I am about to switch from a bb curve to the droid(s), just not sure which. I like the hardware for the droid, but I like the fact that the eris seems to have a tad more customization options(least that's what it seems like w/ the whole 7home screens)

So I was wondering from pple who have used both and why you went with one over the other. I don't think I would need a phys kb as I assume I would get used to the virtual one on both.

So guys and gals, lemme know what ya think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 02:20 AM
    Personally I've had issues with Moto and never had any problems with HTC so as of right now I'm looking at the Eris when my upgrade comes in July.
    12-22-09 05:15 AM
    I enjoy my Droid fully. I love the higher resolution screen, the keyboard is awesome, and it's just... awesome. I love seeing my phone on tv too, that's always a plus.

The biggest thing, though, is that updates are going to come out for it quicker than on the Eris - the Eris needs to have the various updates tweaked to work with the Sense UI. Droid just got 2.0.1, and Eris is still rocking 1.6. And even once it gets 2.0, it will be stuck at that while Droid users get 2.0.1, 2.0.2, etc. There may be an upgrade every few months on Eris, but it'll always be a month or two behind Droid.
    12-22-09 05:42 AM
    Pick one. Try it, you have 30 days. If you don't like return it for the other one.

As far as the 35.00 restocking fee goes, if you get the right person they can waive that for you. I'd do that over the phone if I were you.
    12-22-09 06:17 AM
    I upgraded to the Droid from a Storm1, and after 3 weeks, switched it out for an Eris. The Droid is a fantastic device, powerful, quick, gorgeous screen, etc etc. I simply couldn't get over the form factor. The physical keyboard was IMHO iffy, and I used the on screen keyboard more. The Droid, while well made, has the square profile, which makes it feel a lot bigger in your pocket than it really is.

I switched to the Eris, and am very happy. Its almost as fast, almost as powerful, the screen is great, not as good obviously, but better than the storm.

The Eris just happened to fit my needs better...
    12-22-09 07:16 AM
    I have a CDMA Hero (similar to Eris), and love it. One of my duties at work is managing all communications services, including wireless accounts. Recently a Verizon rep, trying to get some business from me, offered to let me take the Motorola Droid for a spin for about a week.

My first impression of the Droid was that the device is ugly (imo, of course), and I miss seeing Sense UI. After over a week with the Motorola Droid, I must say, it's a very nice device, but my first impressions still stand. The main things I like about it are the larger screen and Android 2.0 with Google Maps Nav.

The smaller screen, I can deal with. Android 2.0, I can wait. The idea of a physical keyboard is nice, but not this particular one. I'm not willing to sacrifice a sleek device, for hardware with moving parts. I'm not willing to sacrifice a much more aesthetically pleasing UI either. All in all, I couldn't be happier with my Hero... so I say Eris.
    12-22-09 08:30 AM
    You can use home++ with the droid for more homescreens, and the OS 2.1 with bring more screens too.

12-22-09 08:56 AM
    I decided to go with the Eris for these two main reasons:
    1. No physical keyboard - since owning the storm, I am not going back to a physical keyboard again. The Eris's virtual keyboard, in my opinion, is better than the Droid's because of the way things are layed out on the screen.
    2. Sense UI - Although you can use OpenHome++ or PandaHome or what have you, it just doesn't totally compare to the Sense UI experience. Sure you can download Dolphin Browser on the droid to allow for pinch zoom, but guess what, Sense UI has that built in along with other little nifty surprises like the way it organizes your contacts and e-mail. Everything just feels more integrated OS wise with Sense UI!

Other things to consider (Eris vs Droid):
    1. Micro SD card memory (8 GB or 16 GB) - this wasn't really a big factor for me because neither of those capacities could hold all of my music, but it could be a factor.
    2. Cables (Mini or Micro USB) - this is just a really nit picky thing that I considered, but after I thought about how crazy I was for even considering this, I told myself to just forget about the darn micro USB.
    3. Flash - I only really used the flash on my Strom as a flash light, but hey, you might actually use it! LOL!
    4. Sound (Mono or Stereo speaker) - music and video sound quality through headphones are the exact same. I haven't tested the Droid's stereo speaker, so I can't compare to the Eris, but the Eris sounds good through its mono speaker. Another thought - neither are going to beat the current BB's stereo sound with all the equalizer settings that BB's have.
    5. Speed - Both devices are hands down faster than my Storm, and unless you want to be like "Oh my Droid loads .133333 seconds faster than your Eris", then I say go Droid, but really, speed is not an issue!
    6. Form Factor - This was what won me over. Sure the Droid has a bigger screen, but I just couldn't stand the way it looked. (Don't flame me!) I also didn't need the physical keyboard. The Eris feels really awesome in the hand. "It has that zen stone kind of feeling!" The matted finish is cool, and for a first time trackball user, I like using it so I don't have to pinch zoom or to play some GameBoy ROMS when I'm bored.

Overall: I say go for the Eris. You really won't be disappointed, but like some others around here have said, just try it out for 30 days during which the 2.0 or 2.1 software will be out for the Eris, so you will have everything the Droid has OS wise and then some. Just because the Droid is Verizon's flag ship device doesn't mean they won't show the Eris some love. If you can't wait a few days for the Eris to get the same update that the Droid does then you are one impatient person!
    Last edited by DarkSource; 12-23-09 at 12:13 PM.
    12-22-09 10:08 AM
    Just don't get a droid and use it for a week, to then try the Eris. I did that, and I was missing my droid big time after only a day or two. I got my droid back! The droid is a ton more ZEN. If you go with an Eris without experiencing the droid, you should be fine, it is a freakin great phone too! Just don't expect the same performance, battery life, sound quality, clarity, and google enhancements from it.
    12-22-09 02:26 PM
    Thanks guys!

Guess I will do the 30 thing, try one for 2wks and then the other and make the decision then.

12-22-09 04:40 PM
    I've had my Eris since the first day it same out...and could not be happier with a phone. It does everything I need plus some. No issues with it at all. Screen is beautiful, as is the Sense UI. Typing on the touch keyboard is excellent and I am actually becoming quite efficient with it. I've used it when travelling to find places and locations in a snap. I've put some nice games on it, that can take up down time while killing time. I've done videos and sent them, taken pics and sent them..all without any trouble. It is fast enough for me and the screen is big enough, too. It feels good in the hand. My battery life has improved even tho I don't fiddle with the settings all that much. It just does it's thing.

I have tried out the Moto Droid several times, and just can't fall in love with it. HTC has designed a very nice experience around Android OS and with new updates it will only get better.
    12-22-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks guys!

Guess I will do the 30 thing, try one for 2wks and then the other and make the decision then.

Doesn't really work that way. You are only allowed 1 swap, so if you change your mind you can't go back to the original device.
    12-22-09 05:50 PM
    Doesn't really work that way. You are only allowed 1 swap, so if you change your mind you can't go back to the original device.
    You CAN switch back. If you are honest as to why your previous phone was a better choice for you, and why the current one isn't working out, they will let you switch back. (That's what I did, and there wasn't even a blink from Verizon as to not give me what worked BETTER for me). They make their money off your service, not phone sales. Just be honest, and NICE, they will charge a 35 restock fee, and that is the end of it.
    12-22-09 06:12 PM
    i would go for the droid ive got the blackberry curve 8330 in pink and its kinda annoying when it restarts a million times in one day
    12-22-09 06:43 PM
    I'm thinking about taking a Droid Eris for a spin. I really like the smaller form factor.
    12-22-09 07:35 PM
    Once Official 2.1 comes out, the Droid will be as smooth as the Eris plus all the extra features.
    12-22-09 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD