic. then Passport. then slowest on hugest K1. k1 proved slower than even mediocre huge dtek60 slab! in MY hand, at least.

Longer travel distance between keys makes for longer travel time between keys. Simple 8th grade physics. Travel times cumulative over HOW many CPM?. Lol. In MY hand, at least. Notably correlative...

Larger PKBs result in slower wpm. Almost proportionally as size increases. Under MY thumb at least. Interestingly correlative with sales numbers for each larger pkb attempt, as well.

All pointing back to motives for PKB in the first place? Typing performance including wpm? ??? Why would typing performance prioritized pkb enthusiasts surrender a faster pkb typing experience in exchange for a slower pkb experience? Especially K1's demonstrably slower experience than even mediocre slabs? ???

Clearly, they didn't. Evidenced by sales performance, at least. The screen size vs wpm vs sales performance curves overlay with striking similarity.

One thing about "cramped" keyboards... Investing effort to refine a thumb TIP technique can prove rewarding. Further refinement into thumb NAIL technique can prove most rewarding. Especially making "cramped" 9650 pkb seem wonderfully huge!

Guess I never understood motives behind landscape sliders...? Is the intention to type on them with 10 fingers? Or?? My brief attempts at thumbing on the ones I've tried proved pretty miserable. Just grasping the things while thumbing seemed a skill beyond MY set. Lol.

Just never managed to use them for mobile typing? Mobile typing defined as typing while in motion? Motion as in walking?? SOME of us DO type and walk at the same time, after all. Lol. MY definition of "mobile typing", at least. Lol.

Otherwise, I don't see how anything using ten fingers can do so without a lap, or a table, to rest on? ?? Devices that demand laps or desks typically fall under laptop or desktop categories, in MY categorization scheme, at least... Maybe very tiny, and very portable, laptops & desktops but walking "mobile"? ?? idk. .
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-29-20 at 04:26 AM.
    10-29-20 04:15 AM
    Shouldn't have to wait nearly as long as most the original backers.... four or five months at most.

Sadly this most likely means there isn't a Pro-2 in the works for any time soon.
    10-29-20 07:13 AM
    Shouldn't have to wait nearly as long as most the original backers.... four or five months at most.

Sadly this most likely means there isn't a Pro-2 in the works for any time soon.
    10-29-20 07:13 AM

So one would get this sometime in 2021 and it is running a chip that was used in 2017 smartphones (Snapdragon 835)? Yikes, that’s even worse than the Microsoft Surface Duo situation.

It’s a nice idea this device but even a hobbyist can’t fully appreciate it given its outdated hardware.
    10-29-20 11:24 AM
    So one would get this sometime in 2021 and it is running a chip that was used in 2017 smartphones (Snapdragon 835)? Yikes, that’s even worse than the Microsoft Surface Duo situation.

It’s a nice idea this device but even a hobbyist can’t fully appreciate it given its outdated hardware.
    If BBMo could do it, so can others. Although, 8XX is technically better than 6XX, right? LMAO
    10-29-20 11:27 AM
    If BBMo could do it, so can others. Although, 8XX is technically better than 6XX, right? LMAO
    I'd take a new 690 over the 835 though.

https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...snapdragon-835
    10-29-20 11:55 AM

It was a great idea when they launched in in Feb2019.... if they had produced it and delivered it in the same time frame that Unihertz did the Titan (four month).

Even the XDA people don't understand it....
    10-29-20 11:56 AM
    haha, "cramped" is in hand of the beholder... lol MY fastest ever mobile wpm has been achieved on relatively tiny 9650! next fastest on slightly larger 9900. Then next on slightly larger Q. Then much slower on much larger Classic. then Passport. then slowest on hugest K1. k1 proved slower than even mediocre huge dtek60 slab! in MY hand, at least.
    . .
    I meant cramped in a good way.

For on-the-go typing and 80% of a mobile’s use case it’s so nice and there is no substitute. I didn’t have a big issue with the K1 or K2 LE’s. Sure, my Q10, 9900, and even Q5 were better, but the K1/2 are still far better than landscape thumb boards.

I strangely liked the PlanetComputer’s Gemini board, though. Pretty bad for holding and typing, but once you plopped that bad boy on a table/chair/lap it all made sense and felt really nice*

(*except for their ****ed up ‘v’ placement on their Dvorak layout. **** you, Planet Computers, this is why I’m not getting your Astro Slide ... I can forgive the Gemini bricking, but why on earth would you put one of the 27 letters of the ******* alphabet on a 4th row of a keyboard you dumb ****s?!
    /rant)
    10-29-20 02:34 PM
    I meant cramped in a good way.
    For on-the-go typing and 80% of a mobile’s use case it’s so nice and there is no substitute. I didn’t have a big issue with the K1 or K2 LE’s. Sure, my Q10, 9900, and even Q5 were better, but the K1/2 are still far better than landscape thumb boards.
    I strangely liked the PlanetComputer’s Gemini board, though. Pretty bad for holding and typing, but once you plopped that bad boy on a table/chair/lap it all made sense and felt really nice*
    (*except for their ****ed up ‘v’ placement on their Dvorak layout. **** you, Planet Computers, this is why I’m not getting your Astro Slide ... I can forgive the Gemini bricking, but why on earth would you put one of the 27 letters of the ******* alphabet on a 4th row of a keyboard you dumb ****s?!
    /rant)
    Lol... Maybe the KB language wasn't the kb designers' "first language"...?? Lol. Hard to out guess, otherwise. Lol.

As an engineer, I frequently shake my head at some pretty rampant engineering malpractice perpetrated routinely. If you or I were practicing medicine, or law, or other professions without a license, you can bet some licensing authority somewhere would be all over us for practicing said profession without a licence. Yet, politicians, attorneys, bureaucrats, mba's, etc, etc continually malpractice engineering without even rudimentary comprehension of basic physics! Let alone ANYthing resembling "scientific method"... Lol.

DON'T get me started.... Hehe...

Dvorak's premise pretty much centers on a "home" row. That's fine for ten finger typing. Well quantified benefits... For TEN fingers. I have yet to quantify an identifiable performance advantage Dvorak config affords single thumb typing. MY testing, in my own little real world "laboratory" has shown some slight advantage depending on what's being typed. BUT, excepting very special use cases, no where near enough advantage to compensate the learning curve costs demanded. Imo. Fwiw.

FAR greater thumb typing performance can be found in form factor designs sized to comfortably collaborate with a HUMAN hand! But, of course, the learning curve investment/return ratio plays a role in compactness friendly technique development as well. All depends on target audience. And how open they are to type with thumb tip technique rather than flat thumbing. Somewhat analogous to ballet vs stomp? Lol.

For many (maybe most?) Bold typists, there's no "home row". Just a single home key. The little "teet" on "5" (D) key proves a reassuring starting point each time I pick up my Bold. Readily identified, sight unseen, on Bold. Even with MY old abused & calloused thumb. Something K1 designers clearly failed to understand with their mostly imperceptible rounded & slick home key "teet". Something they improved on by LE. Slightly.

Inability to confidently locate "home" key by feel demands eye involvement. Eye involvement that distracts from life in motion. Motion defines mobile. Walking is a common mode of Motion. A common mode of mobile. How can a device be considered a MOBILE device while forcing users to STOP walking for use? For safe use, at least... ??

Yes, I frequently type and walk at the same time. While chewing gum, also!!! Lol. While holding the dog's leash, or coffee mug, or shopping cart, etc in ONE hand. While WATCHING where I'm walking! Without distraction! With a Bold. The "gold standard" for TRULY mobile typed communications WHILE living a life in motion... Fitting to have been perfected within an organization named "Research In Motion"??? Lol.

Perfection ultimately lost to history in this landscape of both handed giants? Lol.
    10-30-20 09:35 AM
    Dvorak on Planet Computer’s device did make a difference because I did a lot of touch typing on it with 10 fingers.

but I agree, for standard form factors, qwerty works fine and it works best on a 9900.
    10-31-20 08:08 AM
    It was a great idea when they launched in in Feb2019.... if they had produced it and delivered it in the same time frame that Unihertz did the Titan (four month).

Even the XDA people don't understand it....
    Indeed,lol,the comments on the announcement at XDA are hilarious! They should have just disabled comments for this one honestly,what an absolute joke.

They could have at least given this a Snapdragon 855 as it at least brings the power and efficiency gains of 7nm which were quite significant versus 10nm.

I don’t understand why XDA would allow their name to be dragged in the dirt like this, anyone wanting a device with XDA Developers involvement would fully expect an absolute geekfest of specs, something like:

- Snapdragon 865+
    - 5G
    - 16GB RAM
    - 1080P HDR10+ 6.9 inch Display with 144Hz refresh rate
    - 6000mAh battery

Etc....

Basically an ASUS ROG Phone 3 with a Keyboard, along with the OS of your choice (they got that part right!).

The XDA community would go bananas over something like that with this choice of OS, it would be geek nirvana and you’d probably see Apple-like fandom for an Android device once again, as there was for Google Nexus before they lost their way.

I am speaking strictly from an XDA perspective, Planet Computer can do what they want, they may have their own little niche user base, but when it comes to XDA this was a very poor move on their part, they know very well how important internal hardware is to their community, there are endless cries for top hardware with software freedom over there. Everyone is looking for the next HTC HD2.
    11-01-20 05:08 AM
    Indeed,lol,the comments on the announcement at XDA are hilarious! They should have just disabled comments for this one honestly,what an absolute joke.

They could have at least given this a Snapdragon 855 as it at least brings the power and efficiency gains of 7nm which were quite significant versus 10nm.

I don’t understand why XDA would allow their name to be dragged in the dirt like this, anyone wanting a device with XDA Developers involvement would fully expect an absolute geekfest of specs, something like:

- Snapdragon 865+
    - 5G
    - 16GB RAM
    - 1080P HDR10+ 6.9 inch Display with 144Hz refresh rate
    - 6000mAh battery

Etc....

Basically an ASUS ROG Phone 3 with a Keyboard, along with the OS of your choice (they got that part right!).

The XDA community would go bananas over something like that with this choice of OS, it would be geek nirvana and you’d probably see Apple-like fandom for an Android device once again, as there was for Google Nexus before they lost their way.

I am speaking strictly from an XDA perspective, Planet Computer can do what they want, they may have their own little niche user base, but when it comes to XDA this was a very poor move on their part, they know very well how important internal hardware is to their community, there are endless cries for top hardware with software freedom over there. Everyone is looking for the next HTC HD2.
    My guess is XDA wanted to piggy back on an existing QWERTY project instead of developing their own from scratch.

I would have gone to Planet Computers because their Astro Slide project seems to have far more up-to-date specs.

The Pro 1's 835 is gonna be 4 years old when it launches. Sure it's gonna perform better than a Priv lol, and maybe the 835 puts out enough power for the intended use, but people usually don't look at it that way.
    Trouveur likes this.
    11-01-20 06:47 AM
    My guess is XDA wanted to piggy back on an existing QWERTY project instead of developing their own from scratch.

I would have gone to Planet Computers because their Astro Slide project seems to have far more up-to-date specs.

The Pro 1's 835 is gonna be 4 years old when it launches. Sure it's gonna perform better than a Priv lol, and maybe the 835 puts out enough power for the intended use, but people usually don't look at it that way.
    I don't see the 835 as "THE" issues.... in my view it's the pricing for this package in 2021. XDA users are generally power users that understand the market and where prices should be. And if they want to run Ubuntu or Lineage, they know what phones work best with those OSs.
    11-02-20 07:18 AM
35 12