So Im trying to decide which droid to go with, I have played with them both and just cant decide! The Eris just seems smoother with everything but the lack of 2.0 is dissapointing. Any tips or deciding factors for anyone else? the full keyboard doesnt matter to me.
    11-12-09 01:10 AM
    So Im trying to decide which droid to go with, I have played with them both and just cant decide! The Eris just seems smoother with everything but the lack of 2.0 is dissapointing. Any tips or deciding factors for anyone else? the full keyboard doesnt matter to me.
    Eris will get the 2.0. It already has most of the features of the Droid, minus the Nav. If you want a bigger screen, then the Droid is the obvious answer. Opinions will vary as to which screen looks nicer, many people say the Droids, and many people say the Eris. Sense UI cannot be understated here, its an amazing interface. End of the day, they both do the same things, and you have to decide which form factor you want to be tied down to for the next 12-24 months.
    11-12-09 01:14 AM
    True, although im not sure what exactly the Sense UI does.
    11-12-09 01:20 AM
    Sense UI provides you with 7 home screens instead of the stock Android 3. It also has an implementation called "Scene's" That allows you to have your own designed home screens for different times throughout the day, such as work, travel, home, a night on the town etc. It has a revamped keyboard over the standard android layout. It's essentially HTC's take on android. It has more widgets, and better looking widgets and a different layout.
    11-12-09 01:26 AM
    Gotcha.. I thought everything on the eris interface wise ran smoother than the droid. Maybe it was my eyes playing tricks on me though. I do love that the Eris can do the pinch to zoom though.
    11-12-09 01:30 AM
    Its a skin over the top of Vanilla Android's interface. It gives you 7 home screens to use for widgets, and HTC has integrated their own widgets into Sense. Its very intuitive to use, its smooth and beautiful. It makes integration to your social networking very quick, and easy. Its a really nice feature and HTC did a brilliant job with it. There is a reason that people want Sense on their non HTC phones, it just works, and looks damn going while doing it.
    11-12-09 01:31 AM
    Yeah, something about the droid didnt seem to run as fast, not to mention in the couple hours i played with the moto it crashed 3 times browsing the web where the eris didnt at all
    11-12-09 01:33 AM
    I really want the Droid because I'm a hardware freak and the specs on that thing are just better than the Eris, especially the screen resolution. That is one thing that I always want in a device is a nice, sharp, clear, high-res screen. However, specs alone do not a good gadget make. I have still to go into the local VZW store to try either phone and so will reserve my opinions until I have actually used each device. Right now I'm leaning toward Droid over Eris just ever so slightly if only because of the hardware. The OS on both is fundamentally the same although I must tip my hat to HTC for creating the Sense UI, which looks great. Eris will eventually get 2.0 just like Droid so thats not really a deciding factor at this time. Who knows, that may change once I actually use the devices.

On, a side note, I was browsing LetsTalk.com the other night, and realized that I could add an additional line, trade in my old Pearl 8130, and end up getting the Eris for about $16.00 out the door!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by google123; 11-12-09 at 01:56 AM.
    11-12-09 01:49 AM
    Yeah the spec to spec comparisons are definitely a lot better on the droid but using them hands on I Couldnt tell besides the motorolas larger screen.
    11-12-09 02:37 AM
    The high res screen on the motor Droid is amazing, the fonts on the screen in small point sizes look like type, very smooth.

And if the Droid you used crashed during browser sessions, then it was defective. My Droid doesn't crash even when multiple windows are in use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 03:05 AM
    Ahh, yeah the droid I was using crashed multiple times, when browsing the web. I actually used 2 droids and the frst one I tried crashed a couple times but not as much as the last one.
    11-12-09 03:16 AM
    Well it doesn't work like RIM for OS updates. There is no promise that Eris will get 2.0. It may be possible to root it after you get the kernal but the rooting process looks pretty complicated. It gets into computer code and stuff so if you don't know anything about it then you are heavily reliant on the developers and if you have any problems you can't easily wipe and reload the OS. Even after 2.0 can be rooted it still may not work on Eris because of the sense ui. So keep that in mind. You may be better off holding out a couple more months for the passion.

11-12-09 05:13 AM
    Well it doesn't work like RIM for OS updates. There is no promise that Eris will get 2.0. It may be possible to root it after you get the kernal but the rooting process looks pretty complicated. It gets into computer code and stuff so if you don't know anything about it then you are heavily reliant on the developers and if you have any problems you can't easily wipe and reload the OS. Even after 2.0 can be rooted it still may not work on Eris because of the sense ui. So keep that in mind. You may be better off holding out a couple more months for the passion.

HTC has stated that Sense UI is getting Eclair, and soon. HTC will roll this out to all the US HTC phones, I have no doubt. They've already stated its coming to the Hero, the Eris will get it.
    11-12-09 12:38 PM
    After using my Droid all week, and using a co-workers Eris to try a few things, I can definitely the Droid performs better than the Eris. Sense UI is nice and snappy, even snappier than the Droid's UI, but for phone functions, such as switching between apps, or waiting for apps to load, the Droid definitely wins there.
    11-12-09 12:42 PM
    The Droid is amazing and snappy.

The only issue I saw with my Droid is changing screens, it seems a little choppier in the Animation, As opposed to the Eris.

I prefer my Droid over my Eris though.
    11-12-09 12:46 PM
    have had both droid and eris. like the eris UI a lot better and htc says eris is getting "newer version of android early next year" on there twitter
    12-06-09 06:10 PM
    Its a skin over the top of Vanilla Android's interface. It gives you 7 home screens to use for widgets, and HTC has integrated their own widgets into Sense. Its very intuitive to use, its smooth and beautiful. It makes integration to your social networking very quick, and easy. Its a really nice feature and HTC did a brilliant job with it. There is a reason that people want Sense on their non HTC phones, it just works, and looks damn going while doing it.
    Agreed......
    12-06-09 07:27 PM
    If HTC gets a phone that has a kicking battery (Eris couldn't handle my day) on Verizon....I may use the other upgrade on my account then....but it will have to kick major plank...arg, as I am pretty darn satisfied with the Motorola package....
    12-06-09 07:30 PM
    An FYI for anyone on the Moto Droid vs. HTC Eris fence: I got an Eris for my wife with the BOGO offer this past weekend. We live in a marginal signal area, and the Eris keeps dropping calls. I checked the signal strength on the Eris and it actually cycles between about -97 dbm to 0 on signal strength. I thought it was a defective Eris, so we got the phone exchanged for a new one today, and it is doing the same thing.

My Moto Droid has about -86 to -89 dbm signal strength when side by side with the Eris and does not drop calls, but the EVDO signal goes in and out. The Eris gets basically no EVDO signal.

Does anyone know what the asu value is to the right of the dbm value on the left for signal strength? Is it the EVDO signal strength?

Here are a couple of pics of the Eris' screen showing the signal strength at both 0 dbm and -97 dbm.

I'm going to be calling Verizon customer service later and inquire what they can do about getting us a Network Extender so we can use the Droids over VOIP on our wireless network on cable internet. I'm definitely not paying the $250 retail price for the Network Extender though. If they don't give it to me with a hefty discount, the Eris is going back and Verizon is going to lose out on the extra $30/month email/data plan that we had to add to the line for the Eris.
    Last edited by xliderider; 12-08-09 at 02:07 AM.
    12-08-09 02:00 AM
    I have both the Eris and the droid and encountered almost the opposite effect on calls. The Eris is substantially clearer and never drops whereas the droid is psoradic
    12-08-09 02:17 AM
    An FYI for anyone on the Moto Droid vs. HTC Eris fence: I got an Eris for my wife with the BOGO offer this past weekend. We live in a marginal signal area, and the Eris keeps dropping calls. I checked the signal strength on the Eris and it actually cycles between about -97 dbm to 0 on signal strength. I thought it was a defective Eris, so we got the phone exchanged for a new one today, and it is doing the same thing.

My Moto Droid has about -86 to -89 dbm signal strength when side by side with the Eris and does not drop calls, but the EVDO signal goes in and out. The Eris gets basically no EVDO signal.

Does anyone know what the asu value is to the right of the dbm value on the left for signal strength? Is it the EVDO signal strength?

Here are a couple of pics of the Eris' screen showing the signal strength at both 0 dbm and -97 dbm.

I'm going to be calling Verizon customer service later and inquire what they can do about getting us a Network Extender so we can use the Droids over VOIP on our wireless network on cable internet. I'm definitely not paying the $250 retail price for the Network Extender though. If they don't give it to me with a hefty discount, the Eris is going back and Verizon is going to lose out on the extra $30/month email/data plan that we had to add to the line for the Eris.
    I didn't experience dropped calls owning both phones, but the call quality on the droid is far superior...the Eris hardware is as old as the old g1. If you get an Eris, don't expect it to perform like the droid....because it won't.
    12-08-09 10:55 AM
    Users who received the 2.0.1 update for the droid say it cleans up the choppiness on switching between screens and apps. The droid is the superior hardware.

That being said I do love the Sense UI, the only thing that turns me off of things such as Sense and even MotoBlur, is that in order to update to say Android 2.0 or 2.1, Sense has to be up to date to run the new firmware.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, because I honestly don't know, but doesn't Sense or MotoBlur running on top of Vanilla Android use more system memory, so the phones with vanilla would be snappier?
    12-08-09 11:27 AM
    The Droid is a powerhouse, it's as simple as that. The Eris is a great device too, but like others have said it is outdated hardware.

12-08-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD