So I am thinking of switching to the Android platform. You guys still gungho on the droid, or is waiting for the Nexus 1 the move to make? Im on Verizon and not switching.
    01-08-10 12:02 PM
    So I am thinking of switching to the Android platform. You guys still gungho on the droid, or is waiting for the Nexus 1 the move to make? Im on Verizon and not switching.
    They are both gonna have pluses and minuses. Since u have the S2 just wait til spring
    01-08-10 12:06 PM
    They are both gonna have pluses and minuses. Since u have the S2 just wait til spring
    Whats the thought process on the S2 and waiting for the Nexus?
    01-08-10 12:09 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting until the Spring for my first Android phone. The Droid to me is very ugly, the keyboard is nothing compared to my Tour, and sliders aren't my thing. However both phones perform very well according to reviews, and one is really not an upgrade to another. So its all based off preference.
    01-08-10 12:10 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting until the Spring for my first Android phone. The Droid to me is very ugly, the keyboard is nothing compared to my Tour, and sliders aren't my thing. However both phones perform very well according to reviews, and one is really not an upgrade to another. So its all based off preference.
    I dont have a problem with Sliders.

Probably should have been more clear. I'm not so much asking about people views of the nexus one, its more of has the Droid lost any luster. I liked the droid alot and since android is really moving along, it was more of a, "the droid was great but now.................." sort of deal.
    01-08-10 12:13 PM
    Whats the thought process on the S2 and waiting for the Nexus?
    My thought process is this u already have a new phone. So I say wait so you can compare them side by side and see how u like them in hand.
    The Droid is a nice phone; if u got that u would be very happy. But since something new is just around the corner I say just wait. Unless u absolutely cannot.
    01-08-10 12:14 PM
    My thought process is this u already have a new phone. So I say wait so you can compare them side by side and see how u like them in hand.
    The Droid is a nice phone; if u got that u would be very happy. But since something new is just around the corner I say just wait. Unless u absolutely cannot.
    Patience has never been a big virtue of mine. So you're still happy with the droid? hardware holding up? Keyboard is now great ect ect.
    01-08-10 12:15 PM
    I dont have a problem with Sliders.

Probably should have been more clear. I'm not so much asking about people views of the nexus one, its more of has the Droid lost any luster. I liked the droid alot and since android is really moving along, it was more of a, "the droid was great but now.................." sort of deal.
    No, IMO the Droid hasn't lost any luster. Even after the N1, it will continue to be one of Androids and VZW flagship phones. If you're happy and really like the Droid, then why wait for the N1? Go out and get the Droid, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it.

You'll even be getting Android 2.1 very soon, which is one of the main selling points of the N1.
    01-08-10 12:19 PM
    It's all personal preference. If I were in the OP's situation, I'd try the Droid for 30 days and if I didn't like it, I'd return it, sell the BB, and use a dumbphone/iPod Touch until Spring and then purchase the N1.

They are pretty much the same phones except for the fact that the N1 is faster and doesn't offer a physical keyboard.
    Why would I sell my BB and use a dumbphone. i would just use my BB until spring.
    01-08-10 12:24 PM
    Patience has never been a big virtue of mine. So you're still happy with the droid? hardware holding up? Keyboard is now great ect ect.
    The Droid is a nice phone; I tweaked the keyboard (del key) because I
    didn't have my rubber case on properly and tried to close it.
    So they sent me anoter one; also I figured it may have been the software I had loaded on it after I did a factory reset. But when I pressed the power button it didn't put the Droid into sleep mode. So they sent me another one.
    So that is two; maybe I will set it up for a possible multifru just in case I like the nexus 1 better. But overall the phone is great. Imo the best on the VZ
    network right now. U won't go wrong with either one.
    I am curious though I have a racing game called Raging Thunder it is a race car game. When that game gets reved up there is a slight lag sometimes.
    So I wonder if the Nexus 1 with a faster cpu would show any lag?
    I plan on looking at this when it come out trust me.
    01-08-10 12:25 PM
    It's all personal preference. If I were in the OP's situation, I'd try the Droid for 30 days and if I didn't like it, I'd return it, sell the BB, and use a dumbphone/iPod Touch until Spring and then purchase the N1.

They are pretty much the same phones except for the fact that the N1 is faster and doesn't offer a physical keyboard.
    Did you even finish reading my post?
    01-08-10 12:26 PM
    No, IMO the Droid hasn't lost any luster. Even after the N1, it will continue to be one of Androids and VZW flagship phones. If you're happy and really like the Droid, then why wait for the N1? Go out and get the Droid, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it.

You'll even be getting Android 2.1 very soon, which is one of the main selling points of the N1.
    Well I am; and with your statements I agree, especially with the last one.
    Some were saying this phone would smoke the Droid not the case.
    Especially since one new owner said if u have a Droid u really wouldn't be overly impressed by the phone. A Droid owner would be impressed but he would definitely be ok with his/her Droid
    01-08-10 12:30 PM
    Did you even finish reading my post?
    I did. and I just read it again. maybe I'm missing your point.
    01-08-10 12:30 PM

I think Im going to pull the trigger. Can probably get 300 for my S2 if I like the droid to make the hit a bit easier to take.
    01-08-10 12:33 PM
    The Droid has not lost any luster. I can actually care less about the N1 (don't get me wrong, it's a really nice phone). A better Android device will probably be out by the time Verizon gets the N1. The Droid is a great device and will be receiving 2.1 shortly. No multitouch (apps can use multitouch though), but the N1 doesn't have it either.
    01-08-10 12:39 PM
    I think Im going to pull the trigger. Can probably get 300 for my S2 if I like the droid to make the hit a bit easier to take.
    I am perfectly happy with my droid. I have found no real draw of the N1 over the Droid. My screen is big and beautiful, and its fast as **** (not in raw CPU speed compared to the N1 but remember the Droid has a core dedicated to graphics, N1 does not if I have read correct).

the ONLY reason and literally the ONLY reason I would want to switch to the N1 is because its an HTC phone which means that it has space devoted to it on XDA. And i LOVE XDA
    01-08-10 12:42 PM
    All media is side loaded, correct? any issues with transfering non DRM Itunes tracks?
    01-08-10 12:43 PM
    I'd rather have the HTC Bravo than the N1. As for the Droid, I feel that some are trying to downplay it in order to justify buying the nwer toy. Though you have Droid faithfuls who are determined to say Droid is better than phone is out, including the future. I love the looks, feel, and speed of the N1, but when the Droid gets 2.1 upgrade, it's going to be a matter of personal preference. Both devices aren't superior over the other, and I feel that you should purchase the Motorola Droid. You could always keep it in mid condition and sell it for a great profit, once the Nexus One come out.
    01-08-10 12:49 PM
    I've had (I should say we-it's my wife's) the Droid for a couple weeks and it's a fine phone. To me the main reason to wait is to have a slimmer, lighter phone in the Nevus 1. The Droid's physical keyboard is not necessary so it adds bulk without adding utility imo. My wife GOT the Droid because she wanted that keyboard and now she doesn't use it. It's very hard to type on compared to the screen keyboard (and she came from a Curve). In short, it's worthless to her now, but she doesn't care because she never pockets her phone. She actually like the heavier style. From what I've read the phone functions will be about identical, screens the same, features the same. Just decide if you can deal with the Brick Factor and if so get a Droid.
    01-08-10 12:54 PM
    The Droid still looks good to me but I would rather have the Nexus 1. IMO.
    01-08-10 12:56 PM
    I was ready to wait for the N1 even though my upgrade is in a few days. That is until I played with the Droid in a local store. I will not be waiting. I figure if I like the N1 a whole lot I can sell the Droid or just buy the N1 at full retail. I know it is a matter of preference but to me the Droid is definitely worth buying. I know most people don't like it but I actually loved the slide out keyboard. I was typing on it just as fast as I can on my Curve. Of course that is just my opinion and I think the best advice would be to try a Droid in a store for a while and if it isnt for you then wait.

On a side not I can't believe that the Eris is also a really great device! If I didn't have a love for physical keyboards I may have decided to get the Eris. No it isn't as good as the Droid hardware wise but it actually impressed me how easy it was to use as well.
    01-08-10 01:36 PM
    I would say either get the Droid now or don't get either unless you wouldn't mind going for something full retail if another device comes out in the summer. The reason I say this is because the Nexus right now is only marginally better than the Droid in certain areas. But if you wait for the Nexus, it may be a little outdated by the summer time if something else hits the market. It will come down to personal preference, physical keyboard or not.
    01-08-10 02:33 PM
    The Nexus one comes with more RAM and ROM than the Droid. Plus the faster CPU. wait till spring. i wish i woulda known, i woulda bought the Eris online for $10 from amazon and then bought the nexus in spring instead of spending $300 - $100 mail in rebate for the droid.

Don't get me wrong though, the droid is a great device, but for something to come out a few months later that will be around the same price and have better hardware, no question about it. I woulda waited.
    01-08-10 02:38 PM
    Well the N1 is labeled by Google and they'll be pushing it to other carriers later this year so it's kind of hard to think that another Android device will release that will also be significantly better than the N1 itself.

Don't get me wrong but I don't think the N1 was made to be an upgrade from the Droid (obviously); More so, I think it was meant to be a hardware improvement (more modern/stylish looking than the Droid) to compete with both the sleek look of both the iPhone's hardware and software.

Of course, I expect a newer version of the iPhone to release this summer and not just for AT&T but for other carriers in the U.S. These are pretty much the only platforms I'm currently interested in anyway.

You really can't go wrong with either the N1 or the Droid but I'd definitely go with the N1 because of the doubled RAM and snapdragon processor (and because I'm on T-Mobile of course) - thus making it a faster device overall.

Also, it's only a matter of time before the N1 releases in stores and other plan options. Of course this is likely to happen because many people would find it to be a hassle to go through any phone issues online instead of directly through a store. That's why I'm waiting at least until spring/summer to get it.
    There will be a slew of Android devices next year. The problem you'd have with buying the Nexus in the spring is the same problem people have with buying the Droid now. In a couple months something will come out that will be better and we'll regret losing our upgrade. I would expect more Android devices to come to VZW and other carriers by next fall which would mostly likely only be a few months since the Nexus came there. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with either device, but in my opinion, might as well get the Droid now instead of waiting a few months for a device that's only marginally better in certain areas. I also think it has to do with preference. Touchscreen or not.

This is why I buy most of my phones at retail. I'm not tied to contracts, and I always sell the device I currently have to offset the cost so I usually come out paying the upgrade price without actually using an upgrade
    01-08-10 03:28 PM
    I would grab the Droid. Not sure if if it's a T-Mo problem or it's an HTC problem but there are a lot of coverage problems happening right now.

HTC is not known for the best hardware so I would err on the side of caution and grab the Moto Droid.

Google/HTC/T-Mo are all pointing fingers at each other.

Looks to be a Nexus problem though

Spotty 3g? - Google Mobile Help

Google Faces Deluge of Nexus One Complaints - PC World
    01-08-10 03:29 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD