When emailing, web browsing, texting, etc., how easy do you consider it? Is it fast? Responsive? Does the auto-correct capture what you mean the majority of the time? Any issues with it so far?

Thanks.
    11-08-09 07:12 PM
    I can type just as fast if not faster with the Eris as I could with my Storm1. It takes a few times to get the layout and feel of the keyboard down but I make less mistakes with the Eris. Just go to a store and play around with one and you will see what I mean!
    11-08-09 07:28 PM
    I'm actually really impressed with the keyboard on Eris' Sense. I'm coming from a BlackBerry (non-Storm), and those are known for their great physical keyboards, so I was weary of this, but after a day I've got no more worries. Auto-correct does its job admirably, and it'll add things it doesn't know when you confirm that it's indeed what you meant to type. Very very accurate, even in portrait mode which took me by surprise.
    11-08-09 07:33 PM
    Well, I'll be coming from the Storm 2 and I'm not really fond of how it has to register that haptic feedback click which seems to slow my texting down. In fact, on my Storm 2 I've had a recent issue where it lags several words behind and it just ends up frustrating me.

Leaning more and more towards the Eris as my alternative Android device. It looks like everything the Motorola DROID is with better aesthetics and worse, but not at all horrible, build mechanisms. Ooh, I'm getting excited.
    11-08-09 07:40 PM
    Well, I'll be coming from the Storm 2 and I'm not really fond of how it has to register that haptic feedback click which seems to slow my texting down. In fact, on my Storm 2 I've had a recent issue where it lags several words behind and it just ends up frustrating me.

Leaning more and more towards the Eris as my alternative Android device. It looks like everything the Motorola DROID is with better aesthetics and worse, but not at all horrible, build mechanisms. Ooh, I'm getting excited.
    Explain what you mean by build mechanisms? The Eris feels every bit as solidly built as the Moto. Maybe you're referring to the heft of the Moto... in which case you're right, the Eris is lighter. But it's not exactly feather-light; I think it's exactly how heavy a phone should be. The weight/size/shape of the Moto was actually one of the reasons I returned it and got the Eris.
    11-08-09 07:45 PM
    Don't get me wrong; I'm in love with HTC's slim and curvy designs that they pull out. It would make me much happier than the Motorola DROID's blocky, seemingly sharp and rather bulky design. By build mechanisms, for lack of a better phrasing, I meant the screen display, the processor, and the current use of 2.0 Eclair. But the screen display on the HTC Eris looked fine to me when I saw it in Verizon, the processor wasn't noticeable (to me), and it's supposed to be getting 2.0 eventually.

The only thing that I'm not fond of with the HTC Eris is the multiple screens. I don't really see myself using them, and the desktop-like screen of the Motorola DROID was something I personally liked. Will that be coming with the 2.0 update?
    11-08-09 07:51 PM
    Don't get me wrong; I'm in love with HTC's slim and curvy designs that they pull out. It would make me much happier than the Motorola DROID's blocky, seemingly sharp and rather bulky design. By build mechanisms, for lack of a better phrasing, I meant the screen display, the processor, and the current use of 2.0 Eclair. But the screen display on the HTC Eris looked fine to me when I saw it in Verizon, the processor wasn't noticeable (to me), and it's supposed to be getting 2.0 eventually.

The only thing that I'm not fond of with the HTC Eris is the multiple screens. I don't really see myself using them, and the desktop-like screen of the Motorola DROID was something I personally liked. Will that be coming with the 2.0 update?
    Oh, for sure. The Motorola's hardware advantages (screen, processor) were both kind of non-issues to me as well. I really couldn't tell the difference in practical use.

As far as the multiple screens go, Eris won't get 2.0 until HTC updates Sense, so when Eris does get 2.0 it will still have (updated) Sense, and therefore probably still have 7 Home screens. You could just ignore the outer 4 though and just use 3 like the Motorola has... what do you mean by "desktop-like"?

Eris won't get vanilla 2.0 like the Motorola has. You have the option of using something like Open Home to change up your home screen though, I'd think.
    11-08-09 08:02 PM
    By desktop-like, I just meant how the DROID lays out the icons without the giant clock and weather (though I do like that) and .. I'm not sure. It just looks more like a miniature desktop.

That makes me curious, though. What will 2.0 bring to the HTC Eris then?
    11-08-09 08:05 PM
    i came from a storm 1, i had it for like 6 months or so. i was pretty good at typing on it. i have the eris now for 2 days. i can type 2, almost 3 times faster....and a lot more accurate.
    11-08-09 08:07 PM
    The clock and weather is a widget that HTC designed. If you don't like it or don't want it you can just remove it. I would highly suggest that you search youtube for some of the Eris or Hero review videos. It will explain a lot about Sense UI for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 08:12 PM
    I'll look up videos of the Sense UI, but I'm now curious of what 2.0 will bring to the HTC Eris?
    11-08-09 08:17 PM
    2.0 should bring many of the new features that the Moto Droid has (google nav for one) along with other improvements designed by HTC. There is a pretty good video over at phandroid that shows some of the differences between 1.6 and 2.0 on a vanilla OS. Until we see it though we won't really know for sure what HTC has in store.

11-08-09 08:31 PM
    And this is expected by early 2010, correct? Eclair 2.0, I mean.
    11-08-09 08:33 PM
    HTC is working on updating the Sense UI with 2.0 right now. Since the Passion is supposed to be released (according to rumors) with 2.0 this year and it is an HTC device I would expect it to have Sense UI and the update to come at the same time or shortly after. So we should be looking at December or January, if the rumors are correct.

11-08-09 08:40 PM
    Ooh, okay. I hope, if I do get the Eris, I won't be disappointed.
    11-08-09 08:43 PM
    After you see what Sense UI does, I doubt you will be. Of course there are 2 more Android phones coming to Verizon this year, so you could just wait.

11-08-09 09:01 PM
    Do you have any of the Sense UI devices? And it's possible, but I'm still under my 30 days with my Storm 2. I want a phone that'll last me until I feel the dire need to pay full retail for a phone.
    11-08-09 09:12 PM
    No, my upgrade date isn't until next month. I have been playing with them heavily and I do a TON of research before I buy anything. When you feel the need to get a new phone is up to you, but the Eris is a really nice device. It should have no trouble lasting most people a year. Beyond that there is always ebay, paying full retail or adding a line (which I am considering anyway).

11-08-09 09:19 PM
    Oh? What phone do you plan on buying, present or rumored?
    11-08-09 09:27 PM
    Right now I plan on getting the Eris. That is unless the Passion is announced in the next week or so. The rumors suggest a nice mix of the Droid and Eris which would just be too sweet. I do hope they change it a little though. The gold shown in the leaked photos is just fugly, I hate gold on cars and electronics.

11-08-09 09:36 PM
    Out of curiosity, will the price of the Passion lean more towards the DROID pricing or the Eris pricing?
    11-08-09 09:39 PM
    Out of curiosity, will the price of the Passion lean more towards the DROID pricing or the Eris pricing?
    The speculation on the Passion indicates a really high-end device... huge screen and high-end processor. I would be surprised if it was any cheaper than the Moto Droid. I'm not holding out for the Passion because the huge screen will require a fairly large device... maybe even larger than the Droid. And the small size of the Eris is one reason why I switched.
    Last edited by cedar; 11-08-09 at 09:45 PM.
    11-08-09 09:43 PM
    I figured as much, seeing as how people have talked about it. But as of now, I feel safe in buying the HTC Eris and using that for about a year until the HTC Passion drops in price or something more interesting comes out which I can always pay full retail for if I'm that interested.

Thanks for everything, responses and all, guys.
    11-08-09 09:45 PM
    The size issue with the Passion also has me looking more towards the Eris. I have read that the screen could be 4.3" which is just way too big. The battery life is also an issue with a processor that hefty. I have to wait either way so, I guess I will just see.

11-08-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD