There are some issues that exist with the Hero and Eris that are going to pop up very shortly. This thread's purpose it to try to quell them before they start.

1. DO NOT SUSCRIBE TO ANY SERVICE THAT SENDS TEXT VIA YOUR [email protected]e . I'm not going into detail here, but once you recieve any of these type MMS (yes they are not SMS) messages you WILL be wiping and reloading eventually. This is a known issue, and will be fixed whenever the carriers release any update.

2. DO NOT USE THE INCLUDED HTC APPLICATION FOR YOUR SMS/MMS MESSAGES. There is a bug in the Android 1.5 CDMA version that freezes the dialer awake and will quickly kill your battery. Yes the messaging widget is beautiful and quite handy, but for the time being it's best not to use it. From the market download ChompSMS or Handcent SMS. Set either up as you would like, then enter the HTC messaging app and in the options disable incoming notifications. Restart your device, and be sure to unlock it and use it for a few minutes before letting it go back to sleep. This will bypass the issue until HTC sends out a fix. Then be sure not to use the HTC messaging app.

3. Using task killers is going to cause you headaches. This probably applies to the droid as well. Let the linux kernel handle the memory as it is designed to do. Think of the last time you heard anyone claim that linux can't manage memory...that's right, you haven't. The kernel will leave applications run in the background until it needs more memory or the phone goes to sleep.

4. Your battery life will suck for the first few days. This also applies if you preform a hard reset. Linux is dynamic, and it needs a little while to "learn" how to properly manage your hardware. After a few days your battery life will be more than acceptable. This is much like how BB devices need some time with a new OS before they "settle down" and preform batter.

5. The included Gmail application is tied to your Gmail acct you used to set up the phone. It has almost instant push. You can have Gmail poll your pop accounts (set up at gmail.com) and they will arrive in this inbox within seconds of arriving in your Gmail inbox, and uses no extra battery. The Mail application on the device is very much like a mail client on your PC/Mac. You can set it up and allow it to pull mail for an unlimited number of accounts, but at a cost of battery life. Yes Yahoo mail works just fine, but Yahoo forces you to pay them for their free service. Whine to yahoo, not to CB.

6. The market is tied to your Gmail account used to set up the phone. It uses Google checkout. You have 24 hours to get a refund for any software purchase, and once sent through charges will appear at your bank in about 2 days. Having said that, the amount of free apps is mind boggling. Make sure you look around before you purchase software.

7. Go to HTC's website and download the latest version of HTC sync if you plan to snyc with Outlook or Outlook Express/WinLive mail. Install the app, then place a copy of the zip file on your sdcard. Go into menu>settings>applications. Make sure Unknown Sources is checked. This "jailbreaks" your market and allows you to install any .apk file to your device. Then go into development. Make sure USB debugging is checked, and Stay Awake is not.
    Plug your device into your PC, swipe down the notification bar and select Sync to start HTC sync and sync with your mail account. Select mount to use your device as a hard drive and swap files. BE SURE TO UNMOUNT BEFORE YOU UNPLUG.

I'll post more as I think of them
    11-06-09 08:55 PM
    reserved
    10 char
    11-06-09 08:56 PM
    nice post, thank you
    11-06-09 10:14 PM
    Ok anyone who is up for this would be an enormous help, i have moved from an 8330 to an Eris (which is why i am in this thread) and have encountered a few speed bumps on an otherwise amazing phone and need some expert advice after i have exhausted trying it all evening.

1. When I recieved my Eris Verizon had apparently already put my contact into my phone but none of them were correct. So i went down the list and deleted all 199 of them and then started adding my own. Well a few minutes later the sync icon with an exclamation point comes up in my notification and say that i have exceeded the deletion size limit for google what would i like to do? Delete all items, Undo delete, Do nothing. And no matter what i press the notification comes back within minutes. So i clicked on "people" and then clicked on "view" and saw that there was a "contact source" so i changed it from google to my phone. However when i tried to enter a new contact it didnt show up under "phone" it showed up under google and then the sync notification showed up again. Any help with this would be huge!

2. What do you mean do not use the SMS/MMS that came with the phone? Do you mean the widget?

3. I have the main gmail icon (the envelope looking one) on my main screen and that is my push email but it doesnt show and notification on the actual icon?

4. After the main push account is set up then will all my other ones be the "pull" account and how do i get my email from not showing up in both email inboxes?
    11-07-09 05:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD