Other than screen size and resolution, should the Eris be able to do everything the Moto Droid does after the OS upgrade? Am I sacrificing that much web browsing speed?

Anything that the Eris wont be able to do that the Droid does?
    Last edited by hal1; 12-04-09 at 06:28 PM.
    12-04-09 06:22 PM
    Other than screen size and resolution, should the Eris be able to do everything the Moto Droid does after the OS upgrade? Am I sacrificing that much web browsing speed?

That would probably a Semantics answer for u
    12-04-09 06:32 PM

Yes it will have every function the DROID has Android wise and HTC Sense UI. 2.1 is supposed to improve speed so it will run just fine I am sure.
    12-04-09 07:01 PM
    The only thing I was concerned about with the Eris was with the lower processor and keeping up with Android 2.0

I'm sure it will be great though, I just felt more comfortable with a more powerful processor and a device that already came with 2.0
    12-04-09 10:49 PM
    "The DROID does".....nuff said!
    12-04-09 11:18 PM
    The only thing I was concerned about with the Eris was with the lower processor and keeping up with Android 2.0

I'm sure it will be great though, I just felt more comfortable with a more powerful processor and a device that already came with 2.0
    Well it won't do everything due to some hardware restrictions (led flash for camera, keyboard, etc), but my guess is the phone will have a lot of lag and slows down after a while kind of like the storms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 11:39 PM

Hardware limitations aside, like no flash etc, do not be dissuaded from the Eris if you like the phone. It will run 2.1 just fine, it will not lag, and slow down, so don't listen to people who have never used an HTC Android, because they can only speak from opinion, disguised as fact.

I have rooted my Hero, installed a custom ROM with all optimized apk's and my phone is lightening fast, and I'm not joking. Instant swap from landscape to portrait and thats with fancy animations on, and it was plenty fast enough using stock Sense UI. Bottom line is, get what you like, but remember this. HTC has a huge, and I mean huge community of hackers and dev's who do some pretty amazing things to the HTC devices. I have no doubt, a custom 2.1 optimized ROM will run faster on your Eris than it would on the uber Droid.

Having the type of community behind a device like XDA Devs, is simply amazing. I had no idea how efficient these guys are at making things so much better than the carriers/phone makers releases are.

There is a reason people are begging the XDA devs to root the Droid, the optimizations and custom ROM's are no joke.

2 million members strong on Xda devs! Alldroid.org which is being touted as the Droid version of Xda is 1800 members strong!

Ultimately, get what you like. Don't listen to any fanboys tell you the Eris wont run well, I'd be willing to bet after 2.1 is tweaked, it will run better on your Eris. If you don't want to root the phone, and run it stock, I'm sure it will run fine too.

A lot of people on this forum have said they like Android because its more geek than BB, or Iphone or, whatever OS. If you don't have a rooted phone, and aren't experimenting with custom ROM's, you aren't getting the real benefit of Android. I can tether with wifi, I can get rid of any app on my phone that I choose to, I control the device, and whats on it, not Sprint.

Pick whichever phone you like, don't let anyone make you think you'll get a lesser experience with the Eris, if thats the phone you want.
    12-05-09 12:25 AM

I have owned them both. The Eris is a decent, but a bit slower than the moto..seconds only, nothing big, just due to hardware being a bit dated. The battery life is not great, if you compare the size of the moto and htc battery, it's easy to see why. That is one major reason I chose the moto and returned the eris. htc sense UI is very nice, and quite frankly very popular. On the Eris, I liked it. The pocket ability of the Eris was better than the droid. The free layered turn by turn voice native navigation is trump on the droid.

The 16gig card on the droid wins as the eris only gets 8 gigs. (16 gig cards=40 bucks) The eris has hardware buttons on the face of the phone, the droid does not. Depending on how you look at that will determine what's best for you. The sound quality on the droid is beyond better than the eris. On the eris you get a mono speaker (that needs to be turned up all the way if you are to hear the phone go off in a public area). The stereo speaker on the droid crazy good. I was blasting some tunes, and I still heard the droid go off at 1/2 volume. From owning the eris, I can tell you, that watching you tube videos can bring up the dreaded buffering sign in the middle of the video. The droid didn't do that? Could have been other circumstances though.

If I wouldn't have tried the droid, then I probably would still have the eris, but for me, I knew how the droid worked and that knocked the eris off because of that....experiance....sounds like you could hack and root the snot out of the eris to take care of lag...but there are 2.0 hack forums too...the eris has only hardware and build quality weakness (minor), other than that...both droids are very capable smart phones.
    12-05-09 01:30 AM
    Hardware limitations aside, like no flash etc, do not be dissuaded from the Eris if you like the phone. It will run 2.1 just fine, it will not lag, and slow down, so don't listen to people who have never used an HTC Android, because they can only speak from opinion, disguised as fact.

I have rooted my Hero, installed a custom ROM with all optimized apk's and my phone is lightening fast, and I'm not joking. Instant swap from landscape to portrait and thats with fancy animations on, and it was plenty fast enough using stock Sense UI. Bottom line is, get what you like, but remember this. HTC has a huge, and I mean huge community of hackers and dev's who do some pretty amazing things to the HTC devices. I have no doubt, a custom 2.1 optimized ROM will run faster on your Eris than it would on the uber Droid.

Having the type of community behind a device like XDA Devs, is simply amazing. I had no idea how efficient these guys are at making things so much better than the carriers/phone makers releases are.

There is a reason people are begging the XDA devs to root the Droid, the optimizations and custom ROM's are no joke.

2 million members strong on Xda devs! Alldroid.org which is being touted as the Droid version of Xda is 1800 members strong!

Ultimately, get what you like. Don't listen to any fanboys tell you the Eris wont run well, I'd be willing to bet after 2.1 is tweaked, it will run better on your Eris. If you don't want to root the phone, and run it stock, I'm sure it will run fine too.

A lot of people on this forum have said they like Android because its more geek than BB, or Iphone or, whatever OS. If you don't have a rooted phone, and aren't experimenting with custom ROM's, you aren't getting the real benefit of Android. I can tether with wifi, I can get rid of any app on my phone that I choose to, I control the device, and whats on it, not Sprint.

Pick whichever phone you like, don't let anyone make you think you'll get a lesser experience with the Eris, if thats the phone you want.
    I trust and highly recommend Semantics' opinion on this topic
    12-05-09 01:56 AM
    I have owned them both. The Eris is a decent, but a bit slower than the moto..seconds only, nothing big, just due to hardware being a bit dated. The battery life is not great, if you compare the size of the moto and htc battery, it's easy to see why. That is one major reason I chose the moto and returned the eris.
    I moved to the Droid for the very same reason. The battery life is such a big difference. Other than that I loved the Eris. I still have it but I prefer my Droid
    12-05-09 01:58 AM
    So... From owning and using both on a daily basis...

I find that the Eris is left behind. Not only is it left behind by the Moto Droid's hardware, like the flash and screen and what not... but when it comes to its performance, the Droid is much faster on almost all fronts. The Eris browser is quite visibly slower than the Moto, and it renders worse. The ability to move through applications is much faster on the Moto. While already noted, videos (or any media for that matter) look much better on the Droid. The Moto of course has a keyboard, which, over time, becomes easier to use. I found that the Eris could not keep up, and its virtual keyboard was much less responsive than the Droid...

Overall the Eris/Hero isn't all that impressive of a device with the Moto Droid, and many more devices on the horizon...

If I were to make a suggestion, don't get the Hero/Eris as it is quickly being bested by several new phones coming soon...

What I'm waiting for is the "Passion"
    12-05-09 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD