So sorry if this has been addressed but I didn't see it anywhere.

Basically when I'm talking on my phone and if it's not set on silent and I get a text that sound goes off instead of just having the light flash. Is there a way to fix this, I can't keep my phone on silent 24/7 but I get to many texts and it's not only annoying it hurts my ears :/ thanks in advance for the help
    09-09-10 06:02 AM
    So sorry if this has been addressed but I didn't see it anywhere.

Basically when I'm talking on my phone and if it's not set on silent and I get a text that sound goes off instead of just having the light flash. Is there a way to fix this, I can't keep my phone on silent 24/7 but I get to many texts and it's not only annoying it hurts my ears :/ thanks in advance for the help
    Open up messages>menu>settings and scroll down to the "received messages" part.

Here you can decide what you want your SMS sounds set as. I always set my an vibrate annd uncheck the box for paying notification sound.
    09-09-10 11:53 AM
    Thanks for the help but that wasn't my question. I know how to change the sound, I want to know how to make it stop going off while I'm talking on the phone.
    09-10-10 05:43 AM
    Then why not just set it to vibrate then? It sounds like you just don't want text messages coming through while you on the phone. Well they are coming through they are either going to make a sound or be silent or vibrate. Wouldn't vibrate solve your problem? I don't believe you can set it so it can automatically change while you're on the phone. I believe it does what ever it's set to do whether you are on the phone or not. Sorry I couldn't help.
    09-10-10 09:19 AM
    I have the same issue.

Basically.. it is using the speaker, not the ear piece, to make the tone. As if we are not on the phone. I just thought it was by (poor) design. However when l&b asked I did some looking and not everyone seemed to experience this. Some folks said that for them.. it only vibrates while on a call (by design).

It was said to be a bug in that the messaging program is not recognizing the phone call active.

Unfortunately I found no real solutions. The only decent workaround was to download handscent sms and use it in place of the stock sms program. Make the stock sms alert silent and apparently the handscent sms alert options can be set correctly to handle this. I however.. have not tried this for myself.

(note: that was a rather quick search.. I'm going to look further as now I wonder if i can make this stop as well.. like I wrote above.. I figured it was by design.. albeit very poor design)
    Last edited by kcmoberry; 09-10-10 at 02:32 PM.
    09-10-10 11:29 AM
    Yes, Handcent SMS gives you the option of alerting you while on a call with either a tone, or vibrate, or none.
    09-10-10 01:16 PM
    Yes, Handcent SMS gives you the option of alerting you while on a call with either a tone, or vibrate, or none.
    During the call right?

and

Is the tone within the ear piece?
    09-10-10 01:53 PM
    Thanks, I didn't really want that handcent but I don't want to have to keep my texts on vibrate either so I'll give it a try lol
    09-10-10 02:21 PM
    post back how you like it. I havent wanted to use handscent either and for now.. I'm holding off making the change.
    09-10-10 02:33 PM
    What's not to like about Handcent? You can customize the cr@p out of it, display contact pics right in the threaded screen, assign custom notifiers to each contact, etc.
    09-10-10 03:02 PM
    During the call right?

and

Is the tone within the ear piece?
    Yes, during the call, don't know, I never tried it, I have mine set to vibe.
    09-10-10 03:03 PM
    What's not to like about Handcent? You can customize the cr@p out of it, display contact pics right in the threaded screen, assign custom notifiers to each contact, etc.
    Handcent is one of the best apps available for Android. The developer is also awesome and very helpful. They had me running some betas when the 2.2 leak came out to fix some things. The developer is one of my Gtalk contacts.
    09-10-10 03:08 PM
    I have avoided handscent because as I understand it.. messages show up in both handscent and the stock app and going into handscent does not clear the new message alert to the other. maybe I have that confused?
    09-10-10 03:33 PM
    I have avoided handscent because as I understand it.. messages show up in both handscent and the stock app and going into handscent does not clear the new message alert to the other. maybe I have that confused?
    After you install Handcent, open the stock messaging app and go to Menu, Settings. Disable the stock messaging app's notifications (sound, and notification in status bar). Then you will not get double notifications when you receive a message.
    09-10-10 04:04 PM
    See, a little confusion made you miss out on a great app. As xliderider said, just turn off your notifications for the stock messaging app. Problems solved.
    09-10-10 04:07 PM
    ah that is good to know. time to youtube some handcent vids I guess and get a better look.
    09-10-10 05:07 PM
    ah that is good to know. time to youtube some handcent vids I guess and get a better look.
    FYI, because Handcent is so customizable, I can pretty much guarantee you that what you see on YouTube will not be what stock Handcent looks like.
    09-10-10 06:20 PM
    Handcent is amazing. I love it because I can add SMS signatures.
    09-10-10 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD